Does Anyone Remember Crossfade?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Manurack, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

Hey everyone. I was watching the movie Drumline on Disney Plus last night. There was an appearance by rapper Petey Pablo and it made me think back to the early 2000's when the PSP, the first PlayStation Portable was released and I was curious to see what Petey Pablo's music video that was part of the PSP Mini dvd sample package.

I decided to Google the music videos that were released on those mini dvds/game discs. Crossfade came up and their song "Cold" came up and I remember I loved the song, the guitar player also plays a Cockstock ESP Horizon 7 string in the video.

Once I enjoy a band, of course I check out their live versions of songs to see how well they performing live. The dude really pumps out the vocals like on the album and he played a Schecter 7 string live. And also, I think the second vocalist is the lead singer for Dry Kill Logic.

Also, who else had a PSP back then? That thing was the shit and blew the Nintendo Gameboys away! I remember that the Tiger Woods PGA Tour was so much fun on that portable console.

SpaceDock, X1X, nikt and 2 others like this.
  2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

I remember that tune, it got me into Rectos

Manurack likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

ah yes the one hit wonder

BMFan30, failsafe and Zhysick like this.
  4. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Actually really dig the instrumental, reminds me of a lot of the Deftones-ish nu metal-ish stuff I've been writing recently. The chorus is all kinds of nice.

Not too big on the vocals though, Kroeger-like vocals never set with me too well even when compared to singers like Fred Durst and Jonathan Davis which many consider cringy.

PSPs were weird man. They felt like a much higher end console than the DS/Gameboy but there just weren't enough games that interested me at the time and I never got around to playing the majority of those that did interest me. Internet access and all of that was cool, but it felt like it was a few years ahead of its time in terms of release and polish/refinement.

5. Big_taco

Big_taco SS.org Regular

"Cold" is a jam.

No idea on anything else they produced.

6. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I honestly only remember this band because we used to joke about a "nu metal lyric generator" that must be churning this stuff out, lol.

7. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I actually only heard this song by them. But that Nostalgia feeling from the PSP made me post this thread. I agree that they do sound like a grunge-ish Nickelback, but this song is still catchy as fuck.

8. chewpac

chewpac working up to 7...

hahahah we joked about that all the time! this is a great example. (pain, insane, go/keep/stay away (a whole godsmack album, for god's sake...), crazy, cold, scarred, etc.)

i remember digging this song, though. haven't thought about it in years, but this was one of those modern rock / radio rock songs that was pretty ok at the time.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

This is like the first time I heard the song in ~15 years, but man I'm actually surprised at the guitarist having chops. Like the lead part is simple, but actually sounds really fluid and vocal, and then BOOM shred scale out of nowhere and then back to post grunge nu metal.

Manurack likes this.
  10. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I'm actually surprised that quite a few members here remember the song. Definitely one from the vault.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I actually remember it before the PSP thing. My brother had a Sony MP3 player with a bunch of 2000s post-grunge and nu metal like Disturbed, SOAD, Staind, Linkin park etc. This song was on there and definitely stuck with me. Then the PSP came along, I got one, and wore out that demo disc because of Crossfade and this little number

12. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I also had an mp3 player! My older brother had an mp3 player as well after the Discman CD players died out, then the Apple iPod took over the world by storm.

I'm actually rocking out to the song on Spotify right now on my LG cell phone... And ya, the guitar solo is pretty damn fluid - something that was absolutely SHUNNED UPON during the Nu Metal era! God, we're old, aren't we?

13. Randy

Randy The Pusterienceā„¢ Super Moderator

I actually don't mind music of that scene/era, that song in particular has always been kinda so-so. When I'm jamming I'll put on a lot of throwback early 2000s stuff, Static-X, Cold, Chevelle, etc and I tried to throw Crossfade into the mix and for whatever the reason it doesn't hold up the same.

As far the PSP goes, I still have one I play to this day! The Vita technology holds up better but with the PSP, I've got a 32gb microsd in a memory card duo converter loaded up with PSX and PSP games. Great time waster. Beats the hell out of Android games.

Manurack likes this.
  14. CM_X5

CM_X5 SS.org Regular

This is reminding me of back before I had a discman, live recording my brothers CD's onto tape cassette. Worst part was I'd use a piece of electrical tape over the top because I was using old thrown away tapes.

Also the PSP as such a weird machine, I remember modding the battery so I could mod the PSP itself to play ROMs.

neurosis likes this.
  15. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

The PSP came out around the same time that the Nintendo GameCube did, were they the same size discs? I can't remember.

16. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

Oh yeah I listened to them here and there back in the day. Their last album was borderline sad/depressing because it sounded like it was their last go at the music industry and their singer was venting about it and his frustrations from not making it really huge on the album from what I remember. ...or at least that's how it came across. Maybe I read into it too much. I didn't listen to it more than a couple of times through. I just remember listening to it and thinking "well...that sucks for you dude. Maybe it's time for you to move on.."

I always thought their singer had a good voice, but the songs just were more/less made for radio.

17. CM_X5

CM_X5 SS.org Regular

Different slightly, GameCube was miniDVD, PSP was UMD slightly smaller disc in a cartridge. Now you're reminding me of minidisc

18. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I am late to this thread. I totally missed this band when they came out but I have listened to this song hundreds of times on car trips in recent years. My wife loves it so it comes up quite frequently. I think it's meh... hahaha. But I like the punch in the production. As far as the PSP, I remember it being a staple for emulation years after its release. A few friends had it and raved about it.

19. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

This is triggering quite the memories. Now I am wondering if baggy pants secretly became a thing so we could carry our discerns in our pockets. I know I did. Imagine those pants. LOL

CM_X5 likes this.
  20. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Holy 2001 bar drinking days.