Dimarzio pickups - am I the only one..

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by BabUShka, Sep 2, 2021.

1. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

Thanks, good to hear. Ive had Rebel Yell, Black Dog, VHII, Riff Raff and Mule so far. Great pickups. I would love to try some of the high output stuff soon. Just recieved an Emerald bridge in the mail, will try to install it in my Gibson les paul as soon, and also try the D Activator set on my JP6.

I have to be fair and mention that i really like the lead / solo sound of the Crunch Lab. It sings well and is pretty pleasant to shred with.

I also have a Dimarzio Fred laying around somewhere that I can try out in my 7 sting.

After reading all the replies, Im convinced that many people seem to like Dimarzios for a reason, perhaps I should try our more models before I decide if they fit me or not.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  2. Bg999

Bg999 SS.org Regular

I didn't like the CL/LF in my EBMM JP6 until I tweaked the polepieces.
    For the CL, there's a certain hex polepiece position where the pick attack changes. It sounded almost like it's double-tracked. The pick attack became rounder but very percussive. The solo tone also became more focused and vocal-like. I think why they call it the "crunch lab" was because they managed to find a way to add a bit of overlaying crunch/buzz to the otherwise fat/dark-ish tone that makes it so tight, percussive, yet musical. In my guitar it sounded really close to JP's demo (guitar only clip of "rite of passage" solo) from back when their website still have clips. Until now it's my benchmark when trying out new guitar/pickups, because it sounds so good through any amps or FX.

I really like dimarzio pickups, and actually prefer them to passive duncans. IMO they have a very musical sounding midrange and complex harmonics. The only duncan I own that I think is on par with dimarzio is the antiquity JB. I currently own or have tried the SH4/SH5/SH6/SH2 neck/SH12/PATB2.

I find The TZ works really great in some guitars (like in my RG3120), but can be muddy in others. However, in my PRS custom the dimarzio Transition I've tried sounded inferior to the OEM PRS pickups (now I use BKP Rebel Yell/Stormy monday in that guitar). I also really like the X2N in my sold caparison horus. That pickup was so hot there's some kind of "blurry" quality to the sound that made solos sound smooth. The bottom end is huge but also quite tight. I've had great experiences with the Super D, Super 3, TZ, Evolution, Fred, Mo-Joe, X2N, Breed, Dominion, CL/LF, PAF 36th, AT-1, Humbucker from hell neck.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  3. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland SS.org Regular

I have found that I don't care for any Dimarzio with big bass/mids (8) reduced treble (4/5). They are overly thick and woolly sounding to me. I like the Evolutions and 36 Anny's but Tone Zones, Air Zones, AT1 etc don't work for me. I use mostly mahogany guitars with slightly heavier gauges so it makes sense.

Themistocles likes this.
  4. Themistocles

Themistocles SS.org Regular

yeah the TZ7 was perfect for my rather bright Carvin 747 with an alder through neck and 12mm thick maple top and FR(L)

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  5. Lax

Lax SS.org Regular

I'd love to know more about that in details, since I have a JP12 with CL/LF and this could enhance my guitar :)

6. Bg999

Bg999 SS.org Regular

Yeah I just tweaked the hex polepieces while listening to the pick attack. Like any other pickups there's a sweet spot and in my opinion for the CL pick attack was a good indicator.
    If I remember correctly, the bar is the brighter coil (?), so lowering the hex polepiece (turn clockwise) should make the pick attack more dry, while raising it would make it more loose. I just try to find a good balance between them.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021