Do you read manuals for your gear?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by budda, Feb 18, 2021.

Do you read product manuals?

Poll closed Mar 4, 2021.
  1. Hell yeah

69 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. No, who does that?

8 vote(s)
    9.2%
  3. Noodles

10 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I read them. I try to read them before a purchase to make sure the thing does what I want, and to get set up quicker.

What about you?

2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Absolutely. I even read manuals for gear that I don't own. For example Mesa manuals are pretty interesting if you are interested in amps at all.

Azarea, protest, Emperoff and 7 others like this.
  3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I always read the manual. I wouldn’t know my Swollen Pickle had internal trim pots if I didn’t and that’s just one example of “hidden” features I’ve been made aware of by manuals

4. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Cases where I would read the manual: AFX, pedals with hundreds of options
    Cases where I would question my existence reading a manual: Tubescreamer clones, boss pedals

5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Yep. It's why I don't have much time to read "normal" books. Like @laxu , I also read manuals for gear I don't own, software etc.
    - A hard copy with the .pdf in front of you is the best. Hard copy for everything and .pdf for keyword searches and zooming in on pictures or diagrams.
    - I've learned more from manuals and experimenting with stuff than pretty much anything else.
    - Notable manuals for the not faint of heart; Kurzweil K2000, 25/2600 series, Yamaha, Soundcraft, Digidesign and other mixing consoles, Eventide rack processors, Software Daw's like Reaper, Logic, Ableton.
    - I love block diagrams and straight to the point, raw data, no bs information.
    - Lot's of older manuals are cool for setup and rig ideas and downright wholesome good vibes.
    - Nothings worse than a poorly executed manual, especially when you need to know something specific immediately.
    - Lately I find myself poking around inside the Axe Fx III manual/ Axe Wiki pages, Presonus Studio One, Reaper, and Allen and Heath Q series.

fabronaut, Emperoff and budda like this.
  6. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Depends on what it is

7. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

Depends on the product. I usually will, though I find that it's a lot more convenient when it's provided on an electronic format (ie- PDF on my computer) instead of being only on paper.

jarledge likes this.
  8. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I hate it when I buy something and it doesn’t come with a manual. I find no pleasure in stumbling upon new functions or having to waste time figuring out what a knob does. I buy used a lot so not having a manual is understandable with that kind of purchase. In the case of new equipment I think it’s just lazy not to include a manual.

Ribboz, Emperoff, budda and 1 other person like this.
  9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

This. Except the H9000 manual is barren and useless compared to everything preceding it. Everything complicated in that unit is not explained and everything in the manual can be figured out from the screen.

My Twosie manual is great, my JVM and Herbert manuals are lacking. Chase Bliss manuals are terrific and most other pedals don't need them. Eventide pedal manuals are terrific too. I don't really have anything else that isn't straightforward.

c7spheres likes this.
  10. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- I'm just glad you can get some of the Eventide Manuals as a download now at all.
    - They didn't use to let you download them and maybe some you still can't.
    - When I had a GTR 4000 they wanted $60 for a manual and it was nowhere to be found for download or torrented at the time. - It was like this for a long time with a lot of companies. - Roland and Boss use to be like this too.
    - Glad they seem to be coming around to the idea of people wanting to know if a product can actually do something or not and how to use it before they drop thousands on it.
    - I can see why it was like this for while though. It's specialized knowledge and people make a living at it. It's like giving competitors free knowledge or something.
    - That's disappointing to hear about the H9000. I had an h7600 for short time and it was pretty straight forward but I didn't go so deep into that one. I found I just didn't need all that stuff though it was incredible sounding. I got to building virtual racks and then figured out I just don't need it. - man!, NOw I want one again! : )

edit: I just downloaded the H9000 manual. It's only like 100 pages! Yeah, That's a bit slim there for a unit like that I would think.

StevenC likes this.
  11. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Boss pedals have the shittiest manuals anyway. I was checking out the manuals for the EQ-200 and RC-10R and they’re woefully lacking.

WarMachine and c7spheres like this.
  12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

They've got everything ever posted here:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/product

One tragic thing is new Harmonizers used to come with printed manuals in special binders, but the H9000 is just a pdf. The worst part is the H9000 manual is 50 something pages and the 4000 series manual is 200. Orville is 122 with a bunch of supplements. H9000 is supposed to be the most powerful rack processor in the world but the manual just expects you to figure out a lot of the higher level stuff.

c7spheres likes this.
  13. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

Didn't used to and then one day I damaged a Mesa Mark V 25, and voided the warranty. Ever since, always. Especially with all the digital gear now, they are pretty much required reading.

Emperoff and c7spheres like this.
  14. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

Absolutely, I enjoy reading manuals for gear. In fact I have a pdf of the HX Stomp manual on my phone to read when I'm bored.

15. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I like the old days when a piece of rack gear had the manual screen printed on top the chassis!

Mesa High Gain Amp Switcher.jpg

Luchilleus, Edika, Boofchuck and 9 others like this.
  16. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

mostly just amps, if I can find it online (I rarely buy new amps)

17. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

My purchasing of new gear goes RTFM -> Wait till a few months after release so the guys who paid to be beta testers can determine stability -> Buy

If you don't RTFM you shouldn't even consider asking the internet, imo.

Emperoff and c7spheres like this.
  18. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I like to geek out on gear in general, so reading manuals is just part of the hobby, you know? I read manuals for complex gear, and for most amplifiers and modelers to figure out "why" certain controls work the way they do. Mesa and Strymon in particular do a good job of explaining their controls, modes, and other nerdy specs.

Simple, classic designs like a Phase 90 or CE-2 are pretty self-explanatory and hard to mess up. However, I do still like to learn about little details like what chip set a delay uses or how the tone control on a TS9 affects the mid hump placement. JHS videos are great for putting that kind of information into layman's terms while Plague Sythe Studios has great videos with super detailed breakdowns of circuits and frequency responses.

19. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

As someone who grew up playing Metal Gear as a kid, I tear into manuals. Never know whose codec number you're gonna need later on

protest, laxu and WarMachine like this.
  20. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I wish my Helix came with hard copy manual. I havent jumped into PDF yet even though i know I really need to. Mesa manuals are fun to read haha

Deadpool_25 likes this.