Different ways to Harmonize; how do you approach it?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by bartxtrs, Mar 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. bartxtrs

bartxtrs SS.org Regular

Check out my 5 favourite ways to Harmonize:

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Im a fan of 6ths and 3rds myself.

3. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Sometimes it feels like nearly every thread on this forum is promotion for somebody's youtube channel. I always feel a bit disappointed when opening a thread like this because it's like... Is this topic here to start a meaningful discussion or to self-promote? The topic asks a question, but then there's just a video link. If I post something, am I part of a discussion or just helping somebody out with their youtube career?

Since I like harmony I sat down and wrote a bunch about my approach/process but I changed my mind and deleted it.

In case people don't know, there is actually a pinned thread in the general section of this forum for posting youtube videos.

4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Same. I see a question in the thread title, get excited there is an opportunity to discuss it only to find it’s clickbait to promote a video that answers their question when I open it.

Answering the question:
    2nds for a dissonant black/thrash metal sound
    3rds for melodic death harmonies like in flames
    4ths for a Chuck Schuldiner sound
    5ths i don’t use often
    6ths i use when the 3rd isn’t working
    7ths almost never

5. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Same. I’ll look and see what the OPs stats are; if you’ve been here since 2008 and you’ve posted 11 times and they’re all YT vids? Ignore.

Seems like my ignore list is longer than ever lately.

They’re like commercials anymore. I don’t watch tv because I know what I want to buy, I don’t need help. I also don’t need 1300 vids a week across every guitar forum in the English speaking world for the same ‘new best amp evar?!’ by the same 12 guys either.

Hollowway likes this.
  6. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

5ths for Nile/Virvum :D

Seen as there are some comments , I'll say what I was originally going to say before I opened the thread and saw it was a video and left :lol: (I did check the video out now, it was interesting to hear with chord arpeggios like that - was expecting more typical melody instead)
    How about counterpoint? Not necessarily in the strict sense where only some options are permitted for 'best' results, but most of the time these days I don't even pay attention to what the original melody was doing when writing a harmony. I just pick a note that works with the first note and go from there creating contrary motion, some suspensions, filling some melodic gaps to create back and forth rhythmic interest, etc.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Hollowway, Lorcan Ward and BenSolace like this.
  7. BenSolace

BenSolace Divine Solace

This is a great way to utilise 2 guitar players as opposed to something you could achieve with an intelligent harmoniser. Gets one out of a rut from all the burnt out sounding 3rd harmonies that have been done to death for many years now. I think of the intro to Wintersun's "Sons of Winter & Stars" as an example. The melodies kind of play around each other and join together on occasion for that classic, cohesive sound.

Hollowway and Winspear like this.
  8. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

@gnoll yup hella spam central with good topics.

I find it annoying too.

Hollowway likes this.
  9. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Single video threads are indeed getting annoying, specially in the Theory section.

Mods, can we do something about this and just delete/archive threads where there's only a video link in the opening post? The needy "please subscribe and hit like" is getting annoying. Maybe I'm just grumpy.

Hollowway, steinmetzify and budda like this.
  10. bartxtrs

bartxtrs SS.org Regular

Hi guys,

I understand your replies, and I didn't post this to promote my channel. I'm not asking for a like or subscribe, I'm just making videos because that's what most students/guitarists do these days; watching videos to learn, rather than reading. At least that's what I see my students do.

I do like to interact more, because I like the topics on this forum, it's way more in depth than any other metal forum

In my video I show my way of harmonizing arpeggiated chords, and this, together with harmonizing a melody, is still an abstract subject for many learning guitarists.

With this basic explanation, starting from an A minor, I hope to gain more insight in how you can create that overview in harmonizing. A lot of players don't know how to find the right notes, or only know the 3rds, that's why I thought a short vid with some other options would be cool.
    I'm teaching many students from all over the world, it's a topic that I think needs more ways to approach it.

I'll post less vids , & more insights! Rock on dudes