Do neck break repairs scare you off?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by 7 Strings of Hate, Jan 30, 2018.

1. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

been eyeballing a guitar that has a neck crack repair. I don’t have any experience with neck breaks or how the repairs hold up. And granted, not all repairs are the same. But what are your experiences?
    Here is a pic of the neck I’m talking about and the owner said the previous owner repaired it and the current owner it for 4 years with no issues. Its not sanded and he said you could feel it a little bit it didn’t really bother him playing.
    I definitely have wood working experience, and assume I could sand it flush and hit it with some clear, but I don’t know if I should risk it. Im leaning no because the price isn’t quite low enough, but im just curious of your experiences.

[​IMG]

2. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Any major structural repair like that? I back off 100% of the time. It’s hard enough selling minty guitars these days.

beerandbeards likes this.
  3. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Yea, in this case, its not much cheaper than you can find in non repaired condition. I would gamble if it were cheap enough that the hit to resale would make it worth it, but this guy isn’t budging so I’m going to pass.

4. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Headstock-repaired guitars can be perfectly functional instruments that will never give you a problem. The fact that they have them don't scare me off, but the price has to be adjusted accordingly.

5. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

Neck crack repairs scare me. Sellers always say it’s fine or better than before but it’s still damage. As you said, price should reflect

6. thraxil

thraxil cylon

On that one I'd be concerned that the repair doesn't appear to have been done all that well. It doesn't look that clean and they say that it hasn't been properly filled and sanded. It might be perfectly fine structurally, but I'd worry that if they couldn't be bothered to finish off all the details, how can you trust the rest of it?

exo likes this.
  7. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

price has to reflect the damage, if the price is right go for it because like you said you are then the one stuck with it who may need to move it later.

8. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

They don’t really scare me, but they sure do scare other people, and I end up selling almost everything I buy, so I tend to stay away from breaks unless it’s really cheap or really rare.

Ideally the guy would have the receipt from whoever did the repair so that I can check it’s a reputable place.

The trick with stuff like this is that you really only get one shot with wood glue, because the glue won’t stick to glue (it holds wood to wood). So if the prior repair isn’t holding up, you may have to resort to more extreme measures like using epoxy or dowels/biscuits to hold something together.

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Unless it's a special piece or a special price (preferably both) I tend to be stay away; and I consider myself very comfortable working on stuff like this.

You just never know how well the job was done until it's in your hands. Also, NEVER trust the seller.

10. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

Super cheap or no go.

Dcm81 and exo like this.
  11. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Cosmetic damage doesn't always bother me, but ANY sort of structural repair means that the price will have to be DIRT cheap. If it's got a neck repair like that, and it's only a couple hundred bucks cheaper than market price, I won't even entertain the idea.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

I won't even waste my time on instruments with structural damage.

Ebony likes this.
  13. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Treat a possible guitar relationship like a possible relationship with a woman -- if she's so beat up she's had repair, it's best to find a newer model.

Ebony and Dcm81 like this.
  14. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Sloppy repair job - I'd stay away unless it's a steal...

15. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

Agree with everyone above. I'm always concerned that if it's been structurally damaged, there's a chance it was either poorly looked after or heavily gigged.

Neither of those things is a problem, we've all done it.. But you could probably find another one before long which you had complete faith in.

16. Mike

Mike The Traveler

If a guitar has anything wrong with the neck I'm out. I feel (and yes I know there are exceptions like an expert luthier) that unless it's a bolt on you can just replace the integrity of the neck in some way is tainted and I'm just not dealing with that noise.

17. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

My dad is luthier, my friend is a guitar tech and have both repais broken neck with no problems. Just make sure the job is not done by a complete twat.

If you are looking for something cheap, to keep in your bedroom, your car, at a friend's place, something you don't mind getting damaged or stolen, something you don't intend to sell, you should be fine.
    Just don't use weird tuning and/or bridge cable for strings.

jl-austin likes this.
  18. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I almost spit out my coffee! :lol:

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  19. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I wouldnt take the risk. Like someone said, the day you go to resell it better be the day someone made an offer.

20. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

For me, it's all about who did the work. If it was a reputable person/shop, it wouldn't bother me. They are going to stand behind their work.

The posted picture looks like it was poorly done, so that wouldn't be one I'd buy.