Does Anybody Know About Peavey Clasic 50 4x10 Amps?

AngryMcMuffin

Reaction score
Hey, I have the chance to get this Peavey Classic 50 4x10 amp, I just don't know if the price is right, I think the amp will suit my needs, but he's not willing to go any lower on it. I've attached a picture of the ad, which has a crappy picture of the amp itself. Please help me out, I'm aching for a tube amp and if this will quench my thirst then I'm going to buy it. He's asking $350 by the way, said he's played about fifty gigs with it.

Edit: The picture didn't attach, dang it. Anyhow, here's the link then. https://knoxville.craigslist.org/msg/4432886218.html
wdU9nKsMAxLEQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Last edited:

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
I mean, well, if you wanna play the shit out of some country you found your amp!

3 12ax7s, 4 el84s and 4 blue marvel speakers are litterally the last thing I would expect to play metal through. JMO.

AngryMcMuffin

Reaction score
Well, I would want to play some metal, but most metal amps I don't like. Other than old Marshalls and some Oranges I can't even come close to affording for a few more years. But I also want to b able to get a rock or country type sound out of it, so this would be good?

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I would want to play some metal, but most metal amps I don't like. Other than old Marshalls and some Oranges I can't even come close to affording for a few more years. But I also want to b able to get a rock or country type sound out of it, so this would be good?

Totally man.

MrMcSick

Derp
Reaction score
I would def skip on this. You seem to be getting it just because its a tube amp. Its not meant for metal AT ALL. It was designed to compete with Fender hot rod deluxe/Deville's. I've never heard one but have thought about picking one up for its intended purpose which would be cleans/blues/jazz/country/rock. Its not going to do what you want and you're not going to be happy with the sound. Just get a solid state amp or a cheap tube amp that's more focused on rock/metal like a Peavey Valveking or B52 AT100 or older peavey or randall or crate or something. You can usually pick up a B52 head for around $200 and then pick up a cheap cab like a peavey/crate or something for $150-200 and you'll be much happier plus have room to upgrade.

_MonSTeR_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I borrowed one many years ago but not at all for metal, just britpop and it sounded great.

You could probably put a decent distortion pedal in front to get a decent metal sound, but. It's not designed to cope with modern metal sounds though so you'd have to rely on pedals or processors. That said the basic amp sound is good so it's not a bad place to start.

With regards to the cost, the best thing to do is to scope out completed items on eBay, that will tell you what they actually sold for rather than how much guys on a forum think they 'should' go for ;)

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I used to have a peavey classic 20 (15 watts, 1x10 combo, otherwise the same) and it was a cool little amp, but definitely not a metal amp, even boosted. You'd need a distortion pedal for sure.

AngryMcMuffin

Reaction score
I've got a distortion ad overdrive pedal setup, staging my gain ya know. And I'm not looking to get super heavy distortion from an amp itself unless it's an old Marshall or a new Orange, but like I said, I can't afford those right now. I'm also not looking for a modern distortion sound, all modern distortion sounds like is EMGs and sterile metalcore to me.

To MonSTeR: I'll definitely check ebay, I hadn't thought to do that yet.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just find an old Peavey Butcher or VTM. They're pretty much JCM800s, with the VTM having extra features.

AngryMcMuffin

Reaction score
Just find an old Peavey Butcher or VTM. They're pretty much JCM800s, with the VTM having extra features.

Are they all tube? I think I saw a Butcher a while back, but had no clue what it was and wasn't in the market for an amp at the time. They only come in heads right?

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Butcher/VTM are all-tube. Like I said, they're JCM800 clones and only come in heads.

Another amp to look for is the Marshall Mosfet if you want a head. It's SS, but it does that Marshall sound you want better than most tube amps in the price range (sub-$400 - $500). I've seen these go around $200 - $300 used.

And can get heavy with a boost.

But if you MUST have a tube amp, the Jet City JCA20 will probably best. It's a tamer version of the JCA22, JCA50, and JCA100, but can get metal-y with a boost.

celticelk

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Laney AOR is also basically a JCM clone; Laney made both 50 and 100 watt heads, and I think there were one or two combo versions as well, if you can find them. I just got a 100 from eBay, and I'm loving it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Laney Pro Tubes and AORs are also good. :agreed: They have more gain and have that fat Laneyness to them compared to a JCM, but are still very nice and a lot more common compared to the Peaveys.

AngryMcMuffin

Reaction score
I see, I would dare say I must have a tube amp. Simply because I tend to like tube amps more, and I want an amp I could work with for multiple things by using pedals and whatnot.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Why are you dead set on a tube amp? if you're using a distortion pedal in front to do metal, thats a solid-state gain stage (or gain stages). At that point you're running a mostly-solid-state preamp distortion anyway.

Peavey makes (or made) loads of other cheap tube amps that are better suited for metal, like the XXX, VTM, butcher, valveking, etc.