Dimarzio pickups - am I the only one..

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by BabUShka, Sep 2, 2021.

1. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

Thanks, good to hear. Ive had Rebel Yell, Black Dog, VHII, Riff Raff and Mule so far. Great pickups. I would love to try some of the high output stuff soon. Just recieved an Emerald bridge in the mail, will try to install it in my Gibson les paul as soon, and also try the D Activator set on my JP6.

I have to be fair and mention that i really like the lead / solo sound of the Crunch Lab. It sings well and is pretty pleasant to shred with.

I also have a Dimarzio Fred laying around somewhere that I can try out in my 7 sting.

After reading all the replies, Im convinced that many people seem to like Dimarzios for a reason, perhaps I should try our more models before I decide if they fit me or not.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  2. Bg999

Bg999 SS.org Regular

I didn't like the CL/LF in my EBMM JP6 until I tweaked the polepieces.
    For the CL, there's a certain hex polepiece position where the pick attack changes. It sounded almost like it's double-tracked. The pick attack became rounder but very percussive. The solo tone also became more focused and vocal-like. I think why they call it the "crunch lab" was because they managed to find a way to add a bit of overlaying crunch/buzz to the otherwise fat/dark-ish tone that makes it so tight, percussive, yet musical. In my guitar it sounded really close to JP's demo (guitar only clip of "rite of passage" solo) from back when their website still have clips. Until now it's my benchmark when trying out new guitar/pickups, because it sounds so good through any amps or FX.

I really like dimarzio pickups, and actually prefer them to passive duncans. IMO they have a very musical sounding midrange and complex harmonics. The only duncan I own that I think is on par with dimarzio is the antiquity JB. I currently own or have tried the SH4/SH5/SH6/SH2 neck/SH12/PATB2.

I find The TZ works really great in some guitars (like in my RG3120), but can be muddy in others. However, in my PRS custom the dimarzio Transition I've tried sounded inferior to the OEM PRS pickups (now I use BKP Rebel Yell/Stormy monday in that guitar). I also really like the X2N in my sold caparison horus. That pickup was so hot there's some kind of "blurry" quality to the sound that made solos sound smooth. The bottom end is huge but also quite tight. I've had great experiences with the Super D, Super 3, TZ, Evolution, Fred, Mo-Joe, X2N, Breed, Dominion, CL/LF, PAF 36th, AT-1, Humbucker from hell neck.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Strobe and Neon_Knight_ like this.
  3. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland SS.org Regular

I have found that I don't care for any Dimarzio with big bass/mids (8) reduced treble (4/5). They are overly thick and woolly sounding to me. I like the Evolutions and 36 Anny's but Tone Zones, Air Zones, AT1 etc don't work for me. I use mostly mahogany guitars with slightly heavier gauges so it makes sense.

BigViolin and Themistocles like this.
  4. Themistocles

Themistocles SS.org Regular

yeah the TZ7 was perfect for my rather bright Carvin 747 with an alder through neck and 12mm thick maple top and FR(L)

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  5. Lax

Lax SS.org Regular

I'd love to know more about that in details, since I have a JP12 with CL/LF and this could enhance my guitar :)

6. Bg999

Bg999 SS.org Regular

Yeah I just tweaked the hex polepieces while listening to the pick attack. Like any other pickups there's a sweet spot and in my opinion for the CL pick attack was a good indicator.
    If I remember correctly, the bar is the brighter coil (?), so lowering the hex polepiece (turn clockwise) should make the pick attack more dry, while raising it would make it more loose. I just try to find a good balance between them.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    gclef likes this.
  7. gclef

gclef SS.org Regular

I am a big dimarzio fan.

Seymour duncan does nothing for me, for the most part. They seem like slight variations on a theme.

Dimarzio has so many different pickups its silly. They seem to cull rhe slow selling redundant pickups like the paf classics, virtual paf and vhpaf)

They have a remarkable number of pickups that can "fix" a guitar's sound.

Sound thin and bright? They can fix that.
    Need more harmonics? Yep.
    Like a pickup but want more feel? They have airbuckers.

In very general terms, dimarzios have more mids than duncans do. I like mids, and dimarzio does some cool stuff that makes the mid character really pop with gain.

They also seem to mesh well with my playing style. I seem to play better on my dimarzio guitars.

But, like anything, i could do the same thing if i spent a bunch of time with duncans instead. I'd just have to eq them to sound like dimarzios.:cool:

BabUShka and Neon_Knight_ like this.
  8. Eyelessfiend

Eyelessfiend SS.org Regular

I do love me some DiMarzio's but it took a few pickups before I really liked em. I had played all their single coils and was pretty meh on em tried the TZ/AN combo and didn't vibe with it. Then I tried an X2N and fell in love.

Since then I have a DAX set in a Jackson Dinky, evo7 in a Schecter, and CL/LF sets in my Dunables. I do like Duncans,BKP, BLKTRI, Lace and others. All brands have cool options to offer.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  9. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I bet you that sterile / thin sound from the RG550 is the actual guitar itself rather than the pickups. Those guitars are so light and thin, they barely exist. The necks are Super Wizard necks which are literally the thinnest necks in production, the bodies are super lightweight, the locking trem is a natural sustain killer, then people slap 9's on them and expect great results. The pickups naturally take the blame over a bad sound first, but it could be the guitar itself.

As far as using a Tone Zone in a EC1000, I personally would never do that. That's an all mahogany body and neck guitar which will naturally sound darker , then you install literally the darkest sounding Dimarzio in existence, that's a recipe for mud. If I were to use a Tone Zone i'd use it on a naturally bright or thin sounding guitar which is why you see them a lot in Ibanez RG guitars and super Strats.

Crunch Lab and Liquifire aren't a bad set, but they aren't for everyone and in the wrong amp setup they can sound bad.

To me it sounds more like bad pickup choices for your guitars and setup.

BabUShka and Neon_Knight_ like this.
  10. Neon_Knight_

Neon_Knight_ SS.org Regular

Completely agree on the Tone Zone. Never going to be my favourite pickup for any guitar, but it sounds far better in my RG655 (essentially a modern RG550) than I expected. In my RG652 it sounds too thick and boomy for my taste - due to the fixed bridge and extra body wood (rear routed so smaller cavity) - despite being otherwise the same guitar.

11. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

In the right guitar a Tone Zone works amazing. I wasnt expecting to like it either but it worked perfect (for me) in my RG1570, which honestly sounded quite thin before. I would not use it for downtuned music though ..although Angel Vivaldi used it for the whole Synape album and it sounds pretty good . The 7 string version does have a ceramic magnet though..

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  12. Neon_Knight_

Neon_Knight_ SS.org Regular

The main reason I say it's "never going to be my favourite pickup for any guitar" is that I prefer higher output ceramic pickups that have a bit more bite (e.g. D Activator set for lower tunings or Super D + Super 2 for standard tuning). For standard tuning, I slightly prefer the stock Dimarzio/IBZ pickups in my RG2550Z to the Tone Zone + Air Norton in my RG655.

It's probably worth mentioning that I mostly play metal (anything from NWOBHM to death metal). If I was choosing pickups for lower gain/distortion rock, I may well prefer the Tone Zone + Air Norton to the other pickups I've mentioned. For my RG652, the stock Tone Zone + Air Norton didn't sound bad, but just wasn't the sound I want from any of my guitars (so much low-mids that really bloomed). Would have been ideal for certain styles, but I put in D Activators and down-tuned it to B-standard, for death metal (e.g. Amon Amarth, Carcass).

13. Lax

Lax SS.org Regular

For high gain the tonewood debate isn't really relevant, pickup's voicing and output remains most of the overall tone.
    di marzio has a huge number of pickups indeed, I wish there was some audio app to compare them on the fly :)

14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Super D + Super 2 combo works great in D standard, too. At least to my ears. But I've used the X2N + EVO bridge (in the neck) for all sorts of tunings. If you use a tube amp and need a little more front end oomph, that's the way to go, IMO.

Zhysick and Neon_Knight_ like this.
  15. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

I was lucky enough to buy a mint F-Spaced BKP C-Bomb, with a Custom base plate that fits the JP6. Thats crazy. But im going to try that path.

That said, I recently cranked my amp and boosted it a lot with a nice OD. The Crunch Lab actually came to life and opended up more. Not my favourite, but it actually sounded pretty good. I have BKP in 5 of my guitars so I guess its a sign that i just prefer this brand soundwise. But I'll definetely not sell my D Activators. Perhaps the DA could pair with one of my other guitars. I need some more time to experiment a little it more. Theres a Titan for sale in my area, maybe ill pick it up.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  16. evade

evade enthusiast

I'm kind of whatever on them. I have D Activators on my SLSMG, but I prefer SD's or EMGhz. (Yeah, I know...)