Dimarzio Pickup Wiring on Ibanez MMM1

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by soundbase, Aug 30, 2019.

1. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

I picked up a used Ibanez MMM1, but the previous user had done some weird mods. They put in terrible hum buckers, and a switch to switch the phase on the pickups. Plus they added push/pull pots to coil split. And both the knobs are volume knobs. But they had wired it in a weird way where if you turned the volume down on one Humbucker there would be no sound. So there was always a mix of volume on each volume knob to get a sound.

I didn't like it so I thought I would scrap the lot and try rewire it myself.

I have a Dimarzio D Sonic Bridge, and Dimarzio Evolution Bridge. This is my first pickup wiring so take it easy on e if I got it wrong. I did try follow the Dimarzio wiring diagrams, but I could have got lost somewhere. So I want both hum buckers to be coli split, and I want both knobs to be Volume knobs, so no tone

So far I have only wired up the bridge pickup, but am getting no sound.

This is the top view, showing the pickup, and the volume knobs and phase switch

[​IMG]

Then I cut all the cables, cos it was crazy mess, and have removed the phase switch completely. I have only wired up the bridge pickup for now going to the toggle switch.

[​IMG]

And here is the view of the push/pot. So I have soldered silver and green to the side of the pot.
    Red and white are on the middle right of the 6 pin pot part as looking at it in this picture

And then the black wire is on the fist bottom pin on the pot.

[​IMG]

Any help will be much appreciated. And like I said this is my first pickup wiring, so I could be horrendously wrong. But any advice would be great. Maybe I completely misunderstood the DiMarzio Wiring Diagrams. :)

2. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

First things first.

After physically mounting the pickups and running the wires to the rear cavity, string up the guitar and tune it so its ready to play.

3. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Second,

post the wiring diagram you are following...

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Is the pickup selector switch just a regular 3-way? If so, the purple wire going to the jack is soldered to the correct lugs on the switch, but the other purple wire isn't needed at all. I can't tell if the push/pull wiring is right, but past that, take the hot/output wire from the push/pull and solder it to the two lugs I've circled in red. You won't need to wire anything to the two outermost lugs on the 3-way switch.

You should also check to be sure the two wires going to the output jack aren't reversed. I've made that mistake a bunch of times :eek:

Attached Files:

5. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Yes, as far as I can see from the pictures you are missing the wire that goes from the middle lug of the pot (the output lets say) to the pickup switch. I'm not sure but I think the third lug of the volume pot don't have a wire and should have one going to ground: that can be the side of the pot or where you have the gray wire coming out from the top (in the pic, bottom in reallity) of the pot, that's the common place for ground in the push/pull kind of pots.

About the coil-split... it's not very clear in the pic but if you have the pair of wires (black+white) in the middle lug of the switch you need as well a wire going to ground, in the same column, in the upper or lower lug depending on how you want your push/pull to work: if you want to have full humbuckers when the pot is down you put the ground wire closer to the top of the guitar, otherwise closer to the bottom of the pot.

By the way: very well done, being your first time wiring a guitar it is very very cautious to do first just one humbucker and then the other, well done.

6. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

Im leaving the strings off for now, cos they just getting in the way. I'm just using a screwdriver and am touching the pickups to test if they getting a signal. Will string up when am happy there's something coming through

Zhysick likes this.
  7. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

I've removed that middle purple cable. With the black cable coming form the pickup if I move it from the left to the right most lug, isn't that then going to be routed to the wrong way on the toggle? Like won't that be routed to when the toggle is all the way to the left when looking down at it? So for example isn't that the position used for the neck pickup?

And I have left the jack cabling as it was before, when it was working. SO I cut all the cables and removed them except for the cabling form the jack. So I'm hoping that it was cabled corrected, cos it was working before

8. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

I was using this one for 1 Humbucker with volume coil-split. But realised this is not taking into account it connecting to a toggle switch

https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/1h1ppsplitv.pdf

Should I rather be using this one? What I want is 2 humbuckers with volume pots with coil-split. But no tone

https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/rotary_split.pdf

But in testing, I just want to cable the bridge first to make sure its all working and then will wire the neck pickup

what's confusing me about the second link is that's only fo one volume. I cant find a diagram for a two volume option. Or should I just wire it this way with one volume and just leave the other volume knob disconnected?

Any advice is much appreciated :0

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  9. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

You can use a simple 2 HB toggle-switch wiring with a p/p volume knob to activate coil split.