Do 6 string Fishman Moderns require routing?

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
So I recently dropped one of my Strandbergs off to my tech to get a Fishman Keith Merrow set out in. I got them because they're open core, so I figured no routing. But my tech said he thinks non-soapbar Fishmans (basically the ones with tabs) wouldn't require any routing. Can anyone confirm this? If that's the case, I'm dropping a pair of Tosins in my Strandberg Fusion neck-thru. I would have done so but I figured routingbthe pickup cavity would have been necessary. Again, not the soapbar Fishmans, the ones with tabs on the side.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Most of the time, if you are putting Fishmans into a Dimarzio routing, it will need some routing done to fit it, as well as depth routing. Every guitar that I have popped Fishmans in, have had to be routed deeper into the body:

Attachments

• 20220522_135415.jpg
    20220522_135415.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
So I recently dropped one of my Strandbergs off to my tech to get a Fishman Keith Merrow set out in. I got them because they're open core, so I figured no routing. But my tech said he thinks non-soapbar Fishmans (basically the ones with tabs) wouldn't require any routing. Can anyone confirm this? If that's the case, I'm dropping a pair of Tosins in my Strandberg Fusion neck-thru. I would have done so but I figured routingbthe pickup cavity would have been necessary. Again, not the soapbar Fishmans, the ones with tabs on the side.
They're generally drop in replacements ime.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah those routes look pretty massive

strandberg-boden-fusion-nx-6-amber-yellow-b-stock-1649141931453.jpg

EDIT: IF ANYTHING will give you issues, maybe the tabs? But since IIRC the tabs on the Fluence Moderns are plastic, it's a crazy easy fix.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I spoke to both Strandberg and Fishman shortly after this post and already have a set of Tosin 6's on the way to replace my Javiers in my Fusion NT.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Just FYI for the future - every pickup manufacturer lists their exact pickup sizes in pretty great detail on their sites. I know I checked out the size of a nazgul/sentient soapbar set vs my fishmans and both sites had all the dimensions you could imagine.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I spoke to both Strandberg and Fishman shortly after this post and already have a set of Tosin 6's on the way to replace my Javiers in my Fusion NT.

Off topic-ish but how did you like the Javiers?

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Off topic-ish but how did you like the Javiers?
They are actually really good, but not very high output. Since I kinda want a little thrash to my heavy tone, I feel the Tosins work for me better (I have a pair in my Strandberg 7). But I am absolutely holding on to the Javiers, hopefully get a Strandberg Salen Jazz in the near future and out them in there. They still have a lot of the characteristics of a Fishman I like, but I feel they'd be better suited for straight up Jazz/Fusion sound.