DiMarzio D Sonic vs the Crunchlab

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by soundbase, Aug 1, 2019.

1. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

I found a used DiMarzio D sonic for a good price. How are these pups? Won’t be able to try it before buying. I was looking at a Crunchlab but then this one popped up. I’m thinking of putting it into my Jazzmaster Baritone. Do they handle lower tunings?

2. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

They were intended for lower tunings by design, starting with inception as the "go-to" pickup for Brad Delson from Linkin Park some 18 years ago.

I have one that has floating around in my parts drawer for several years. It was the original install on my Warmoth Bari-Tele before I decided that I wanted a true single coil voicing. Be sparse with adding the low end on your amp and it will be a nice, tight pickup for lower tunings. Got a bit of a mid spike to compensate, but you need a bit of that for clarity & sitting in the mix anyway.

3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I loved the D Sonic when I had one installed in a Les Paul a long time ago. Super chunky but very fast tracking and tight at the same time.

4. remorse is for the dead

remorse is for the dead SS.org Regular

I had one in a seven string. Chunky is what I remember. I preferred it over the Crunchlab.

5. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

Awesome. I’m gonna grab it then. And it’s a cool green one. Hopefully it looks good in my Antigua Burst Jazzmaster.

6. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

If not, you can always paint it to match.

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Crunchlab is just “not great” at lower tunings. Feels flubby.

8. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

What type of paint can you use on the pickup to change the color?

9. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

10. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

Weird cos they sort of market it that it’s for lower tunings. Good to know though

Mathemagician likes this.
  11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

That’s just my opinion, I have one in my JP7 and it’s “acceptable” but doesn’t have the punch or tightness I’d want for a metal pickup. And I leave my 7 in B standard.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire We need ERG Ironbirds

dsonic is an awesome pickup for metal. tight, mean and sounds great for chuggy/fast riffage. Not a very versatile pickup though (illuminator bridge is much more tonally versatile ime).

13. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

Thanks, I'm mainly going to be using it for chubby metal stuff anyway :) So sounds good.

14. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

The Dsonic is a god tier pickup. I even love it in standard tuning. Its a great lead guitar pup. Its like everything in the middle is pushed forward but it doesnt have a mid spike, its more like the middle is a broad plateau if that makes any sense, the bass and treble are chopped at exactly the right points so its neither too dark or too bright.

The versatility comes from coil split. The SC sounds are quite excellent, the bar by itself kinda sounds like a PAF style humbucker.

I've tried almost all the dmz humbuckers, the dsonic is my favorite.

0rimus, KailM and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  15. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I’ve only played the crunchlab in 6 stringers - lowest tuned to B but it was pretty flubby to be honest. I believe petrucci’s whole point was to fill sonic space and it just doesn’t equal tight to me, IMO.

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Also helps he uses Mesa Mark amps, which can be dialed in to be the tightest amps known to man. When he used ONLY Rectos, his tone was pretty bleugh when he tuned down.

But yeah, I've seen the D-Sonic described as a great rhythm pickup, but I had better luck with it as a lead pickup. When I had one, it sounded spot on for Petrucci-style leads, but I couldn't dial it in for my own rhythm tastes since I like a lot of high-mid pick attack.

17. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Yea I know they can be dialed in to be tight (wasn’t the first Periphery album tracked with crunch labs?) but I still don’t care for the lack of attack.

18. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

I like the pup and am about the try it in the neck position with a Dactivator in the bridge. The Dactivator neck is a little thin to me. I expect the DS to be fuller, but I wonder how the mid spike will sound in the neck position.

I wonder how the DS would sound with an A5 or A8 magnet. Maybe I need order some magnets and find out :)

19. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

Which way are you going to face the blade with the D Sonic in the Neck position? You going to have the blade part towards to neck or towards the bridge?

20. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

I'm gonna try both. Blade towards the bridge seems like the way to go, but I'll experiment.