Do you own an FX processor / Modeler?

Do you own an FX processor / Modeler?

• NO

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Yes, Line6 Helix or Variant (HX FX, Stomp)

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Yes, Fractal (FX3, FM3, FX2, AX8)

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • Yes, Boss (GT1000)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Yes, Headrush or Variant (Gigboard)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Yes, Other Brand (TC, Amplifire, Iridium, Zoom, etc)

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Yes, Older Modeler/ FX processor (Line6 HD500, Boss GT-1/10/100, Eleven Rack, etc)

Votes: 31 27.9%
  • Yes, Amp Integrated Modeler (Katana, Fender GT, PV Vypyr, Line6 Spyder, etc)

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • Yes, Kemper Profiler

Votes: 11 9.9%

• Total voters

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Quite happy with my axe FX II. I’ve been diving more into the effects side of things, after generally not caring about effects other than some generic light reverb and delay. It’s super fun doing some stereo 2290 style delay with gain tones, then some ratty tape delay with cleans, univibe sounds, etc.

Last month in a fit of nostalgia, I bought a pod X3 on eBay. I grew up using a pod XT with model packs and having a love/hate relationship with it, but I’ve found it really easy to get good tones out of this X3. Maybe it’s because I’m using a 400 watt power amp and 4x12 guitar cab, rather than computer speakers like I did in college. Also helps that I don’t suck as much as I used to.

Turns out that sound in my head that I’m always so close to but not quite, is Line 6 Big Bottom with a GE7 in front. I guess it got imprinted on to my psyche after all those years.

GoldDragon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They came out of the gate really slow just as Line 6 was ramping up their update schedule and introducing higher-quality hardware, and the initial run of the units had even worse-than-normal factory presets, so they were really uninspiring to test out. I was really interested, but I tried three different floor units and all of them had odd glitches in the touchscreen behavior, glitches in foot switch behavior, and just didn't sound great out of the box. I think the early firmware editions must have shipped with some really trash IRs or something, because the high-gain tones especially were not good right away. Seems like most of the stuff has been taken care of, but the "repackaged old modeling" stigma has also been a plague, just like it was for L6 with the Firehawk stuff. Everyone wanted HX modeling in a $350-$500 package and they weren't happy.

I really wanted to like Helix native, but the top end and pick attack just didn't sound right. Just didn't like the distortions.

I walked away from the trial thinking it was a mild evolution of the HD modeling (which was very good, don't get me wrong) with a much better interface.

Prior to trying the Helix Native, I thought alot of the posted demo videos were great, it wasn't until I played it did I "hear" what was missing.

Moral of the story is that you really do have to play them to know if they work for you.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
it wasn't until I played it did I "hear" what was missing.

Moral of the story is that you really do have to play them to know if they work for you.
That's me with Mesa Boogies Rectifiers and 5150s. Other people get them to sound awesome, I can get good sound out of digital versions, but I absolutely hate the real amps. I'd need a rack of EQs to use a Recto live and I'm either choked on gain or oversaturated with a 5150.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Which is why you need to be very conservative with the gain knob on a 5150, otherwise, it's an ungodly mess.
There was no sweet spot for me with that amp, whereas my XXL solid state combo I could spin a couple of knobs and get a sound I really enjoyed. I'd be using MFX/modelers even if I did find an amp I really like just because guitar cabs are probably the worst-designed speaker box ever as far as consistency goes. Sound different in every room, sound crazy different moving 5' in any direction....

Merrekof

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
their brand name has always been like that for some reason.
Happened with the eleven rack too.

Barely anyone picked one up compared to the Line 6 Pod HD customers.

Only Headrush products I own, is their FRFR powered monitors. I have two 112s and one of their smaller 108s. All of them sound amazing and are built so well.
From live tones ive heard, the Headrush board sounds awesome.
At some point, I wanted a rack unit that could be my preamp, fx unit and pc interface. So there weren't that many options.

The Boss GT-PRO but I'd had to have luck on the used market and I don't really like Boss' distortion modelling. They have their own voice that I heard in the ME-50, GT-8, GA amps,..

Same goes for the Digitech GSP units.

Before I bought the Pod, I was checking out the Axe FX (II iirc). A friend of mine had the unit with footcontroller and I loved it. That was way too expensive for me, the unit alone costed twice as much and I shat my pants when I saw the price of the footcontroller. That glorified midi footcontroller costs as much as a POD pro X!

The Eleven Rack was interesting but I needed to pay an extra fee to use the PC interface and stuff with ProTools I just did not need.

Line6 was priced well with all I needed and I found an FBV footcontroller for only 50€ on the used market. I had a couple of friends who had the HD500X and the last gen bean Pod wich both sounded great.

That's how Line6 got my money, even though I said I wouldn't buy a Line6 product ever again after I owned a Spider II.

lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
At some point, I wanted a rack unit that could be my preamp, fx unit and pc interface. So there weren't that many options.

The Boss GT-PRO but I'd had to have luck on the used market and I don't really like Boss' distortion modelling. They have their own voice that I heard in the ME-50, GT-8, GA amps,..

Same goes for the Digitech GSP units.

Before I bought the Pod, I was checking out the Axe FX (II iirc). A friend of mine had the unit with footcontroller and I loved it. That was way too expensive for me, the unit alone costed twice as much and I shat my pants when I saw the price of the footcontroller. That glorified midi footcontroller costs as much as a POD pro X!

The Eleven Rack was interesting but I needed to pay an extra fee to use the PC interface and stuff with ProTools I just did not need.

Line6 was priced well with all I needed and I found an FBV footcontroller for only 50€ on the used market. I had a couple of friends who had the HD500X and the last gen bean Pod wich both sounded great.

That's how Line6 got my money, even though I said I wouldn't buy a Line6 product ever again after I owned a Spider II.

Absolutely same as me.

GoldDragon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Quite happy with my axe FX II. I’ve been diving more into the effects side of things, after generally not caring about effects other than some generic light reverb and delay. It’s super fun doing some stereo 2290 style delay with gain tones, then some ratty tape delay with cleans, univibe sounds, etc.

Last month in a fit of nostalgia, I bought a pod X3 on eBay. I grew up using a pod XT with model packs and having a love/hate relationship with it, but I’ve found it really easy to get good tones out of this X3. Maybe it’s because I’m using a 400 watt power amp and 4x12 guitar cab, rather than computer speakers like I did in college. Also helps that I don’t suck as much as I used to.

Turns out that sound in my head that I’m always so close to but not quite, is Line 6 Big Bottom with a GE7 in front. I guess it got imprinted on to my psyche after all those years.
I have never been a big effects person, but I have been pushing myself to use more lately also, lol. Although, I am pushing myself into the always-on light reverb, delay, and detune chorus. What is weird, is I struggle using the Axe in this way. I don't know why. It is like I have some mental block using the Axe as an effects units, because I have always thought of it as a stand-alone rig. I have started experimenting using some of my other older rack units with my tube amps. I keep wanting different effects units, when I know the Axe is more than capable of this role. I finally started using it in the loop of a tube amp a few weeks ago. It feels weird, and like a waste, lol. I guess it is better than not using it at all though. I want to try 4CM eventually when I get some time.

It still feels more natural to use my Rocktron Intellifex or something though.

Digital Igloo

Line 6
Reaction score
<biased>

Between the office and the studio, I have:
  • POD XT Bean
  • POD X3 Bean
  • M13
  • M9
  • POD HD500
  • POD HD Pro
  • POD HD Bean
  • Helix Floor
  • Helix Rack/Control*
  • Helix LT
  • Helix Native*
  • Scuffham S-Gear*
  • HX Effects
  • HX Stomp (Sparkle Black)
  • HX Stomp (Stomptrooper White)*
  • POD Go
*Actively use, independent of work

</biased>

SSK0909

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Had a POD that I rarely used, because to me it could only realistically emulate fart sounds made by robot bees.

Bought a POD HD500, big improvement. But I could never get it to sound as good as some of the wizards of the webz, so I sold it after 6 months or so.

Bought an Axe-Fx II. First time a modeller impressed me enough to be my main rig. Took my tube amps out the back and shot them. I owned a Diezel VH4 and a 5150 block letter at the time. I actually MADE money buying the Axe-fx, because of the amp sales :D

Went on a 4 year break from music, bought a very nice Splawn head. Hated the impracticalities of a tube rig, and bought a Kemper stage last month.

So I've tried a few different modellers. Haven't tried a Helix, but you can't go wrong with an Axe-fx II/III or Kemper.

- I love that I find some great tones, save them, and then they will always be available for live and recording.
- I love the consistency of my tones. No stupid tubes that change tone depending on how hot they run, humidity, what color my shirt is and other voodoo bull.
- I love that i can practice silently with headphones, and still get the feel of a cranked amp
- I love that i get great recorded sounds almost instantly, and can totally ignore whatever room I'm recording in.
- I love that my entire rig weighs less than 10% of the weight of a amp + cab, and that it's super easy to transport and setup

I know some people always say "I tweak more than I play!" When it comes to modellers. I never understood this. It's very easy to get a great sound in a few minutes on a good modeller now, and if you can't stop there and have to tweak every parameter, you would probably have the same issues with i.e. a Mesa Mark V with it's 3 channels with 9 modes, super weird eq knobs, 5 band eq on top, and many other sound sculpting options. And that's only the amp, after that you can obsess over cabinets, and tweak the damn thing all over again when you get a new cab. And once that gets boring, it's time to play with tube swapping, boosts and other goodies.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Had a POD that I rarely used, because to me it could only realistically emulate fart sounds made by robot bees.

Bought a POD HD500, big improvement. But I could never get it to sound as good as some of the wizards of the webz, so I sold it after 6 months or so.

Bought an Axe-Fx II. First time a modeller impressed me enough to be my main rig. Took my tube amps out the back and shot them. I owned a Diezel VH4 and a 5150 block letter at the time. I actually MADE money buying the Axe-fx, because of the amp sales :D

Went on a 4 year break from music, bought a very nice Splawn head. Hated the impracticalities of a tube rig, and bought a Kemper stage last month.

So I've tried a few different modellers. Haven't tried a Helix, but you can't go wrong with an Axe-fx II/III or Kemper.

- I love that I find some great tones, save them, and then they will always be available for live and recording.
- I love the consistency of my tones. No stupid tubes that change tone depending on how hot they run, humidity, what color my shirt is and other voodoo bull.
- I love that i can practice silently with headphones, and still get the feel of a cranked amp
- I love that i get great recorded sounds almost instantly, and can totally ignore whatever room I'm recording in.
- I love that my entire rig weighs less than 10% of the weight of a amp + cab, and that it's super easy to transport and setup

I know some people always say "I tweak more than I play!" When it comes to modellers. I never understood this. It's very easy to get a great sound in a few minutes on a good modeller now, and if you can't stop there and have to tweak every parameter, you would probably have the same issues with i.e. a Mesa Mark V with it's 3 channels with 9 modes, super weird eq knobs, 5 band eq on top, and many other sound sculpting options. And that's only the amp, after that you can obsess over cabinets, and tweak the damn thing all over again when you get a new cab. And once that gets boring, it's time to play with tube swapping, boosts and other goodies.
However, there are many times when I will tweak the perfect sound, and then come back to it the next day, and wonder what the heck I was thinking.... lol

SSK0909

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
However, there are many times when I will tweak the perfect sound, and then come back to it the next day, and wonder what the heck I was thinking.... lol

Ahh yes. But that is not the tools fault, but the craftsman's XD

GoldDragon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

What I find stopped me from doing that is when I "manually profile" tones that I hear on YouTube and that I like. It mostly a process of using the right cab sim or IR, and getting the EQ and resonance set properly.

When you dial in a tone "free form", the EQ can go way out of bounds and sound good while you're dialing it in, but when you come back its like.... eww.

When you imitate a tone that sounds good online or in a mix, its keeps you from going out of bounds.

I think this is part of the reason modelers have improved. Over time there has been more "consensus" on just how things should sound.

lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
<biased>

Between the office and the studio, I have:
  • POD XT Bean
  • POD X3 Bean
  • M13
  • M9
  • POD HD500
  • POD HD Pro
  • POD HD Bean
  • Helix Floor
  • Helix Rack/Control*
  • Helix LT
  • Helix Native*
  • Scuffham S-Gear*
  • HX Effects
  • HX Stomp (Sparkle Black)
  • HX Stomp (Stomptrooper White)*
  • POD Go
*Actively use, independent of work

</biased>
And I thought I had been a Line 6 fan boy over the years haha

lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

HAHAHAH:lol::lol::lol:

devastone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Guess I'm the only one running a GT-1000 so far, upgraded from a GT-100. Great sounds and the new firmware has some nice functions, like tap CTRL 3 for tuner (which was already there) or press and hold to go between manual and preset mode (of course, you can reassign it if you desire too), or you can set the volume pedal so when it is fully off it turns on the tuner. I tend on only have a few patches with a clean channel and a dirty channel and I run in manual mode most of the time so I have plenty of switches for effects, and can add on 4 more switches or 2 more exp pedals if I ever feel the need (not that I have other than for the looper, and I rarely use that).

Oh, yeah, it sounds good, and as with most modelers, a lot of that is up to the person programming it (not saying I'm great or anything, but I have a slight clue what I'm doing). That said, I still have more fun with amps and pedals, but that's not feasible since I run direct most of the time. I have an Avatar 1-12 and an ISP Stealth power amp if I want to close my eyes and pretend.