Dingwall education for an uninformed guitarist

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Petef2007, May 17, 2020.

1. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

For me personally that would be the main reason to get a Dingwall.

Masoo2 likes this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Honestly, I think it's half not wanting to be too out there from most bassists and also not having to buy another set of strings in bulk, all of thier basses ship with the same bulk D'Addario set, regardless of scale/string count. The exception being signature stuff.

Though there's definitely a perception that strings are impossible to find (not really true anymore), enough so that question takes up the majority of posts on Dingwall social media and such.

Are string options more limited than a 34" four string? Definitely. Is there a reasonable amount of options right now? I think so.

Masoo2 likes this.
  3. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

This reminds of that Floyd Rose Speedloader disaster.. :lol:

4. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, that was a shit show end to end. It was totally born from a board meeting. Tons of solid ideas, but horrendous execution.

Merrekof likes this.
  5. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

kinda.

like playing a multiscale guitar in E standard, playing a Dingwall in B standard offers you a better tension and a clearer sound for the low strings, specially the B

But yeah, main advantage is to be able to de-tune to lower registers

could be. But also majority of bass players out there dont have the need to detune lower than a 5 string bass B. Even I would say most of metal music doesnt need the bass to go lower than that either, its more of a de-tuning a 4 string rather than going extra low. Its only in the niche market of the more "modern/dj0nt" metal music than you would see bass player trying to keep up with a 8 string guitar.

there is a market for such long scale need, but its not as big, so my guess is that Ibanez is jsut playing safe. Even that a 37" didnt felt as long as I though, its still might be a bit scary for a lot of people. Also "regular" packs of bass strings are all over the place in tension, so any multiscale option would help to even out a bit that. And I kinda like the new models start at 33", would help to give the G string a bit more rounded sound. I know a longer scale would give better attack, which is good for the lowB, but I dont need that for the G, it already has a lot of bite. If not Im planing a 33-35" bass build atm

6. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

To go further on the long scale strings, haven't tried anything else bit Dingwall strings. These are fairly easy to get in Belgium. Order online through Bassdirect or Musik produktiv.

And it isn't just better for low tunings, I found that neck multiscale to be a lot more comfortable to play. It didn't take 5 minutes to get used to at first. I find it harder to go back to the classic frets.
    I'd even say it is an upgrade for 4 string basses as well.

7. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I almost bought a speedloader Warlock, like really. I loved that sleek, clean headstock, had the cash on hand and ready to drop it but got doubts about it. I am glad I listened to my gut feeling and didn't buy it. Those guitars are worthless now..

8. MaxOfMetal

Can you believe folks still want money for guitars with those bridges? :lol:

9. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Actually yes. You don't want to be the guy that spent 750 bucks (iirc) on a guitar that has no strings. So after that you decide you want to minimize the damage, I guess :D

I'd still take one, for free though. Spend another 400 on a regular floyd and locking tuners, drill tuner holes and make the best of it. It was an NJ series, these were great value imo.

10. MaxOfMetal

If you're really into it, USA Floyd brand guitars pop up under $1k. I think they were like $3k originally.

11. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Nah, I was referring to BC Rich speedloader guitars in general. I prefer the Ibanez trems over floyds anyway. I don't see myself buying a floyd rose guitar.

Also, second baby incoming, home improvement going on, corona crisis giving us uncertainties.. I'm not exactly in the position of spending more. I downsizing the collection anyway

12. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I vastly prefer the Ibanez multiscale lengths. I tried a couple of Dingwall NG2s earlier this year and found them very uncomfortable to play. Seemed like nice basses otherwise but so not for me.

I was heavily considering the Ibanez EHBs but so far have just decided to stick with my BTB33 as it plays well and does the job for me with a beefy enough low B.

13. Radau

Radau Bongoloid

Had an NG3 6, wasn't super in love with it. I have an Afterburner 6 on order so we'll see how that goes :shrug:

14. Brutal08

Brutal08 SS.org Regular

I just ordered a ng3 6 in ferrari green ETA spring 2021. Lets see how this compare to my thumb6 and taranis warwicks