Discussion on 5 string fretless tech death tone

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Gmork, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

I know this is totally subjective. Just interested to hear different thoughts about tone or fx pedals used.
    Im a long time guitarist that plays tech death type stuff and have recently begun 5 string fretless bass. I think ill probably use a combination of agressive mid heavy
    clean tone and occassionally some sort of od or distortion. Thanks

2. Systolic

Systolic Active Member

Accentuate high mids + Darkglass B7K/B3K + Roundwound nickel or steel strings. That should be enough to get you started. Minor personal flavor style adjustments from there.

3. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

The setup/string height affects tone and sustain more so on fretless than fretted.

4. Systolic

Systolic Active Member

+1

5. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

You can substitute the Darkglass (it's pretty pricey) for any bass OD/distortion with a blend control. I used to have a Boss ODB-3, and it works very well. There's the Aguilar Tone Hammer, Tech 21 Sansamp Bass DI, and others. They all have different flavors.

In a studio setting, you can get by for free. You can mix a clean direct track with a track ran through any free distortion VST/EQs/ect and get great results. I use Guitar Rig on my PC and get a pretty good blended bass distortion tone.

6. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

good to know. i actually had my eye on the sansamp bass driver. i own and like the gt2 for guitar. plus im pretty sure it has a blend. now that i think of it i can really see why the blend would be so important it getting that kind of sound. i want that smooth fat clean bass sound but at the same time want that bit of aggression and mid snarl. the answer......BLEND knob. makes total sense. thanks. think ill pick up the bass driver very soon.

7. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

The SansAmp Bass Drivers all have blend knobs.

I've got the Deluxe, and it is FANTASTIC. You can have 6 presets (or 3 for each of 2 basses) plus there's a switchable FX loop. Sounds great with my fretless jazz bass, too.

8. ArchonicYordi

ArchonicYordi Active Member

I play tech death with a fretless, I use flatwounds, its better for the neck and I love the tone. No compressor, accentuate the high mids. I use a Tech 21 VT Bass DI deluxe, it gives a nice tone control.

9. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I would go with the VT if you are taking the Sansamp route. Between the Mid and the Character control (and controls on your bass) you can get some pretty good midrange.

I always liked Sean Malone's fretless tone and playing in Aghora and Cynic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdG-J9mvHMw

10. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

I'll be the third to vote for the Vt deluxe sansamp they sound ridiculous good

11. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

You should get in touch with Clayton Harder. Really nice guy, toured with Archspire for a while and he was telling me about his setup, which was very simple and clean. Just a DI setup, no amp. Check it out:

Rigged - ARCHSPIRE - GearGods