Dingwall bass tone without a Dingwall?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by bjgrifter, Jan 6, 2020.

1. bjgrifter

bjgrifter Djentleman, Esq.

So, I'm noticing the growl of a Dingwall, yet it's so clear. Like with Periphery and Northlane. I can't drop that much on any instrument, but I'm wondering how to get in the ballpark.

I use a Schecter Stiletto Extreme 5, stock. I'd consider pickups if it helps over EQ tweaks.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang

That growl is largely coming from the darkglass preamp/ the darkglass omega distortion pedal iirc.

Merrekof likes this.
  3. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

Use stainless strings and set up the bass so you get some fret 'clank' going

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Not familiar with the pickups in that (some sort of EMG?), nor am I familiar with which pickup positions Nolly tends to favor... but, if they're humbuckers, can you split them to function like singlecoils?

I used to own a Dingwall Afterburner 5. I eventually sold it, partly because I never really got on with the fanned scale, but also because, at the end of the day, my $200 Squier P bass with J-bass electronics just sounded better to me than the Afterburner. A singlecoil bass pickup is surprisingly devastating if you want clarity, growl, and "clank" from your sound.

Solodini, Masoo2 and akinari like this.
  5. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I know very little about bass tone. But I know I like two things, and they both seemed similar to me (and now it makes sense why): 1) Dingwall bases, and 2) Basically everything Darkglass puts out. So if Dingwall uses Darkglass, that makes the most sense out of anything else in my life.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I'd say the "Dingwall tone" is probably 50% Darkglass preamp and then equal parts pickup position (sweet spot and bridge) and then the scale.

I have a Dingwall with another on the way. Really unique tone out of the box, but you should be able to cop it.

bjgrifter likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang

if you listen to demos of the darkglass stuff they all share that growl regardless of the bass used. iirc the bassist from karnivool used 4 and 6 string warwicks for the last 2 albums -he's basically the godfather of that growly darkglass tone

Solodini likes this.
  8. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

The Dingwall tone to me is reminiscent of the old school Eddie Jackson/Queensryche bass tone from Promised Land ala "Disconnected" & "Damaged".

9. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

you can get close by running a clean signal alongside a heavily distorted one with a high-pass filter around 200hz, EQ and mix to taste.

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

- Buy Dingwall pickups (yes they are available)
    - Buy Tone Capsule Darkglass Preamp
    - use bass with scaler longer than 35inch
    - Use Steel strings not nickel

11. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Even though I only ever used it on guitar, I bought the Soul Food Bass overdrive pedal because it had that extra "blend" knob. I'm not sure if that's more common on bass OD pedals than it is on guitar, but I LOVED that sound. I never actually played a bass though it, but I could see how that could go a long way.

Solodini likes this.
  12. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

The clarity is mostly due to the scale length, and there is no substitute for that.

13. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

I bought an darkglass preamp and put that one in my brice 37scale bass - sounds like a dingwall instantly!

lewis and bostjan like this.
  14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I advocate calling this tone "Nolly's tone," as opposed to "Dingwall tone." Dingwall has made tons of other instruments (i.e. basses) that don't have the Darkglass electronics in the past.

Anyway. Think of any particular tone like a cake. The cake is how it is because of the ingredients and because of the way it is made with those ingredients. It is possible to make a cake that tastes similar with different ingredients, particularly if you know how to bake very well. Similarly, if you don't have the Dingwall NG, you can achieve a very similar tone, if you know how to adjust you playing and your settings very well.

Likewise, if you don't play with the same techniques and don't use any similar principles in determining your settings, you could use exactly the same equipment and sound totally unique.

Everyone in this thread is already keyed in perfectly with the "key ingredients": darkglass preamp/capsule, Dingwall pickups, extended scale length. @Drew mentioned another set of ingredients that works better for him (single coil pickups).

So, since your bass is 35", and you don't want a new instrument, I would say try a Darkglass capsule first, as that's the key ingredient that is easiest to change. If that gets you most of the way you want to go, but you need more, try the Dingwall pickups. If not, maybe investigate your approach to playing and settings.

AxeHappy, bjgrifter and Exchanger like this.
  15. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Yep, I'd very much suggest looking into the general modern metal bass production technique in general. Some of the more recent Darkglass gear, as well as the Neural Parallax software, is designed to make this kind of multiband distortion/compression/clean blending etc easier for you

Flappydoodle likes this.
  16. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I once travelled down this road too and ended up buying a Combustion 5. Best purchase ever and totally worth the money imo.

Now, the Combustion came stock with an EMG 3 band EQ and I replaced it with the Darkglass. To my surprise, it wasn't that different. Would I choose the Darkglass over the EMG? Yes, definetely. Would I swap out the EMG eq for the Darkglass? I don't think so, aside from different eq frequencies, they aren't that much different. The bass I owned before, an LTD B5E had a similar or thesame (can't recall right now) preamp on board as the stock Combustion yet both basses sound vastly different.

That said, I don't think a Darkglass preamp in you Schecter is gonna get the sound you want. That sound is a sum of multiple things.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  17. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

^ Agreed, I am surprised how much emphasis is placed on the Darkglass preamp in basses. It's not like it's being used for distortion. Just some slightly different frequencies indeed (and not necessarily the 'best' sounding ones for any given bass, or ones different to what you may already have present on other pedals/amp controls). I like to select preamps by EQing the passive bass to taste in a DAW and finding which preamp matches my favourite frequencies closest.
    The Darkglass pedal preamps in terms of pedal distortion however are certainly important , but it's nothing that can't be emulated with other distortion and production techniques

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  18. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

I agree that the typical "djent" tone that Nolly et al use shouldn't be called the "Dingwall tone", as that is doing a disservice to Dingwalls in general. Dingwall were around a long time before "djent".

If you just want to get close to the tone, then straighten your neck right out and drop the action down until it buzzes a little when you dig in. This is my personal preference for a setup on virtually any bass, though I don't play metal. From there, add some distortion from a Darkglass Alpha / Omega or similar. Darkglass have a quite distinct "clean" quality to their distortion. I find some bass distortion pedals can add a lot of fuzz and wooliness. There's a YouTube video somewhere where Nolly talks through his EQ settings, but you may need to customise somewhat based on your gear. For example, if your bass amp has tweeters you may way to roll them off or remove some highs from the EQ as the distortion can make them sound really harsh and nasty.

Another thing to consider is picking technique. Nolly did a video for Scott's Bass Lessons where he talks through his picking technique. From what I remember it's a thin pick, nestled between thumb and forefinger in almost a closed fist, picking with a lot of wrist and elbow motion, hitting hard to make the string clank off the top frets.

bjgrifter, Flappydoodle and Solodini like this.
  19. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

That's actually a good comparison. At least 50% of that tone is the Darkglass pre, though.

20. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

No, it is not. As I stated here before, an EMG 3 band eq does the job just as good as the Darkglass tone capsule. If I set my Combustion 5 on passive mode, that clank is still there, albeit a lot less prominent.

To go further on the OP's question, it might be good trying out a Darkglass B3K or something similar.

LordIronSpatula likes this.