Does anyone here listen to The Midnight? (80's inspired synthwave)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by QuantumCybin, Mar 15, 2018.

1. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

I wouldn't completely disagree with you, but let me propose to you this...

I think we all listen to The Midnight for a sense of nostalgia. Previous releases were fantastic at being nostalgic because of the 80s sound palette, and were used to write full-pop songs with tempo.

Looking at this new release, I believe it achieves a greater sense of nostalgia by a different path. From a music-composition point of view, interludes/reprise/filler creates an innate sense of longing in their fleeting brevity, which draws on nostalgia in a more raw sense, going beyond simply being "80s". Using an already nostalgic sound to execute it is a beautiful bonus.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    QuantumCybin and anomynous like this.
  2. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

I’ve listened to it four more times. Still feel it’s by far their weakest release. So do a lot of other people apparently, since they deeted their “out now” post on facebook because of all the crticism in the comments.

I’m not sure why they were billing this as an album when it’s significantly shorter than both of their EPs.

AdamMaz likes this.
  3. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Monsieur limiter les dégâts!

4. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Monsieur optimiste :yesway:

5. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Listened to it four or five times now; I really dig it. They probably shouldn’t have dropped as many singles for it as they did, as it’s only a 33 minute record so it does take away the feeling of having an hour of new music or whatever to listen to. Good Tiger made the same mistake when they released We Will All Be Gone; we had already heard half the record by the time it came out.

However, I love the overall atmosphere and mood of the record. People were bitching about lack of saxophone, but I think it would have sounded forced on this record. Tim McEwan also said in an interview he didn’t want to rely on the sax as a crutch or as something that solely defines the sound of The Midnight. The overall theme of youth and being a jaded adolescent is permeable through the whole thing. The lyric “we are not a sentimental age; we don’t want our parents china or their ticker tape parades” is a pretty good description of the attitude I think a lot of younger people feel towards their parents generation (particularly baby boomers).

Solid album though, really enjoying it.

AdamMaz likes this.
  6. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Great thread! I got into Gunship a couple of years ago from this forum. Love their first album- second on pre-order!

I must admit- a lot of the synthwave I've heard is very 'Daft Punk'- very sidechained from the kick drum (like Kavinsky's Outrun- mostly great album- the rap track is a letdown to the rest). Which is OK, but I prefer a bigger cinematic production a la Gunship. Loving the sound of The Midnight. Will listen through these all.

I'd love to do a bit of synthwave myself. Got the synths and ideas. But still can't click with Maschine to get the rhythms down. One day! It'll be retro-retro wave by the time I get there...

7. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Anything specific you're wondering about? I'm pretty handy with Maschine.

thedonal likes this.
  8. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

To be honest, it's a bit since I had a play with it. I got the basics of routing sounds and creating beats. It's just the pattern creation and so on feels a bit odd compared to my DAW (Reaper). I'll persevere soon and make some sense of it.

I've managed a bit of a tune, but it suddenly stops- like a stop has been sent from MTC- Reaper just stops and that's it. Can't work it out. Something to do with the Mackie Control emulation to link the two?

9. QuantumCybin

Dude I love Gunship as well. The whole album they have is superb the whole way through but Tech Noir and Shadow Fury are so great. That inital synth riff in Shadow Fury makes me feel like I should be playing some 80’s side scroller.

thedonal likes this.
  10. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Yeah. It's The Mountain for me- the way it comes in and that big glissando. Proper VHS retro! Nice to hear the mighty John Carpenter too. His stuff is good- Lost Themes. Might get part II soon..

11. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Kids isn’t clicking with me so far, but at a half hour, I’ll likely give it a couple of listens to see if it does end up clicking. It’s not bad, just... not there yet.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  12. 7soundz

7soundz SS.org Regular

This preview says it all. The new Gunship album sounds outstanding. Very refreshing.

13. ScatteredDimension

ScatteredDimension Sixstring Regular

My personal favorite atm is Carpenter Brut, but more often I seem to lean towards the more calm, and easy going stuff maybe since I exclusively listen to metal except synthwave haha...

Some absolutely brutal self promotion incoming, one of the songs from my synthwave album "released" about one year ago :)

narad likes this.
  14. QuantumCybin

I'm going to see The Midnight in Nashville on the 7th! I'm really stoked Anyone else catching them on this US tour?

15. QuantumCybin

The Midnight SLAYED. Their opening act, Violet Days, was also really effin' good. Go see them live now! I was happy to see Tyler Lyle sounds just as good live as on the records.

zappatton2 likes this.