DiMarzio suggestions please

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by littlebadboy, Sep 21, 2019.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I have a PRS S2 Standard 22. I like how it feels. The orig pups are great! But, I want more grit.

I mostly play hard rock or metal. I like pronounced chugs or palm mutes and angry distortions. On the neck position, I like it to be bluesy but great cleans.

I was thinking of the Seymour Duncan Custom 5 SH-14 bridge and Jazz. But, I have never tried a DiMarzio yet. So, I thought of trying 'em. What's a DMarzio model that sounds like the seymour models mentioned above?

Thanks!

2. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Crunchlab - Liquifire?

littlebadboy likes this.
  3. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

i like the gravity storm set a lot. They are bright but not overly so, and not shrill in any way. They have a very vocal mid range and the lows are there but not muddy. It is a pickup set that is more on the bright side.
    If you want thick, warm, round and clear maybe the Breed set.
    If you are doing more dropped stuff I'd say d-sonic and maybe an air norton in the neck.
    if you like a very clear and articulate neck with almost a single coil feel, the humbucker from hell would be a good choice. the hum from hell paired with a super distortion works well, or paired with a steve's special works well. The SS is a love or hate pickup imo, it is a clear pickup though, and also works well with the air norton too. The AN is a fat and clear neck pickup that is pretty good at a number of things.

If you want a brighter neck but none of the other stuff is really sounding right to you, a less seen choice is the fred put in the neck. It is a hidden gem as a neck pickup.

youtube is great , but it is hard to get the in the room vibe with each of the pickups. They all have a pretty unique feel to the.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

littlebadboy and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  5. littlebadboy

6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

The Custom 5 is a unique modern pickup that is severely scooped, and I haven't heard anything that quite sounds like it. It has its own thing going on, which is why it is so great for modern music (or extremely mid-heavy guitars).

littlebadboy likes this.
  7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I have a Dominion bridge and Gravity Storm neck in my main guitar and they check all of your boxes :yesway: I actually have a Dominion in several of my guitars because I love it so much

The Dominion is a pretty medium-output pickup with a ton of thick mids and a nice snarl to it. Great for tuning down, tight chugging, and big chords. My main guitar with it is in Drop B, but I also have one in a guitar in Drop D and another that goes as low as G. The description and spec/eq chart on the Dimarzio site is spot-on for it.

The Gravity Storm is also very thick and mid-heavy, but it's less "modern" than the Dominion. Warmer overall, but it has an articulate top end that makes it great for cleans and leads. Super juicy pickup overall

littlebadboy likes this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Chronic GAS

+1 for dominion bridge. It's a warmer, slightly thicker feeling titan as far as I'm concerned. It's excellent for chug centric riffage or even bluesy lead work.

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Definitely. I'm actually off-handedly on the lookout for a fourth Dominion to put into another one of my guitars. I had a Dominion in there for a short while and liked it, but ended up switching it with a Titan set that I had in another guitar. Turns out I prefer the Dominion in both guitars :lol: I'll likely keep the Titan neck, though it will probably benefit from an Alnico V or II magnet swap to smooth out the attack and get it more in the tonal range of the Gravity Storm

10. KnightBrolaire

I much preferred the dominion bridge to the titan bridge.

11. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

I really, really like the Dominion too. I just got a Titan set, just haven't installed it yet (or even figured out what guitar to put them in lol).

I want to try a Super 3. May be kind of a hidden gem with a thick sound and high output.

I'd also recomend a Gravity Storm in the neck.

12. KnightBrolaire

the super 3 is muddy as shit compared to the dominion and titan. It's good if you want a doomy/sludgy type tone but sucks balls for anything else imo.

Bobo and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  13. littlebadboy

Thanks all! I'll be listening to Dominion demos on YouTube.

14. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

I may still try it in a thin sounding Floyd equipped Jackson that'll be in standard tuning. May get some Phil Collen tones.

15. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I haven't tried much from DiMarzio but I wasn't a fan of the Titan. Maybe it would be better in a different guitar than the swamp ash 7 I had it in.

16. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I'm assuming you mostly play in standard? It wasn't mentioned. Tuning will matter.. IF you're mostly in standard or drop D, i'd go with their "classic rock" set which is a Super Distortion bridge and PAF 36th anniversary neck. The bridge is powerful, thick, but not too crazy and works well for hard rock and metal. PAF is good for cleans and sounds good distorted too...
    I know there's lots of options out there, but you gotta remember the suggestions people give you are based on their own personal taste.. Everyone here plays different types of "metal", in different tuning, and their playing style differs...

17. littlebadboy

Hey thanks! I am forever tuned on drop D. I use a Digitech Drop to go lower.

18. littlebadboy

I used the pickup selector of DiMarzio website and it got me more confused. I put in the parameters such as my guitar's type of wood among other preferences and it did not suggest the Dominion at all! It suggested the following:

For more output bridge:
    Super Distortion
    X2N
    Igno

For warmer/fatter:
    AT-1
    Super Distortion
    Super 3

Any thoughts?

As I mentioned earlier, I want pronounced and heavy chugs/palm mutes and angry distortions.

19. Choop

Choop n______n

I think the D Sonic would be a great pickup for what you want. Also the Dominion is rad, and could be worth a try IMO.

20. Sollipsist

Sollipsist SS.org Regular

The only DiMarzios I'm familiar with are the Tone Zone bridge & Air Norton neck that came on my Ibanez. I replaced them with Foxbats, and didn't regret it one bit, but I didn't dislike the originals.

I wouldn't recommend the Air Norton - a bit too thick and characterless for what I like in that position. But I've been thinking it would make a good medium gain bridge pickup.

The Tone Zone was super thick. I had to back off the amount of gain I usually use, but the results were pretty great for heavy riffing and bridge pickup leads. If I had a thin-sounding guitar with lighter gauge strings, something that needed some extra girth, it would be perfect.

Both of them were, uh, more forgiving of my technique than any of the Duncans or Guitarmory pickups that I've used. I'd say they'd be a good choice if you're more interested in sounding good than working on your skills.