Dir en grey's Arche is one of their best albums

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Metaguitarist, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Metaguitarist

Metaguitarist SS.org Regular

I think music reviews are kind of trite, so rather than tell you how good I think it is, I just want to give a simple recommendation that any fan of experimental, atmospheric, or progressive metal who's never heard Dir en grey jump on this album the first chance they get. There is good sh1t going on here. If you enjoy this at all, Uroboros needs to be your next listen, imo, as it is their best work to date. Unfortunately, this album hasn't been distributed very well outside of Japan, so getting a physical copy can be unreasonably expensive. Here's a full album stream on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FowxcBBzaGs

JohnIce and Don Vito like this.
  2. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

Listened to the first song on the stream. Instrumentally it sounds great. If I understood Japanese, I'd probably like it a lot more.

Im a fan of being able to hear the words clear enough (for the most part) and although it does sound like he's singing clearly, ijust can't get into it. :2c:

Call me a mean-spirited, unworldly American, eye don't mind...

3. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

I love Dir en Grey, but haven't heard this album yet, will give a listen, thanks.
    So hardly any death metal, then?

(I can't understand snot when listening to growled or witchy-poo vocals.)

4. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

i'm not into this album as much as i am into their other albums but i will give this a more thorough listen sometime soon.

5. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

LOVE DIR EN GREY! :hbang:

Been meaning to check out the new album at some point. Thanks for sharing!

6. Metaguitarist

Metaguitarist SS.org Regular

Hey man, we're all entitled to our artistic opinion. I'm sure you've experienced music that took awhile to come to enjoy. Perhaps this is something like that, perhaps not. I would say that it is unlikely hearing one song of theirs is adequate. If your listening time is limited, perhaps give this a try, as it is a lot more clear vocals, and there are English subtitles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdceudJz8jA

7. splinter8451

splinter8451 SS.org Regular

This was one of my favorite albums of last year for sure. But.... I really like what Kyo is doing with Sukekiyo more. That band took over the atmosphere that creepy dark era Dir en grey had (before the metal switch).

If any Dir en grey fan hasn't checked out or heard of Sukekiyo yet then here are 2 of my favorites:

8. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

:agreed: Hardly. 15 years ago, yeah sure, but not too much these days

9. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

Fair enough. :)

Me -- haven't finished listening to it yet, but it's a must-have -- quite possibly their best and most accessible yet.

10. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Really dig this, thanks for posting! I always thought of Diru as kind of those older kids who were always a little too cool for you to hang out with so you stuck with someone more your own age (The GazettE), but this is more accessible which is what I always wanted from them. I bet their more abstract work is really interesting if you're fluent in japanese, but until then I like them a little more melodic :)

Abstract or not though I've always thought of Kyo as one of the best frontmen out there. They're incredibly high on my concert bucket list.

11. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

Slightly going off topic here, but have you listened to the latest from the Gazette? if so, what did you think of it?

12. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Only once, I dug the general vibe but it's pretty samey from song to song. I like that it's dark and heavy but it lacks variety to me. I do think it's Ruki's best vocal performance though.