Do I have black winters?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by narad, Jul 27, 2020.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Just got a guitar with mystery pickups and trying to do some pickup ID, and imagine this is straightforward. It has the old english style font, but just curious: if it looks like this, it has to be a black winter, right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just curious - normally if you have a newer pickup in there, you boast about it, especially if it's replacing a Caparison PH-R...

2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Seems like one but you can also tell by the sound having a tight bass response with lots of output and a really nasty midrange. You can take the strings off and take it off to check the label in the back to be 100% sure but to my knowledge no other pickup comes with this fond unless it's a custom build and it was requested as such.

3. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

99.9% sure it is indeed a BW, identical to my one.

4. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

That’s indeed a Black Winter. Hubba hubba!

5. narad

Cool - thanks! It's not exactly what I was expecting. Cool voice, definitely has a lot of lows though. Slightly more mid-mid than grindy upper-mid I was expecting. Anyway, it's been on my list a long time so happy to encounter it accidentally.

6. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Yeah, it is a cool pickup. Didn't suit my Caparison Horus M3 *AT ALL* though. Made it super dark sounding. Way too much bass. But in an ESP Horizon, it sounds epic.

elkoki and narad like this.
  7. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I've found that pickups don't necessarily magically transform the character and sound of a guitar but rather work with it and accentuate some aspects depending on the instrument. I've heard about the lows this pickup produced but in my Les Paul it was mids and highs mostly that were pronounced. The lows were not nearly as thick as I was expecting them.

Manurack and Carl Kolchak like this.
  8. narad

Yea, that's interesting. It may be my case here -- it's definitely not overly bright in this guitar and has a bit too much bass. I'd prefer to dial the bass in on the amp, but now I have my 5150 bass on ~1.5. I'd love to try it in my horizon but it's HSS so I'd have to buy 2 new single coils to suit it, and I actually don't mind the EMG 89 in the bridge there.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  9. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

I hated this in my LP Baritone (Mahogany), it was very grating with the highs.
    I put it in my RG421, sounds fine !

10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I was gonna say it does look like a BW, but you dont know if it is the bridge or neck model. However, that description sounds spot on with the bridge. Good amount of bass, and the mids are centered in the mid-mids, so it kind of sounds like a Tubescreamer is on all the time, like the Invader.

11. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

If it were the neck pup the scrip would be in the slugs coil instead of the screws coil as seen in the picture so it is a bridge pickup for sure.

[​IMG]

12. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, that is true also, lol.

Zhysick likes this.
  13. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

I think this pretty much holds true for standard tunings, yes. But when you start dropping... I'll give a "for instance" here. I have a KM-7 with a Seymour Duncan Nazgul in the bridge. In a B standard tuning, the Nazgul sounds very irritating to me. Very dry and chalky sounding, like it's got a super bad case of tube screamer mid hump that can not be EQ'd out. Once I started dropping that to A and then to G standard though that grating dry chalkiness mellowed significantly to where those mids began to sit much more amenably between the low and high freqs.

It's all some kind of magnet black magic anyways. Pickups are weird.

Zhysick, c7spheres and Edika like this.
  14. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

It is true that pickups do behave differently with tunings and some pickups work better in low tunings. I have some pickups that sound great in E standard but you can hear they won't work that great if you go too low. On the opposite side of the Nazgul I have a Tonezone in a 6 string in E standard and sounds glorious. But I doubt it'll work well for anything below D.

I think the thicker strings when you downtime start playing a big role in the sound. Some pickups respond better to that and depends on their EQ.

Adieu, Zhysick and Carl Kolchak like this.
  15. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

That's interesting I also found it sort of bass heavy but also very bright at the same time. The BW is definitely a unique sounding pickup. The best way to describe it is nasty. Sorta sounds like everything is boosted. Not a terrible pickup but not my favorite.

16. narad

Sounds about right. I definitely thought..."hmm, maybe I don't need that boost" for the first time, but it does benefit from a little bit of a bass cut imo.

17. Runander

Runander SS.org Regular

The Black Winter really has me intrigued. Seems like a unique thing.

This is my experience. EMG 81 for instance, I have a hard time liking it with standard tuning (sounds like a wah pedal is constantly engaged) but in Bb and Rectifier settings on the Kemper it is perfect for that Cannibal Corpse type of sound.

It would be fun to see/hear a Black Winter demo with different tunings :)

18. narad

They've grown on me, I really like them. I think I gravitate towards pretty generic pickup sounds -- most of mine are boutique PAFs, dimarzio tonezones, BKP mid-range, EMG hetset, hot-77s, and 89s. None of these are really that far from average typical voicing.

The black winters are further, and the closest I've had to getting an Arch Enemy sound, though there's definitely some EQ settings that are different there. I guess I should have Distortions in one of my guitars.

Flappydoodle likes this.