Do you feel the need of getting a 6 string along with your 7(s)?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Remster, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Remster

Remster SS.org Regular

Hi,

I didn't know if this should have been in the standard sub-forum or here so feel free to move this thread if needed.

I only own one guitar, an Ibanez RG1527 with a flawless neck that plays perfectly. When I first got it about 3 years ago, I sold my 6 string guitars as I just loved the 7-string one so much. Now today I'm starting to wonder if having a dedicated 6 string again could be beneficial.

Do you guys find it easier to play "6 string songs" on a standard 6 strings or can you play everything on your 7 with the same ease that you used to on your 6 before you converted to 7 string?

I'm debating this internally and can't come up with an answer and would very much like to see what other players discovered on their journey.

Thanks.

2. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

Yeah. Lots of 6 string stuff won't work on a 7 for me. Thumb over chords, for example. I do play most 6 string songs and practice on my 7s, but my 6 does get occasional playtime.
    Also I'm buying another 6 to put in drop C.

TrevorT and ImNotAhab like this.
  3. DCM_Allan

DCM_Allan Sol Invictus

I do, I have 3 7stgs guitars now, and the only 6 strings I have is an acoustic guitar, I'm thinking to buy a 6 strings but with my last 7 I have no more money to spend on a guitar.

4. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

I feel the need to increase my complement from 17 to 20...

Surveyor 777 likes this.
  5. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i have lot of 6s that aren't getting played much since i got my 7s.

odibrom likes this.
  6. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

The thumb-over cords is a good reason, as @Restarted mentioned.

Also, if you need a very specific tone for something not often available as a 7-string (e.g., 22-fret Strat neck pickup), that might be another reason.

Different tunings. If you drop the lower 6 strings, it may get to the point where detuning the 7th string makes it useless.

7. Themistocles

Themistocles SS.org Regular

After owning a 7 string for 20 years I finally switched to it as my main axe (all it took was installing a dimarzio in the bridge position). I still have many other 6 strings but I find I dont reach for them when writing. I still play the 6 strings for yuks, especially my old Ibanez RG but it feels dead by comparison. I love my old main axe which is an ash bodied 3 p90 guitar but it has its own thing... a kind of prog/surf/rockabilly gutsyness. Now I feel like I need another 7 just so my main doesnt take as much use.

8. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Each of my guitars has a different use (string number, tuning, pickups, etc.), so I like to have both. Right now, I have 3 electric and one acoustic 6, one 7, and an 8. I don’t think I could stick to one amount, just because I like to have the variety.

Masoo2 and Surveyor 777 like this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

All of my 7 string guitars are set up for different tunings with different pickups, so all of them give different flavors. Some of my them work well for 6 string stuff and others definitely don't. I like having 6, 7 and 8 strings just for variety's sake but you can absolutely get away with just one good 7 string that has a set of versatile pickups. I did the same thing for years with my old RG7421 back before I became a hoarder.

10. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Why do you have 15 different Phillips head screwdrivers?
    The right tool for the job.

11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

this is one of those should you have like 15 guitar questions and the answer is always yes.

Surveyor 777, StevenC and The Mirror like this.
  12. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Oh boy. I already get nitpicky when I "just" have to put on other strings just to play a different tuning.

Playing 6 string songs on a 7 string works, of course, but I wouldn't prefer it.

Just for the lolz: My 4 main guitars as of now

7 String - B / Bb standard
    7 String - C Standard (just B standard half step up)
    6 String - Open-C
    6 String - D Standard

I definitely need another guitar for 6 string E Standard stuff now that I think about it.

13. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

If you think you should have 15, then 16 is the right answer

Zhysick likes this.
  14. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

the string number changes how I write. i have a 6 string dropped to standard B, one 7 in standard and another in drop A, an 8 and 9 string in standard. sure, you could approach the higher number stringed instrument as a subset of a lower number, but you can't really replicate a tuned down lower numbered stringed easily if you use a lot of open strings. its all about that major 3rd interval on strings 4 and 5 that dictate that (if you tune traditionally, at least), not to mention if you use alternate tunings as previously stated. long answer coming to a YES, need all the strings

The SG King likes this.
  15. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx SS.org Regular

I've never even owned a 6 string electric (got an acoustic tho) :lol:
    Started playing on an RG7321 but these days I pretty much only play my RG852 so I guess I'm an exclusive 8 string player now. I got it set up in Drop E and can play pretty much any song on it and even if it's 6 string material the extra two strings don't bother me.

16. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi The Mario Clash

My six string guitars do different things tonal and feel wise that my seven can’t. One is 24.75 with HSS, the other 22 frets with HS pickups. They are also used sometimes for tunings that would be awkward on a seven.

Ben Pinkus likes this.
  17. cult-leader-of-djent

cult-leader-of-djent SS.org Regular

Yeah, definitely. There is a lot of music I like to play that would only feel right to play on a 6.

I went out and bought a 6 string from a local pawn shop only because after playing it there was something special about it. I ended up paying $75 for it but, when I got it home and started looking it over and doing some research, I found out it had quite the amount of upgrades to it! Liquifire/Crunchlab pick-up set, Washburn 2001 Wonder Bar Bridge in black (Crazy) goes for like $200 on Ebay, wooden pickup guard (looks unique) The maple neck from what I can tell is from the late 80's or 90's but, there is literally no indicator on what it is...just the letter 'R' written on the headstock. Nothing on the back-end of the neck, nothing. Same thing for the body it has a natural flame maple finish. It was once painted red from what I can tell. It could be a really good brand or a really shitty brand but, as far as I'm concerned it plays well. It needs a little work in some spots but, other than that it's a pretty great guitar for what I paid.

18. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I feel the need to get as many frickin guitars as I am afford. I used to come up with a reason. Now I just stand up and say, “hi, I’m Hollowway, and I am an addict.”