Does anyone bother about new artists?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HANIAK, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Higher sample rates can be useful for mixing, because it can prevent weird artefacts when using oversampling on newer VST plugins, hence why I'm sure he is all for it.

That doesn't mean that consumers will be able to hear a difference.

Even audiophiles cant hear a difference and if they tell you they are I would bet 500 euros that they wouldn't be able to pick out which is which in a blind test.

I'm not trying to attack you here, but you are coming across as someone who has very basic knowledge but insists he is correct. Maybe it's just because it's a text based forum and there is no tone of voice but that is how I see it.

Lopp, profwoot and gabito like this.
  2. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

It seems like if one needs an excuse to not make music or to not release it, there are always going to be a boatload of 'em. People might not like it. People might like it but find ways to not pay for it. People might pass on by and never hear it. Record companies blah blah blah. Those are reasonable fears, but what are you going to do?

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Well that went worse than I expected.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lopp, Crundles and Demiurge like this.
  4. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Producers/audio engineers are rarely actual engineers with EE degrees. There's plenty of crazy audophile BS found in pro equipment.

sirbuh and budda like this.
  5. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

In my day, you just plugged your platinum warlock into your metal zone and straight into your sound card. You recorded some nasty tracks on cool edit pro and uploaded it to mp3.com and waited for your paypal benjamins to come rolling in.

Knyas, Paul McAleer, Bodes and 6 others like this.
  6. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Hell yeah. Back then, you had to commit to the music you found online... because the mp3 would take 15 minutes to download and take-up 10% of your remaining hard drive space.

7. michael_bolton

michael_bolton SS.org Regular

lol I actually did do this to the T except for the mp3.com part. not sure if it was a platinum - whatever came with that $199 starter package with a warlock and a practice amp.

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I remembered this morning that I'm super behind in XKCD comics and it once again delivers in that "there's an XKCD comic for everything" kind of way:

[​IMG]
    Alt text:
    Blockchains are like grappling hooks, in that it's extremely cool when you encounter a problem for which they're the right solution, but it happens way too rarely in real life.

budda likes this.
  9. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

If you think labels chose based on quality of artist and not marketability, I have some bands for you to invest in.

Ted Pikul likes this.
  10. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

Well we all hated corporate rock, which is understandable, but now that it's gone, many of us have learned that it was actually corporate rock standard practice to take a loss on early product, so bands could have time to ramp up (as long as they had a good A&R person at the label to defend them).

There are labels, like Matador, which clearly care about music (not just profit), and can be trusted to put out good music (though one might not like all of it). So that's one way I still find stuff. And the old Firefly software still works on Amazon, though I hate to admit it...it's how I found out about Plastikman a while ago. Like-minded friends remain a primary source of new and NOS stuff.

Do people on this forum know about Nadja? The band?

11. ThomasUV777

ThomasUV777 SS.org Regular

Can I jump right in and piss people off again, now that everything has calmed down a bit? Ok great!

I wrote a paper once on how piracy declined as the convenience of streaming services increased (pro rata the amount of people that have internet) and prices of said services went down. Even (former) hardcore pirates acknowledged that they switched over for this very reason.

TL;DR TedEH is correct.

Lopp and budda like this.
  12. michael_bolton

michael_bolton SS.org Regular

I would imagine it's that + being able to easily purchase high quality digital media for a reasonable price. back in the day even if you had a CD (let alone vinyl) you'd need to find a way to rip it etc etc.

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

If I might make a recommendation that if we want to talk about piracy (IMO it's an interesting topic in itself) that we take it to a new thread so as not to derail this one any more than we already did.

14. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

Good thread and /thread

Gosh, I was like one of those kids in India watching the Shaktimaan (Superman) TV serial and then throwing himself off the building expecting Shaktimaan to save him the way I was expecting @bulb to show up and save me with the skinny on NFTs.

Oh well, "Banzai"

15. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

Speaking only for myself, I got less & less into piracy when digital albums became the norm. I didn't (and still don't) have space for CD cases & stuff. I just wanted the music. Digital albums tend to be cheaper than physical CDs too. That works for me.

And sure, I'll check out new bands every now and then.

16. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Watched a somewhat related rant on Rick beato’s channel this morning. he makes a good point on labels putting work into developing new artists.

HANIAK likes this.
  17. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

Oversampling removes "mirroring" artifacts. It doesn't introduce them.

18. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

I've never really used streaming services, since my computer isn't the best in the sound department, but I always find new stuff, either in chat forums (like this one), from friends and fanzines, or on Youtube deep-dives. As to pirating, I admit I do download all sorts of MP3s through "illicit means". That said, I tend to only focus on;
    a) stuff I have on CD/vinyl that didn't come with a download card, or
    b) stuff I want to check out before throwing an album on my wantlist (and physical albums are by faaaar my biggest luxury expense)

Does that make it right? Probably not, but for me it's the same difference as getting a friend to copy me their album on tape before I commit to buying the real deal. I'm sure I'm not the only one, in the context of die-hard music collectors.

Though I'll also say that ever since my iPod starting wearing down in battery life, I pretty much just use iTunes to pre-arrange a playlist before I make a mix tape. Not sure that's terribly relatable.

19. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

Annoys me no end when I buy a CD and find some great song and then tell a friend about it, only to have him always say, "Oh, I have it in my mp3 collection".

More often than not, he downloads it after the fact.

Also, most guys with mp3 collections seem to have so much music that they usually don't know what's on it. I mean literally hundreds of gigabytes of songs, because they just grabbed some torrent that said "Brutal metal" or something like that.

Seems pointless to me, it's just on the hard drive because it was out there for free.

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Why does it bother people that others don't consume media the same way?