Does anyone bother about new artists?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HANIAK, Mar 23, 2021.

1. HANIAK

HANIAK SS.org Regular

Just a rant and thought that I'm having lately...

Being an artist has always been really hard, but nowadays no one seems to bother listening to new artists with absolutely no background. It seams almost impossible to break through.
    I know it should be done "just for the fun of doing it", but is it really that simple? Doing music you like but no one cares about it? Is it somewhat "bearable" doing it for long?
    I remember that in the 00's there was a huge search for new and upcoming bands. Currently, people seem to listen to 10secs and skip to the next track or artist they care. Attention span is becoming a myth ahaha :)

Let me kow your thoughts on this! :)

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The landscape is just so different now, and it seems to morph every generation, whether we like it or not.

Back when I was a teenager, if you wanted to hear new music you either had to wade through stacks of records, or go to live shows. So you only knew of acts established enough to record an LP and play live shows, and local stuff was so hit or miss because serviceable gear was so expensive.

Now, you have dozens of apps shooting thousands of bands at you and it's almost impossible to cut through the static.

3. VibTDog

VibTDog who farted?

What do you expect to happen? If you are questioning if anything is "bearable" then you shouldn't even be doing it.

4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Echoing what Max said when I was growing up pre-internet it was the record labels that introduced you to new bands. Examples are from a roadrunner live show with a bunch of label bands on the bill or on a compilation Nuclear Blast DVD showing off a pick of their band's videos from the past few years. On top of that magazines would let you know about new albums or upcoming new bands. Trivium on the cover of metal hammer proclaiming they're the new Metallica was a prime example.

With the early days of the internet you could just upload your music to My Space or Youtube and it would generate an audience from people simply stumbling upon it. I got into hundreds of artists from that way alone. The glory days of youtube are long dead now though. The whole music landscape is so oversaturated and in your face that you need to work really hard to break through. Simply having good music isn't enough. You need to have a wide set of social media and management skills. You also have to remember anyone can record an album in their bedroom and self release it every streaming website. Every single one of those releases is fighting for reach and there is a finite audience to go round.

Attention span if very low nowadays so you need to hit hard and fast with any promotion. To break through you need a visual element nowadays because so many people will come across your band on social media and many of those will have their phone on mute so you need to encourage people to unmute and listen.

Lets see your socials and we can give some tips if you want. The average age for dropping out of the music industry is about 30 when people decide it isn't working but its always something you can do on the side.

5. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Yes, it's that simple.

Because after that becomes resentment and bitterness, which isnt going to make you more likeable or move more units.

If you dont believe your art is worth making, why should anybody else?

6. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

If I encounter a new artist that I enjoy, I'm happy about it. That said, chances of those encounters have become more & more disparate. Indeed, in the pre-modern streaming days, your exposure to artists was, for better or worse, curated in one way shape or form (like radio, MTV, label promo). Nowadays, while there is some level of curation, we know that what the radio plays or what the major labels promote is just a tiny sliver of the music out there, leaving us to do a lot of searching on our own. You know what that takes? Time? You know what people seem to have less and less of? At least for myself, with the little time I have to listen to music, there's a high likelihood that I'm going to spin something I know & like to relax than to go searching for something new (which I still do).
    EDIT: This could just be me getting old, of course.

7. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i am always trying to find new music. i gotta admit i am a sucker for good artwork for some reason haha. but if someone tells me to check out a band i will. fairly recently i have found brand of sacrifice, defamed, distant, angelmaker, bonecarver and a few others.

its odd because i am the opposite with tv. i just watch the same crap over and over again and rarely find new shows but for music i am much more open to finding new stuff. but i listen to about 6-8 hours of music a day and just turn the tv on before bed so thats probably a big factor.

aesthyrian, Fis:Destroyer and Rosal76 like this.
  8. Mboogie7

Mboogie7 SS.org Regular

Personally speaking, I used to want to “make it big”, and swore I would make it happen. This was my mindset through my High school years and a bit into college.

At some point, I came to this realization that I want to do this for me. If others (those that have heard me play) like it, cool beans, but I’ve learned that I prefer being a bedroom guitarist without the idea of chasing success. Basically, writing music is for me and me alone (everyone needs a hobby, right?).

But to circle back to the overall question of finding new music - I’ll be the first to admit that I get stuck in my own world of artists that I already love. I have no problem diving into new artists/music (and I’ve found some wonderful music) but that typically has happened by going to see live music.

If I’m looking on the interwebs though, melody is everything for me to be sucked in. If you’ve got a good melody, I’m sold.

Ataraxia2320, Wildebeest and Rosal76 like this.
  9. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I would wonder if it's less an attention span issue and more just that there's overwhelming mountains of content out there fighting for what attention we do have - and just about everything now is made to poke at your FOMO. On the creators side, the barriers to entry being pretty low for creating just about any kind of consumable content means you're competing with all those heaps of people vying for those same tiny slices of people's attention.

I won't claim to know any "secrets" to "success" - my gut reaction to "why is X so much harder now than before?" is almost always that there's still the same limited number of "successes", people who "make it", become known, etc. - but the numbers of people competing is much higher. Therefor, percentage of successes vs. overall goes way down.

zappatton2 and Demiurge like this.
  11. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

I try, but most emerging metal bands sounding exactly the same doesn't help. Those 10secs are indeed enough for me to hear the same old shit and close the track.

It's not about attention span, it's about not liking what I hear.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Noodler, LordHar, jbaxter and 3 others like this.
  12. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Yeah, this.

Music just isn't good enough. Metal is stale as shit, and it's all the same stuff over and over again. I can't spend my life wading through uninteresting music and riffs that I already heard a million times before.

If there is a one-in-a-million band that's actually good, cool, tell me about it and I'll give it a listen but I don't have time to actively search for it.

13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I keep checking out whatever new bands Spotify for example throws at me, and from time to time I tend to find new stuff I like. So, at least I do :shrug:
    I'm some kind of relic though, as I still mostly listen to full albums instead of individual songs etc.

I do mostly agree on what OP is saying about attention spans and all that, but if you just stick to it, you'd think you'd attract somekind of following at some point.

gabito likes this.
  14. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

I think this is why we're seeing the new model of bands being more multi-modal such as having more internet / social media presence. Back in the day selling merch and copies of your album at your shows was enough.

Then there was MySpace, which was great because there wasnt any competition.

Now, you really need to push your music on multiple platforms (Youtube, IG, FB, forums, etc) consistently, especially to break through the algorithms. Also, attaching yourself to other bands such as a lot of the djent bands do on tour.

Is Periphery the best djent band? Are they the original or the most original in their "genre"? Regardless, they are the best at what I mentioned.

p0ke likes this.
  15. HANIAK

HANIAK SS.org Regular

Thanks for the debate guys! Lots of good food for thought here!
    The mySpace era was indeed the best internet era for musicians. Nowadays there's too much "noise", as some of you say, and I agree!
    The thing is social media is becoming more and more saturating too. I mean, I hate all the spam and noise on FB, IG and all the likes.
    Nowadays, I still search for music, but the old fashion way adapted to new technology, which for me is navigating through bandcamp :) I do awesome discoveries every day, with lots of amazing artists, but some don't even make decent sales (despite the talent).
    Do you guys prefer to be proposed to new music, or do you enjoy searching for it?

[I must say though, that when I posted this I wasn't talking about my specific situation, as some of you implied. I'm not trying to make it (anymore, at least), and I'm way over 30 :) I make music for fun, and I have lots of fun doing it!]

16. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I just don't like 99% of new stuff i hear. I'm far more likely to discover something new to me that i like from the 90's or 80's. But then i don't like djent or hardly any "progressive" metal. I don't bother actively searching for new music anymore, but i do click on videos i see people suggesting here. I think i've found 2 new bands i like in the last 3 years :(

vilk, Wildebeest, feilong29 and 2 others like this.
  17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I don’t have time to search for new stuff. So if Spotify doesn’t nail a new artist rec I won’t even find it. When I like what I hear I save it to a playlist to check out later. And typically it ends up being a band with no less than 3 albums already. It’s rarely a “new” band or artist.

Emperoff likes this.
  18. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Interesting to see fond remembrance of MySpace for music. All I remember was that the picosecond the story broke of some shit band getting a deal after being "discovered" on the site, my inbox was flooded with bandspam: "Bro, I see you like Porcupine Tree and Nevermore, come check out my ska band!!!!"

gabito, Nlelith, Bodes and 3 others like this.
  19. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

It's gotta be proposed, I don't have time to look for stuff.
    I have exactly one friend whom I actively discuss music with, like "have you heard band X, they're kinda like band Y but different in way Z and I imagine you might like it", and then there's the suggestions on Spotify (which tend to hit surprisingly close). I also frequently check out stuff people share on SSO.
    But that's about it.

Mathemagician likes this.
  20. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Now that the bar for entry in order to make music has been pretty much annihilated, there is far, far too much music out there to wade through. I mean, truly, there is just too much. It's impossible to (as Max said) cut through the static.

Think about it. Years/decades ago, the bar for entry to be a performing band in the music industry required getting a record made, which meant studio time was required and then subsequent touring afterwards in order to promote the record and sell merch. Did every band at the time have the immense funds in order to enter a studio and even more immense funds to provide support for themselves while out on tour? HELL NO. The bar for entry was astronomically high. Thus came the emergence and importance of record labels stepping in to provide funding/marketing/management power at the cost of owning the finished product and taking points (financially, for profit) off the band's sales in exchange.

Nowadays, anyone can invest a few hundred or a few thousand dollars in gear, invest a few (or many) hours of learning, and put out a polished, industry-standard release from their bedrooms thanks to the help of distribution platforms and dirt-cheap mass publishers. Label funding is no longer needed. And from there, bands can stockpile funding through various means (sales, crowdfunding, connecting with other artists for favors, etc.) that will allow them to get pulled onto a tour package and hit the road to tour. Again, label funding is no longer needed.

Anyway, to bring this full-circle, my point is that the bar for entry has been smashed. And thus, it has allowed an excessive over-saturation of musicians releasing music into the world. And like I said, it's just too much. There is too much out there. New artists who want to have an honest go at the music biz nowadays can't hope to cut through unless they possess very strong producing skills, very strong social media understanding, and very strong marketing skills. (Having a good, marketable, forward-facing personality also helps.) Even then, having an audience isn't guaranteed due to the over-saturation. -- For many new artists, making the investment to learn all of these newly required skills and knowledge is just too much. (Heck, I'm not even a musical artist and it's just too much for me to learn in my free time with my day job.) But perhaps you could consider having very strong producing skills, very strong social media understanding, and very strong marketing skills as the new bar for entry in the music biz. You could perceive the bar as no longer being a financial one.

Noodler, Emperoff and VGK17 like this.