Do you ever just get sick of your amp?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mystix, Apr 13, 2021.

1. mystix

mystix SS.org Regular

I've had the 5150 iii 50 watt head for a while now. I've actually owned different versions of the 5150 iii over the past 10 years or so. I sell them but always come back to them. A few weeks back, I plugged in and absolutely hated my tone. It was so hairy and fizzy with a mid-range bite I couldn't dial out.

Some people love this amp, and I did for so long. I just don't enjoy anymore.

Has this happened to you? If so, what amp?

2. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

kinda why i love only using my tube amp for the power section with a modeler going into the fx return. if you ever get tired of one sound you can just scroll through hundreds of amps. i have not bought or sold an amp for a while now. plus they keep doing updates which is basically just free new stuff.

Lopp, MoJoToJo, Deadpool_25 and 2 others like this.
  3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Sure, I sometimes get tired of a piece of gear or want to do something different. It's why I have more than one amp / guitar as options.

cwhitey2, cardinal, Werecow and 5 others like this.
  4. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Most people using these amps run them with an EQ in the loop. Experiment with that.

KailM, Deadpool_25 and c7spheres like this.
  5. NickS

NickS Rocket Surgeon

Maybe try a different cab/different speakers?

6. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Yep. I used the same Peavey XXL head (solid state version of the XXX) for 15 years. At least once a week I wanted to get rid of it. It’s still in my studio though. Went through the same thing with every amp I’ve owned, the XXX, Carvin Legacy, Dual Rec, etc...

So I bought an AxeFX. Don’t dig an amp sound one day? Switch to another or make it sound the way I want it to. Problem solved!

Lopp, Masoo2, Deadpool_25 and 2 others like this.
  7. Choop

Choop n______n

I felt the same way about the Peavey 5150 type amps, having owned a 5150 sig, 5150 combo, 6505+ and 6505+ combo. For some tonal goals the 5150 gain is absolutely perfect, but aspects of the voicing didn't always gel with me. A lot of amps can clean up or get incredibly gainy, but they will have an inherent quality in the voicing that will always be there. It's one reason the Rectifier sound can be so divisive. It helps to have a couple amps that are pretty different IMO, so you can switch every now and then to keep things fresh.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  8. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

If you rule-out the possibility that something is going wrong with the amp, like a tube going bad, then maybe do something to mix it up. If you boost your drive channel, try a different boost or back off the gain and send a dirt box into it.

c7spheres likes this.
  9. Emperoff

10. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I tried writing "nope" and it was in black :scratch:

Ribboz and Deadpool_25 like this.
  11. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Mood, health, atmospheric pressure etc can all alter how we hear things. I have days when I feel my tone sucks no matter what and then come back the next day and everything sounds awesome.

I think we all get bored of our gear at some point and GAS rears its head. I went 10 years without buying more than strings because I could just flick to a new amp model on my Axe-Fx to combat this.

Lopp, swollseyba, LCW and 6 others like this.
  12. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Yep.

I used to be a big fan of the 5150 and its varietals. Not so much anymore. I'm tired of hearing them and I don't care too much for some aspects of their tone and feel. That said, I still dig the 100w Stealth. Have a similar but much less ardent thing going on with Rectos.

My advice is if you cannot nab another amp to offset this or some type of modeler, get a variety of preamp tubes to play with and a couple of cheap EQ pedals or a great quality EQ pedal that can run two EQs at once like the Source Audio pedal. Put one in front of the amp and the other in the loop. Tons of tonal variety. Toss a 5751 in V1 or V2 of the preamp. Quick, easy, and fun ways to change it up.

13. Emperoff

Yep. A nice NOS tube in V1 can nicely preshape the tone of your amp. I couldn't get more mids out of my Engl, or tame the fizz until I put an RCA 5751 3-Mica Blackplate in there. No need for further EQs.

Kyle Jordan and c7spheres like this.
  14. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Checkout the thread i made a little while ago https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/bad-tone-days-psychological.346791/

I have several amps covering quite a few different types of tones, and that definitely helps. I take a break from one for a weeks or even months, and love it when i come back again. There can be lots of different causes, but i still have occasional days where i just seem to hate my tone, as evidenced in that thread.

If you have the money i'd highly recommend getting a couple more amps that are very different from the 5150. If you don't, maybe consider changing to a modeler where you have a huge amount of choice of tone?

cardinal and Emperoff like this.
  15. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, I'm trying to use a modeler to help one those days when I just am not feeling my "real" amp.

It's working in a weird way, I as realize I don't like any of these other amps nearly as much as mine haha. But I guess that's still a victory?

16. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Yeh that sounds like a positive. Sounds possibly like a "bad tone day" psychological thing for you as well.
    I still can't get my head around it when it happens for me, but have just learnt to accept it and put my stuff down for the day.

17. Emperoff

Take a break from your regular tones and play something completely different. That works anytime.

I usually jam a lot with backing tracks and I always tailor the tone of each one of them, depending of what the song demands. What can sound great in certain situations can be awful in others, so give your brain a break. Any repetitive task causes fatigue.

budda likes this.
  18. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

If I'm honest, my bad-tone-days are when I'm just futzing around asking for trouble. If I just play, it's all good. It's when I'm like, huh, that other band sounds more like this or I remember liking that other amp which had more of that... Then I start fussing with the equipment and now it all sounds bad now no matter what. If I just put it back the way it was and come back the next day and just play, I'm back to good-tone-days.

Boris_VTR and Werecow like this.
  19. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Yeh that's one of the ways it happens... going down a rabbit hole of continual small changes to the tone, then all of a sudden you reach this threshold and realise it's a mess. Then trying to go back to a "good" tone suddenly seems difficult all of a sudden.
    I don't think an Axe Fx would be good for me in that way :lol: I prefer just a handful of amps i like the tones of.

20. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

512 or 1024 slots - you could make 300 bad presets and be fine :lol:

Werecow likes this.