Does anyone else catalog their gear?

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I keep pictures of the front of the guitars and serial numbers for guitars and my helix, digital copies of receipts, but just for insurance purposes. I try not to have enough gear to have any need for cataloging.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I probably need to do it for my guitars, especially my 75 LP Custom. Just for insurance though. I only have 4 guitars so I can remember all their names and the easiest way to make them wet... wait, what are we talking about

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
I wish I did , I haven't a clue how many and what guitar's I have.

DarrellM5

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Glorious. I've actually been meaning to document more details about the neck thickness and shape, just trying to find a plastic contour gauge that doesn't suck to get an objective idea of the neck shapes.
I have neck thicknesses for my guitars with those specs published. I'm also planning on measuring my others during string changes. That will take a while since I only change strings once a year, which works perfectly for my situation (dry desert, non-acidic sweat, wash hands before playing, wipe down guitars after playing, and spread the playing out between 37 guitars).

One thing I do that I haven’t seen mentioned yet, I take screenshots of the website showing the gear, mostly for the price at the time as well and screenshots of the specs from the manufacturers website (before its taken down when the model is discontinued). It gives me a snapshot in time, which I really enjoy. Plus a quick reference to the specs of my exact model (in case they tweak things in following years).

These screenshots are in a folder along with other pictures of my actual guitar, which includes a picture of the serial number.

Edit: screenshot of the pickup selector options too
I do that as well, with screenshots, my own photos, pickup switching options, etc...

Stiman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I only change strings once a year, which works perfectly for my situation (dry desert, non-acidic sweat, wash hands before playing, wipe down guitars after playing, and spread the playing out between 37 guitars).

This makes me wonder, do string die on their own even when barely played? Assuming you keep them in their case.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
not to that extent but I do have an excel spreadsheet that catalogues every guitar/amp/cab that I've bought since 2000
and I keep tabs of what I paid for it , where I got it from (who) if I still have it and if not how much I sold it for and to who.
the amount of 7 string guitars between 2004 and 2015 that have come and gone is almost embarrassing LOL!

BurningRome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I catalogue my gear with excel too but it's a financial tool.

I'm tracking what I paid, price sold and indicate any fees paid ex. Reverb or Ebay and any other fees like shipping.

It's helped me tremendously especially to know what I need to sell an item for to break even. It's easy to overlook reverb or ebay fees and not build that into what you need to sell your stuff for.

I also use this tool to help me know what to pay for an item.

It also helped me realize I did way to much guitar/effects/amp flipping.

DarrellM5

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This makes me wonder, do string die on their own even when barely played? Assuming you keep them in their case.

I've rarely had a set start to feel dead or lifeless. I know that sweat, body oils, dirt and other things tend to get into the windings and can kill strings fast. Keep in mind that I only play for my own amusement. If I were gigging or doing some serious recording I'd probably want a fresh set of strings. All of my guitars are hanging or in easily accessible racks and I play them a lot. BTW, I go 2 years on bass strings.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, that's a good idea, but I have it tough enough finding a decent enough chunk of time to pick up my guitar, tune it, and work on the exercises I need to work on. If I have to add a database query, filling out a check-out form, and calculating the depreciation of my pick and string assets, then I might as well forget about playing. Heck, at that point, it feels like I should be earning money for doing it - but playing guitar is about spending money and having fun, not about making money and filling out data records. :lol:

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
One thing I do that I haven’t seen mentioned yet, I take screenshots of the website showing the gear, mostly for the price at the time as well and screenshots of the specs from the manufacturers website (before its taken down when the model is discontinued). It gives me a snapshot in time, which I really enjoy. Plus a quick reference to the specs of my exact model (in case they tweak things in following years).

These screenshots are in a folder along with other pictures of my actual guitar, which includes a picture of the serial number.

Edit: screenshot of the pickup selector options too
I'm a bit late to this since my guitars are all out of production. It's a great idea. Regarding the pickup switching, I also have that referenced to whatever is installed. I have a CAD file with the drawings of the wiring schemes used on each guitar, labeled A, B, C, D... per guitar...

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I was restringing my 7620 in 2017 or 2018 when I accidentally ripped the trem claw screws out and needed a repair. I put it in the case with the strings I had put on and let it sit there for 3+ years, got it repaired and the strings sound nearly new, so I would say aside from playing that dust is the main culprit of string deadness.