Djent - that is not metal (blog entry of a 58 year old satirical metal elitist)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by KristapsCoCoo, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Augmatted

Augmatted Active Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

2. DXL

DXL SS.org Regular

I still want to see someone really expand on what Pelican did on their What We All Come to Need album. It was like sludge/post metal, but a lot happier and uplifting. Usually post rock doesn't have that sludge feel that this album does and post metal is usually either very dark sounding or just really progressive and atmospheric like in the case of Isis, but still lacking that "happiness".

EDIT

One song off of Avatar's latest album reminds me of this sort of (especially during the chorus)

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

:lol:

4. blaaargh

blaaargh Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked

Hey man rap is the shit. I'd listen to rap over djent any day even Lil Wayne (srs) Fireman was my jam in middle school

5. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

After the first paragraph, I pretty much skimmed the pile of rubbish writing to fortunately land on this gem:

Mention of Phil Collins in a rant about djent = win.
    10/10 would skim again.

6. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

As long as x exists, there will always be x haters, but this was hilarious

7. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

That was incredibly funny.... And incredibly true!!!:lol:

Even if I really like some of the bands mentionned it was really fun te read!

8. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

article was hilarious and mostly accurate

9. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

article was pretty funny. some stuff seem accurate, some less. but

and

(as a fan of both genres) i think that man can NOT be serious :lol:

10. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Yeah me too, but idk if I would listen to it now. I think Carter 3 killed my love for rap music because I only remember there being like 2 bangers and the rest was ehhhhhhhh. Thanks for the nostalgia though. I used to come home and throw on 106 and park just to hear whatever new Jeezy or Chamilionare song was playing. Then I'd go buy it off iTunes and be like the ....in' MAN on the schoolbus. Everyone else was trying to keep up with their Usher jams from 04. Why can't I be this cool now? I just can't stand rap music anymore. I feel dumb listening to it, even though I like the beats.

11. ShiftKey

ShiftKey SS.org irregular

That was a hilarious page to read with my morning coffee, cheers for sharing it, shame I cant rep you.

12. HANIAK

HANIAK SS.org Regular

That was actually pretty hilarious!! :D :D

13. wildrat666

wildrat666 SS.org Regular

I laughed. it was this day funniest moment

14. blaaargh

blaaargh Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked

Yeah Weezy reaaally went downhill. Idk man I like a lot of really dumb rap like 2 Chainz and shit but I get why a lot of ppl dont. If ur looking for some really good new shit I'd say check out Run the Jewels, Kendrick/Schoolboy/TDE or The Underachievers - ultimate "alt white person hip hop mix"

15. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

This guy won the internet:

"That's right, internet. From this day forward I am stripping you dweebs of the self-appointed term "djentlemen" and instead, replacing it with the term "djerk". Because you suck and you need a title that properly conveys that. I have spoken."

Hilarious read.

16. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Incorrect. It started when Black Sabbath fans took the piss out of Led Zep fans for being flowery wankers, and LZ fans castigated BS fans for not washing.

This might not be entirely true but there has always been a divide. So I agree...

Having been a metalhead since 1986 or so, and having lived through these tides on a regular basis (thrash, grunge, death metal, nu-metal, metalcore, etc), I can say the following things with a certain degree of certainty:

- "Djent" will grow until the market for it saturates.
    - By this point the big bands are playing fancy tours, and the local scenes will be full of guys/girls trying to sound like them.
    - Some form of metal that is the complete opposite will all of a sudden be what the younger kids listen to. I would take a guess at it being a lot less tech...
    - A few bands will manage to carry on, the majority will implode as the market drops.
    - 5 years from now most folks will not admit that they ever djented.
    - 10 years from now they'll admit that they did, and also admit apart from a few classics most of what came out of the genre was rubbish.

Music goes in both generations and cycles. A generation lasts a few years, and is over when the next bunch of kids goes through school. The cycles are more interesting in that current fashions (musical and otherwise) will rip stuff from a few generations back... eg a resurgence in prog (a la djent).

Although the article is hugely sarcastic he's actually pretty much on the money! And if you take an article like that as an insult, well, puberty really helps! :lol::lol::lol:

:wavey:

Edit: OP, I'm 42. I know older people than me in the scene. I've been to gigs where I've seen 3 generations of families there. The metalhead friends of mine that have kids are also passing it down to the younger generation.

17. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Check out Blue Scholars :yesway:

18. KFW

KFW SS.org Regular

It's interesting to have seen basically a new genre emerge, and start it's decline in popularity. I think the good bands will obviously stick around (Periphery, Animals As Leaders). But I always wonder what will come up next. Especially now that home recording is a wide spread thing. Djent kind of came about the exact same time that home recording technology allowed it to.

It's interesting to think about in general. You can pretty much attribute genre cycles to mass media when it comes to everything before 2004 or so. People only heard what was on the radio, MTV, etc. I reckon things moved much slower at that point. Can someone release something so innovative and impressive that it sparks a whole new genre again? I think it would be extremely ignorant to assume that can't happen again, but it's just an interesting thought.

I brought up this question to my girlfriend in during a boring 12 hour car trip: do you think a person during the 1500's ever imagined a super dope rap beat in their head? Or consider if someone in the 1970's imagined a djent song. :ugh:

19. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Lol, maybe I am an alt white hip hop fan since I got excited over an outkast vinyl today. I don't listen to vinyl, but the thought is what scares me.

I wanted to like 2 chainz during my ingo wiz khalifa/waka phase, but I felt he would never live up to that one nicki manaj song.

20. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I appreciate the attention and discussion. It would be sweet to meet this guy in person someday and chat over some single malt.