Do you have a "photo room" for listing gear?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by budda, Dec 30, 2019.

1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Renter, owner, living with family - do you have a room that you use specifically to photograph gear you're selling?

I have a serious hunch part of the reason my stuff has sat is my less-than-optimal backdrop. I know how to take good pictures, but the lighting here isn't that great. I plan to use a friend's living room to re-list my guitar and pedal stuff.

Do you aim for the most pro looking shots for listings or just snap a pic and make the ad?

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I'll sometimes be lazy if the gear is super desirable, but yes, photos are super important.
    Go outside in sunlight :)

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Play around with lighting. You can get a lamp from a thrift store for $5, and a daylight bulb for like $3. Place the guitar in a nice clean area.

Folks just want to know what they're looking at and that it hasn't been buried in shit.

It helps having, at least, a camera from a flagship smartphone from the last four or five years.

budda likes this.
  4. budda

I wish I had a hardwood floor to use. The bedspread doesn't seem to be doing it :lol:

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

woobie+ sunlight is my go to normally. Otherwise I use a white blanket that provides contrast and take pics indoor. I find that the more detailed the pics are (and the less they're retouched or messed with) then the faster the listings seem to sell.

6. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Use a black sheet. When I lived with my folks, I had my bed underneath a large window that made for some excellent listing photos. For example:
    [​IMG]

After I bought my house, the quality of my listing photos has definitely suffered, since I don't have as nice of a natural light / backdrop combo....for example:
    [​IMG]

Leather furniture also works quite well for a backdrop:
    [​IMG]

I spend a decent amount of time trying to get solid photos, because that's what I always look for when I'm surfing listings.
    If I see that the seller has put effort and time into the photos depicting the instruments, I tend to assume that the seller has also put that care into the instrument itself. Not a factual assumption all the time of course, but so far, it hasn't let me down. You need a lot of them though. Even if it's a pro shot, only having one or two images will make me avoid your listing like the plague. Show me all of the problem areas that typically get screwed up, show me all the dings- with an object I can use for scale next to them. Stuff like that.

iamaom and budda like this.
  7. budda

I took a lot of detailed pics for my strat, but it's been sitting for months :lol:. I've taken the ad down until I get some better shots.

No black sheet or black leather furniture here, unfortunately.

8. MaxOfMetal

It might not be just pictures if it's been sitting that long.

Do you have a link to the ad?

9. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Post it again, with 1 photo of the guitar, one of the closed case, and only 2 lines of text. It'll sell in 10 minutes.

I had a defective TV for free on craigslist for a month. No takers. had photos of the manual, remote, label on the back of TV with model and serial numbers, I took several photos of the issue that it had, and even mentioned that it had newer batteries in the remote that would be included.

Nothing.

Relisted it for $5, with 1 photo of the TV with the screen off, and just "Defective Samsung TV for parts, with remote." i got a reply within minutes of relisting it. It was picked up this morning.

Hollowway likes this.
  10. Ordacleaphobia

I 100% promise you that either of these two approaches, or somewhere in between the two, will be successful. :lol:

c7spheres likes this.
  11. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

but it's 100% chance that it will be the opposite of whatever I end up doing. :lol:

12. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I think photos matter, but here's what I look for:
    1) Don't post blurry pictures
    2) Don't use filters that alter the color
    3) If there's damage, I wanna see it.
    4) Let me have at least one shot of the whole guitar.

Especially #4. I hate when people taking a bunch of close ups where I can't see what the whole thing looks like. It would be like posting a closeups of your eye, ear, and maybe back of head shot on Tinder and expecting someone to swipe right.

A-Branger and spudmunkey like this.
  13. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I’ve sold lots of guitars on reverb and eBay over the years. I try to use a clean floor and bright warm lighting. You don’t want anything that suggests you/environment is dirty or anything in pic that distracts the eye. This is why I think clean floor is the easiest. I definitely second the leather furniture though.

Really just try to take sharp and well light pictures. Avoid the surgical lighting because it makes guitars look cheap. I use that lighting for my setups and workbench, but not for advertisement.

14. MaxOfMetal

Pretty much all of this.

Maybe I'm just really cynical, but my first thought when I see super well composed photos from a private seller is: "Fuck, what are they trying to hide?"

I want the harsh, honest pics. :lol:

Hollowway likes this.
  15. Hollowway

Yeah, especially when they say, "Just some minor dings and dents. Nothing that really shows up in a photo." I'm like, "Dude, it's 2019. I can use my iphone to take a picture of a hair follicle. Give me the fucking picture or get ready for a PayPal dispute." :lol:

Ordacleaphobia and budda like this.
  16. budda

I took the ads down and took the pics off my phone so that I would have to reshoot :lol:.

It's fluorescent bulb lighting in our basement, and the bed is fairly neutral toned. I had full front and back shots, headstock, the bridge to show the bit of corrosion from use, the case empty, whole 9 yards.

Gonna try @spudmunkey's approach :lol:

17. Hollowway

@budda where are you listing it? That might have to do with it, too. A strat on here probably won't sell as fast as on a site geared more toward that sort of thing. It's like when I look for a used car, I always prefer to buy it at a dealer that doesn't sell the new version of that car. Like, I'd never buy a used Honda from a Honda dealer. I'd rather buy one at like a Ford dealer, because people aren't going to go there for that car, typically. Which means I can get a lower price.

And to answer your question directly: No, I do not have a photo room for listing gear. My photo room is for the ladies.

[​IMG]

budda likes this.
  18. Hollowway

Don't forget to throw, "Rare," and "Artist owned" in there for good measure, too. :lol:

budda likes this.
  19. Ordacleaphobia

My beef is when they actually do do the super close up photo of the damage, but there's nothing in frame for scale. Tough to gauge it unless there's a pick or a penny or something next to it.
    I appreciate the fact that they included the shot, but they're shooting themselves in the foot because if I can't determine it, I'll just assume it's a huge ass ding and move on.

budda and Hollowway like this.
  20. budda

I was smart - I traded the dinged one in to the national chain for my aerodyne :yesway:.

@Hollowway I had it only listed on my Canadian guitar forum (most members are within driving distance) and then added it to Kijiji.

I'm going to do the 2 pic thing - will post here for critique.

Edit: pics are too big and the new listings didn't actually post...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Hollowway likes this.