DiMarzio Pickup Choices HH

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Christian Giuffre, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Christian Giuffre

Christian Giuffre SS.org Regular

Im looking at getting a set of HH DiMarzio pickups for a Hard-Tail, American Basswood guitar. I mainly play everything from Indie Alternative to Hard Rock and some more Prog Metal. I would love to hear some of your suggestions.

Thanks, Chris

2. odibrom

odibrom .

I'd say to aim for medium output pickups... Is it a 6, 7 or 8 stringer?

For 6 strings I'd go for AlNiCo 5 magnet loaded pickups if possible.

For 7 strings, AirNorton and PAFs or similar pickups.

I'd also invest in creative wiring to get the most out of the pickups. By versatility I mean series/parallel/single coil combos on both pickups; Inner or Outer coil combos in series or parallel (different flavors), etc... With such a broad spectrum of expressions, versatility is a must.

The906 likes this.
  3. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

For a 6 stringer, You can't go wrong with most medium output pickups. I like the PAF Pro in the neck and an Air Zone in the bridge. Pretty versatile.

If you aren't 100% set on Dimarzio, the "hot rodded humbucker set" from Duncan (JB bridge and Jazz neck) is pretty cheap and will cover all your bases well. I've got that in my main guitar and love them.

Odibrom has some good ideas about wiring. I'm more of a simplicity nut myself (how much versatility can I get from simple controls). I like the Petrucci standard of a 3 position switch with the middle position being both pickups, each in coil tap / single coil mode. That lets you get kind of jangly like a tele or a strat if you want. And then the other two positions are your standard humbucker sounds. Very versatile, but very simple to control.
    Standard HH wiring with a 3 way switch is pretty solid, too. The middle position still gets kind of jangly for a different sound.

odibrom likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pet kitties, spend fiddies

depends on what kind of characteristics you want the pickups to emphasize and what you don't like about your current pickups.

5. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

For Ibbys my fav is Breed bridge. Meaty and vocal.

6. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

DiMarzio Tone Zone / Air Norton set. The classic DiMarzio Petrucci setup! Alongside the Duncan JB/Jazz set, this is my go to setup! They work particularly great in basswood guitars, like Ibanez.

Strobe likes this.
  7. Christian Giuffre

Thanks, will certainly have a look at some wiring techniques

odibrom likes this.
  8. Christian Giuffre

Well, Id like to try and make the notes 'pop' as much as possible. I am totally in love with the tones that people like AV (Who got me onto DiMarzio in the first place), Polyphia, Scale the Summit etc.

9. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Line 666

I also play basswood and poplar guitars with Floyds and hardtails and here are the Dimarzio and SD pickups I like. I play brutal dm and jazz mostly.
    Neck: D-Activator (like butter but very hot), Paf Pro, Liquifire, also Seymour Duncan Jazz (my favorite) '59 is cool too
    Bridge: Evolution (If I had to pick one but it fits my alley so well), EVO 2 (more well rounded not as bright and hot), SD Custom Trembucker is sweet, Crunch Lab, '59 Trembucker if you like fusion leads or classic rock/metal style
    7-String: Illuminator set, D-Activator Neck (slippery hot), EVO7, Blaze set is very good
    As you can tell I like brighter and hot pickups to slam the signal and then adjust amp to taste, different pickups may alter amps settings like gain or mids in ways you may not like.

10. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Here to say that I use the AN in basswood and it rocks real smooth, I've also used Evos to great effect but also must say that a parallel or split X2N is still and will probably always will be a wonderful thing to behold.

11. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

I have a confession to make, and this thread seems like the appropriate place: Sometimes - No - Much of the time, when I post here, I’m unwilling to admit what I don’t know. And this problem with my ego leads me to post a bunch of nonsense that really doesn’t add up to a real opinion or even something that can be equated to making literal sense once you remove the capitalized buzzwords and products from the thought. Like, I’ll mention my whole rig and a completely different brand, style, and construction of the guitar from what the OP has in the course of advocating a particular pickup, because I guess I’m just really insecure and need people to know I can afford the stuff. Like, why should anyone care that I own a Korean Juggernaut in a thread about Dimarzio pickups?

I’ve been guilty of misleading people who only want to know what pickups will make their new guitar they’re excited about sound awesome, and I rightly deserve to be ridiculed for that. At the least, it’s a load off my conscience to finally be able to admit that I have no credibility in such matters - whatsoever -, and honestly lack a vantage point from which to claim to really know anything about this guy’s gear or how he can use it to achieve the sound he hears in his head. I mean, what do I think I am, a MIND READER? How can I even IMPLY that I know what you want better than you do? And I’ve been unwilling to admit that to myself until now.

Truthfully, the OP could find a more direct and informed recommendation from a simple email correspondence with one of dozens of established pickup manufacturers, who routinely respond to customer emails within twenty-four hours. I don’t know how I convinced myself that I’m privy to information they don’t have - I don’t even know how a guitar pickup works - What the hell am I doing recommending the one I only have in my guitar because some guy I listen to used it? How the hell does that apply to this guy’s situation, and who am I to prescribe anything, when I don’t even know what I like in a pickup? I guess I’ve just been daydreaming that a particular pickup will make me sound like that one guy, when I’ve put zero thought into how to achieve sounding more like myself. And even if I had that kind of meager achievement, I’d only be qualified to advise people how to sound more like me. But I don’t even have that!

Not only do I not have the answers - I don’t even have the questions! For all I know, wizards could be inside my pickup. I guess all the buzzwords and brands and inappropriate adjectives I use to describe how a pickup sounds to me have only been a shorthand for what I’ve been unwilling to admit I don’t know.

I’m sorry, @Christian Giraffe, I don’t think anything I can say can even be taken as trying to benefit you - The most that comes naturally for me to share on this board is just a string of jargon that’s only for the sake of giving the impression that I know what’s good. But now I’m not sure of anything, anymore. I think I need to buy something.

Like, any time I make a post prescribing a purchase of a product just because I own it - or my friend owns it, or I watched a few YouTube reviews, I’m always fearful that someone will call me out on my bullshit. Hell, even someone asking me basic questions about the thing would expose me. But so far, I’ve been lucky in that someone else who happens to own the product or has a similar YouTube feed +1s my post and gives it credibility. But that doesn’t make me feel any less like an imposter.

I hope everyone will forgive me. I’m a big, fat, asshole imposter, on some backwater guitar messageboard that was sold for its capability to generate ad revenue from a niche group of assholes who’d rather post about how low they can tune their musical instruments than share evidence of the music they presumably make with them. I don’t really know anything about guitars, because I can only relate them to myself - And I no longer believe I know even that.

TL;DR: I typed a lot of stuff in this post, but all you need to take away from it is that I don’t know anything about pickups other than what I’ve tried on the menu. I mean, I paid for it; so it’s probably good, right? I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful. You should all probably ignore everything I just shared about myself and my prejudices. I couldn’t even be concise with it. SORRY.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    LiveOVErdrive and odibrom like this.
  12. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

........dude you’re not gonna hang yourself after writing that are you? o_O

13. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

The forum hive mind is becoming self aware!

But yeah there's a lot of sense in what you're saying.

Email dimarzio and they'll give you a good suggestion.

14. odibrom

odibrom .

@Andrew Lloyd Webber lol, your sarcasm is on fire dude. I think @Christian Giuffre wanted a first hand opinion about this subject or, in other words an "artist point of view", which will differ from what the brands might say... and I guess most (bigger) brands might have their mailboxes full with what pickup is right for me kind of questions and may even ignore or link them to their FAQs or pickup finder pages... or he has already done that... or he trusts better in our opinions, which are what they are and I'm sure he can filter what suits him better.

I've tried a fair amount of pickups already and explored most of their possible tones (series, parallel, single). Many of them can achieve similar results having different amp tweaks, more gain here, less treble there, whatever. My suggestion was based on my experience, specially on my somehow recent discovery of Alnico loaded pickups, medium output (medium wound) pickups and compared this with my DiMarzio experience (which on the 7 strings are all ceramic). For @Christian Giuffre expression span, I believe it makes more sense a medium output pickup since it can get metal and also those Indie and rock tones...

15. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

What do you consider to be an "indie tone"? Are we talking clean guitars and mellow vocals or fuzzed out lo-fi stuff?

16. odibrom

odibrom .

I'd say all of it minus vocals 'cause we're talking guitars... :D

17. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I was more trying to get a feel for the style. :)

odibrom likes this.
  18. Christian Giuffre

Aha
    haha best comment I swear. Thanks anyway man. I did actually contact someone Fiom dimarzio or o ne of their outlets or something, an they suggested a Liquifire in the neck and a DActivator in the bridge.

19. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

Any particular reason you're limiting yourself to strictly Dimarzio? I'm a huge fan of the Duncan Custom myself. I don't think you'd be disappointed with one of those. Can't say anything about neck pickups though since I've always left them stock.

20. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I can tell you what I've enjoyed repeatedly in multiple guitars of different woods. D-Activator in the bridge of the m-207 and 7421 I've had. I ordered a Titan from Sweetwater and they sent me a neck pickup and I didn't even notice. My 2nd favorite is that in the bridge. Less output and a really nice grind in the mids. D-Activator is like an 81 with more punch and less compressed.