DiMarzio 7 / Custom 7 Specs?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by GigimXul, Aug 15, 2019.

1. GigimXul

GigimXul Member

I've had an Ibanez RG7620 for a while now and while I like the guitar a lot, for my amp and style of playing the pickups aren't quite there for me. I've had a look online and not been able to find a lot of information about the DiMarzio 7 (or Custom 7 as it seems they're also known as) which are currently in there. I was wondering if anyone had access to any specs for them? Or perhaps if anyone is aware of anything similar with a little more grit?

2. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I also have a 7620 and from 98 and from what I was told I think they're similar to Dimarzio Breeds?

3. GigimXul

GigimXul Member

Yeah, I have a '99 7620. It's a great guitar. Typically it seems that The Breed is another pickup with no specs online!

4. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

My mistake, it was the Blaze I think (Breed is 6 only afaik)

5. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

They're not quite the same as blazes. They sound just a touch thinner to me but they are "similar"

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I love this question. :lol:

So, the "New 7s" in the 7620 bear the same N2 and B2 parts number as the custom wound Dimarzios from the RG7CST - 7 Dying Trees was able to confirm that for me when he pulled the stock pickups out of his (I was too afraid of mine to ever remove the pickups, lol - though googling over at Jemsite trying to find the post about what pickups they were based on, it seems I knew this back in the early 2000s as well, odd). They were fine in basswood, if the bridge in particular got a little muddy, but they sounded rather nice and cutting in mahogany, I can confirm.

I know Kevan Geier (the Tremol-no dude, and a CST owner) had talked with Dimarzio about the CST pickups, and I remember the bridge being loosely based on a super distortion. Can't remember the neck at all, though, I'm afraid. Actually, scratch that, found it - Super 2 neck, Super Distortion bridge: https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/tz7-an7-wiring-need-help-23065.html#post278547

aesthyrian likes this.
  7. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Interesting.

I'll need to A/B them with my PAF7s once I get my 7620 repaired

8. GigimXul

GigimXul Member

Thanks for that info, interesting! It makes sense as well as I'm a big fan of Super Distortions.