Dimarzio high-powered pickup with great split sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by adrianb, Nov 22, 2019.

1. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

I'm thinking of converting my Stratocaster that has an SSS pickup config to HSH but with series/parallel/single coil switching for all pickups. What are the Dimarzio high-powered models that give a nice coil split sound, close to an SSS Strat with true single coils? My Strat is a 21 fret, so the neck pickup position would be as a 21/22-fret, not a 24-fret, and bridge will not be slanted.

I'm also thinking that i would want the coil splits to be such that, for the bridge the coil closest to the bridge would be on, and for the neck, the coil closest to the neck.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Super Distortion or Super 3 for the bridge, and maybe a Super 2 for the neck. Middle would be a Fast Track 1.

Second choice is Evolution bridge and neck, Fast Track 1 middle.

Third choice is Crunch Lab bridge, Liquifire neck, Fast Track 1 middle.

Thoughts and comments please?

Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  2. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I can say the X2N in the bridge has amazing split tones, very very true single coil tones. For the neck I don't know what to recommend but based in my experience and because of similar construction, if so we're you I would look into the D'Activator X models.

3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I'm currently having a D Activator X set me put on my PRS HH but opted for parallel switch than single coil split. I'm going to post a demo when done.

4. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

I actually was also considering the X2N, but i also don't know what to pair with it in the neck. :-D Interesting suggestion, thanks.

5. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

I'm looking forward to that. Thanks.

6. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

X2N/AN (air norton) dude
    That’s a killer combo

7. odibrom

odibrom .

Hi there.

In my experience, the hottest the humbucker, the better the single coil split tones. However, there's a limit (to me at least) to usable hotness. The hottest the humbucker, the less interesting clean tones it will have... almost none, to be honest. Also, very hot pickups don't prime on articulation...

It will be a matter of personal taste, obviously. Personally, I've found an interesting compromise on Medium-High output pickups instead of just high output. I can still drive really heavy tones at the amp, keep articulation and have interesting clean and split tones. I also use a compressor to even the split and series volume output.

8. Politics of Ecstasy

I actually wanted to say this. I agree

you don’t need super hot high output to get a super heavy sound

but I didn’t want to presume that much, so just a side note to echo this notion

I would look at something besides the X2N only because despite the output there might be a better tonal profile for your sound that you can always make heavier with your rig

odibrom likes this.
  9. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

Thanks for the insight. I'm not really a clean player, and i'm not big on the cleans from full-size humbuckers, so the single coil/parallel modes would be used for clean tones. This would cut the hotness down to 60% or thereabouts.

I'm also aware that should a pickup prove to be way too hot i can always lower it.

I'm weird in that, for so many years i had a kind of aversion to having the pickups set too high. The Dimarzios in my Strat are over 23 years old (Fast Track 1 neck, Chopper middle, Fast Track 2 bridge). When i first installed them i lowered them quite substantially. But it was only in the past year or so that i started raising them. Now i have them a tiny smidge over the minimum recommended distance.

odibrom and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  10. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

I have 3 single-coil sized Dimarzio rails in my Strat, and no matter how i tweak my amp rig i just can't seem to get the fullness of full-size humbuckers, even if my Dimarzios have output specs close to big HBs. I've been alternating a lot playing my RG7421 and my Strat, and i've grown to like full-size HB tones.

So i've decided to take the plunge and go HSH but still keep single coil and parallel options especially for neck and bridge.

11. Politics of Ecstasy

May i Suggest
    EMG S/SA/S?

I think they have a drop in kit for strats
    Would that be of interest to you

12. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

Definitely not. Dimarzios and passives all the way duuuude!

odibrom and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  13. Politics of Ecstasy

Ok sorry sorry my bad eassssy
    Just a thought!!! Lol

what about the malmsteen set??

what is your rig as well?

14. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

Yeeeahh i've always wanted another Strat loaded with Dimarzio HS-3s to get the Malmsteen sound.

My rig right now is purely 1-2 analog pedals into software modelers and plugins into headphones or FRFR monitors, ever since i moved into my new place with, shall i say, draconian rules on noise-making. I use Dual Rectifier models most of the time, and Marshall models when i play with my Malmsteen rig (single coil mode, DOD250, mid-gain Marshall)...

15. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

The super distortion would be a great choice for a strat bridge. That would be my choice .

I would stay away from the super 2 in the neck on a guitar like yours. It's designed to have nearly no bass and very high treble, I dont think that'll balance out well. I've used it on very dark neck positioned guitars and it worked great,but on an already bright sounding guitar itll sound terrible

16. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

Cool, another vote for the Super Distortion in the bridge.

17. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

My favorite Dimarzio set is the Evo2/Air Norton as installed in my well modded Eagle with coil tapping for very crystalline clean tones in the middle/tapped position.

[​IMG]

18. Politics of Ecstasy

You [and c7] have great fuckin taste, and I think Lewis does as well (but I gotta get him to try the Carpenter Fluence and draw him to the dark side lol)

Evo2 and tone zone are good bridfges, very versatile but still very hard rock /metal

19. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

It is, another combo that I am also currently use is an X2N and an Evolution bridge.
    X2N/Paf Pro, X2N/Tone Zone, X2N/SuperD(1 or 2) are all combos that have been used to good effect. A great part of an X2N is that the eq is fairly neutral and will pair with decently hot neck pickups, or bridge pickups in the neck slot.

Also if you buy new, you can swap for pretty much any other DMZ within 30 days if in the US.

20. Politics of Ecstasy

That why Dimarzio is always my fail safe go to recommendation; they are the best CS in the business , and they ARE as good as the others you May have seen me mention , but DMZ is an institution

so what are you leaning toward, X2n /air norton??

adrianb and wedge_destroyer like this.