Does anybody know where i could get a 9 string, fanned fret guitar?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by asdf1234, Jan 15, 2012.

1. asdf1234

asdf1234 New Member

I've been looking into getting a Agile Septor Elite 928, but also it seems like it would be a good idea to get a multiscale guitar, but agile doesn't have multiscale 9 string guitars that isn't in the custom shop which doesn't ship until september (maybe its a little impatient of me, but i don't want to wait that long). Also the one in the custom shop only has one pickup, and i would prefer two. So does anybody know if I could find a multiscale 9 string that isn't VERY expensive?Maybe like $800.00 - $1200.00 would be a good price range for me.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

So you want a 9-string, fanned fret guitar with two pickups for under $1500 available immediately?

Don't we all? :lol:

Really though, you're not really going to find anything that fits all of your requirements. If you want cheap get ready to wait and run the risk of getting a piece of junk. You want instant, you're going to have to make some concessions on specs or shell out a good deal more cash.

3. asdf1234

asdf1234 New Member

Hmmm, oh well, i did see one on here that someone was selling one for $750.00, but that has already been sold. I'm just not sure how to estimate a price on something like that since i haven't really seen one for sale (except for the conklin one, but it doesn't say the price).

4. MaxOfMetal

Choose what you really want.

Do you want something right now? Even if it means sacrificing quality and/or specs?
    Do you want something cheap? Even if you have to wait awhile and, once again, risk quality?

Most shops are going to charge about $2k+ for what you're asking, and you're going to be looking at anywhere from 8 to 16 months for completion.

5. Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad Member

Google the website for luthier Rick Toone, then email or phone him. I don't think anyone will make what you want on your price point but he makes the coolest guitars with the kind of features you're talking about. So call him.

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I think that was a Roter. Not sure that's what you'd be after because there were a lot of problems with that run.

But the short answer to your question is no, you cannot get what you want. Basically what Max said. And the Conklin is likely to be waaaaaay out of your price range.

7. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, Conklin fanned 9s start at $6400 and there's something like a one year wait.

8. in-pursuit

in-pursuit SS.org Regular

you could always shoot Tom over at www.oaklandaxefactory.com an email and see what he could do for you. I think you'll find his prices to be pretty close to your budget, his specs to be exactly what you're looking for, his quality to be very good and his build time to be the closest your gonna get to instant gratification for a guitar like this, unless you buy second hand of course.

9. asdf1234

asdf1234 New Member

The guitars at oaklandaxefactory look pretty close to what im looking for (even though they are 10 strings, i consider that a plus :) ). I'll just have to save up some more before that can happen. Would the 9 strings he makes be considered a custom?

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Not sure. But he's definitely your best bet. Siggery (in the UK) also does very reasonably priced 9s. Keep in mind that both are above your price range, but are still very good deals. And their build times are very short, comparatively speaking.

Have you thought of just placing a "Want to Buy" ad on the for sale pages here? There are a few fanned 9s floating around, so you never know if someone might want to sell if they know there's a buyer. It can't hurt.

11. asdf1234

asdf1234 New Member

I looked at Siggery, and that 9 string they have does look very nice aswell. I'll think about maybe putting up a want to buy ad, but ill check Oaklandaxefactory and Siggery first.

12. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    You should definitely read the full rules on posting a classified before doing so. I think there's a minimum amount of substantive posts needed before you're considered to be contributing to the discussions here, and the Public Ban List has many instances of people ignoring that point....

13. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Also 6 Months join time, so you'll have to wait 6 months :lol: You can always keep you're eye out on the forums and if one pops up just message them, you can buy.. just not sell.

You missed the Oakland Axe run by about 2 months, I think he had basic builds starting at $1000 which is incredibly cheap for a custom.

14. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

15. in-pursuit

in-pursuit SS.org Regular

damn straight it's not for sale!! how did you go, did you get in contact with anyone from Siggery or OAF?

16. shredguitar7690

shredguitar7690 NEED MORE STRINGS!!

17. galacticmind

galacticmind Member

:scratch: lol i just found this funny...:lol:

18. Rap Hat

Rap Hat the:pawn.project

I'll agree with others on OAF (disclosure: I have a build with him), but also mention that your request is pretty uncommon (in specs, not in price :lol:) You're almost guaranteed a wait, and it'll prob. be 3-4 months minimum up to 12 depending on who you go with. For OAF, it'll also be around $1500-2000 if he'll do a semi (which is hella cheap tbh). But you don't pay all at once (50-50) so you get the build time to save up the rest.

If you want a decent instrument, expect to spend more than $750. Cost is where Agile wins out, and a least with semi-customs you can pick some specs. Have you tried contacting Kurt about a 2 pickup fanned 9? He might be able to help, they had a dual 9 fanned in regular stock as of around a month ago, so it should be back eventually. Also Agiles aren't bad or anything, and the issues people do have with QC can usually be fixed by contacting Kurt.

19. Warlock_420

Warlock_420 Member

If you look at rondos site it says the pre order is for a pendulum pro dual. Which means it would have two pickups. And the the specs for it says the guitar will have two pickups not one as pictured.

20. kge808

kge808 Member