Digitech drop pedal for periphery?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by vejichan, Feb 3, 2016.

1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

I am in standard e tuning..is it possible?

2. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yup, its is posible. you need to drop tune D and tune down to whatever tuning they use with the pedal. For a quick "fun" I say yes. In reality it would work best for their highest tunnings

for their drop C stuff, you would be fine as its only 2 semi-tones

everything else they play, although you can reach it with the pedal, its too much for it to sound good. everything after 4-5 semi-tones and the pedal would start to sound too "fake" as you would be loosing too much of the high harmonics. Yes, you can play it, but it wont sound as good as lets say having a 7 string and use the pedal for a couple of semitones

4. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Drop d? Tune the e to d and drop tune with pedal? Is the pitch fork better than drop pedal?

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Tuning down all the way to G is doing to be mud city. Down to C (from drop D) will be decent enough, but going down to drop G will kill too much of the high end.

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

the less you use the pedal the better. Using the pedal for 2 semi-tones from D to C, is going to sound better than 4 semi-tones in order to get E to C

but the reason of the drop D, is because Periphery guitars have always the lowest string in drop mode. So you need that (plus the extra down from the pedal) in order to learn their riffs/chords in the way they play it

most of their songs are in drop C (CGCFAD), some songs they would drop the C to A,

for their 7 strings they use drop Ab

and other variants of open tunings. But more cases they stick to drop C on their 6 string

7. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

I tried them both side by side and I found the Drop tune pedal to have a better sound. Either way, anytime you are messing with the main tone and resampling it, there is some artifact. No one notices it during any of my live gigs.

8. MajorTom

MajorTom Supreme Being

I have the Digitech 5th Generation Whammy pedal - the red pedal in this link (Whammy (5th Gen) | DigiTech Guitar Effects), I have it hooked up to one of my pedal boards and into one of my amps, I run two identical amps at the same time and almost two identical peddal boars at the same time, the only difference between my pedal boards is that one of them has a tuner on it - the BOSS TU3, and the other has a Wah Wah pedal and the Digitech 5th Generation Whammy pedal - I run an active volume pedal before my active ABY pedal. As far as I'm aware the Digitech 5th Generation Whammy pedal can go up buy as much as two octaves, but also go down buy as much as two octaves. Even though the Digitech 5th Generation Whammy pedal is cheaper than their newer Whammy DT, it is a much better pedal.

One thing I will say though, is that the Digitech 5th Generation Whammy pedal has two 'main' modes, classic and chord mode, the peddle sounds a lot better and far more natural when used in 'chord' mode, even if you are playing single notes and soloing.

One thing I should not neglect to mention, one of the guitarist who brought pitch shifting pedals back into the spotlight, the lead guitarist from Five Finger Death Punch, uses a BOSS pitch shifter that he had mounted into the body of his personal Gibson Expolorer, but for some reason it is not included in his signature Gibson Explorers that they have realesed.

The short answer to your question is yes, you can even limit the Digitech 5th Generation Whammy pedal to one octave lower, so that you don't accidently go lower than you want to, it does work like a traditional expression pedal after all.

9. madwham

madwham SS.org Regular

@Majortom: Er... unless I missed something, the Whammy 5 doesn't have any droptune feature (only the Whammy DT and the Drop have it).

Back on topic: as others mentioned already, you need to be in drop tuning, it can be drop D or other. And then you use the pedal to droptune as needed. If you need to go too low, the pedal will still do it, but the result may not sound really well. I find it really efficient for -1/2 to -1 1/2, maybe -2, but beyond that it starts to sound a bit weak and weird.

So it may be interesting to find a compromise: me, I have a guitar in drop C#. I chose it because it's the drop tuning I need most often, but it's also convenient because I can reach other drop tunings without "jumping" too far with my Whammy DT (-1 step for drop B, +1/2 for drop D).

And remember one detail: if you're playing at low volume and/or with a clean tone, you'll hear the direct sound from the string *and* the droptuned sound from your amp, it can be a bit distracting. ;)

10. MajorTom

MajorTom Supreme Being

It can actually go down as much as two octaves, as well as 'dive bomb', so since the pedal acts as an expression pedal, setting it up to go down one octave, and putting the pedal down at 50% will lower your sound by half an octace, putting the pedal down 75% will lower your sound by 75% of an octave, and putting the pedal down 25% will lower your sound bt 25%.

I strongly suggest that you give one a try.

11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

aaaand for a cheaper price, easier to use, and a smaller footprint on your pedalboard you can just simply get the Digitech Drop he was actually asking advice for ;)

12. madwham

madwham SS.org Regular

I know, I have a Whammy DT, so I can actually do what you suggest. But it's needlessly awkward, since you have to "aim" for a very specific position of the pedal (where do I put it to have -1,5 step reliably?)

Whereas the droptune feature of the more recent models does it automatically with perfect precision, which is what the OP was asking about.

13. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

Gonna echo everybody's sentiments here - it'd be good if you tuned to Drop D, and then used it to get to Drop C, but not past that. The problem is, as people have touched on here, that it drops the entire signal down in pitch, when really when we tune down all we want is the note itself being played lower. The big issue I've noticed with this is you lose the sharp pick attack you want with djenty playing - again, it's not noticeable with minor tuning adjustments, but if you go down to Drop Ab from Drop D, you'll notice. You'll get a far better sound just having another guitar tuned that low, trust me

14. MajorTom

MajorTom Supreme Being

For the less than $20.00 difference in price, in my view the DigiTech Drop Polyphonic Drop Tune Pedal is a one trick pony, I found it extremel limiting, and in my view rather lacking luster, and only good for one thing really, which is why I recommended the Digitech 5th Generation Whammy pedal, for the extra $20.00 or less that it costs it not only does so much more, but it is not limited to doing one thing and doing it rather poorly in my view.

But each to their own, I can understand those that want the simplicity the DigiTech Drop Polyphonic Drop Tune Pedal has to offer, I just think that there are far better options out there.

15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

the whammy can only go 2nd, 4th, 5th, oct, and double oct(I dnt really see the purpose of it).

this is on the "drop" talk we are. Yes, you can go higher and other stuff, but no relevant to the topic.

so I find it really limiting the Whammy pedal vs the DROP using half steps increments from 1 up to 8 half steps (plus octave, and octv+dry )

so right away I have way more control on the DROP than on the whammy. Im looking to drop the tune of the guitar and leave it, not looking for "sweep" effects, and the limiting the pedal at 50% r so like you said before is way more complicated than just "step" on a little pedal.

yes, it can be a "one trick pony", but again thats the whole point no? to just drop the tuning of the guitar. Whats the other advantage of the whammy vs DROP?, doing sweeps up in pitch?, Ive know of like 3 songs? maybe? who use that on a solo. Dive bombs? maybe, yes, they can be cleaner than using a tremolo.

as for the sound?. Both would have the same components, both are build and were designed in the same era, its just a different functionality. Or you can grab the Whammy DT which is the mix of the two.

Same brand, same hardware, same sound.

but it is worth the extra 20$ for those 2 extra tricks you barely are going to use, the harder to get your drop tune guitar, and the bigger footprint on your board?. For me nop, I much rather pay for my one trick pony (oh wait I already did :D )

see for example, I have an ibanez with tremolo tuned standard E for general playing right. Step on my pedal for 1step, I now can play Gunsn Roses. Most of modern Metallica songs. Change to 2steps, I can play Sad But True, one song of Symphony X. Change to 4 steps, I can play A nightmare to remember of DreamT, Silent Wars of ArchEnemy. Change the pedal again to 5steps. I can play The Mirror of DT or any other general standard 7 string riff. Step again for 7steps, now I can have fun playing the intro riff of Blind of Korn (would sound bad, but I can still play it)

so yup, "one trick pony" indeed. Now try to do that with the whammy 5

they are two different pedals for two different purposes.