Different Axes for Different Purposes?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Konfyouzd, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

I've had the recording itch like crazy lately.

I never much bought into the idea of having a ton of different instruments for different purposes.

I decided recently that I would only ever keep 7 guitar-like instruments at a time--the number that fits on my biggest stand. I have a shitload of stands I can get rid of if you're in the Seattle area, by the way. Hit me up. (You can straight up have them. I don't care about selling them.)

That said, I have found that with guitars, there just aren't many sounds I need. I have a HSH hardtail 7, a HSH trem'd 7 and a SSS stratocaster. That seems to cover anything I might do on guitar.

Finding a bass to compliment what I do across multiple genres with those 3 instruments seems to be a bit more of a journey.

I could buy devices that let me minimize my bass collection a bit more, but I like having the different tools for different jobs in THAT department.

I have my parts bass that I pieced together from Fender / Squier parts. I ended up putting a bridge cover on it and going permanently muted on that one with flatwounds. It just nails certain sounds when I want that muted P bass sound and I kinda don't want it to do anything else.

I have my 5 string J bass that *can* do anything, but I find myself using it most when I either need the extra range or don't know if I'll need it or not (rather have it and not need it, yea?)

Then I have my Ibanez TMB600 that I converted to passive VVT. That thing is basically a jack of all trades. If any one of the other basses is down, I could shove something under the strings to mute it in a pinch but it just seems to sound like it fits no matter what strings I put on it. Not one of my main squeezes, but it's always there when you need it.

I also have a Player Series Precision bass that I pretty much only bought because I could get it for the same price as a Squier and I REALLY like maple boards and that buttercream color. I'd been stalking Reverb.com for a used one for a LONG time beause I tried out a Player Series P Bass in the store and it didn't feel any nicer than my Squier P Bass to me, but I absolutely had to have that color. Serendipity, yea? I might still put a J Bass neck on it because that's just what I do. :lol:

(I came very very close to pulling the trigger on an American Professional Precision Bass V that was only 950 USD. Someone should really save me from myself there...)

I'm planning to use it as my unmuted version of the first bass I mentioned. (Sometimes you want that muted Motown sound, and sometimes you want the thump without the muted attack.)

What do you use your different instruments for? Do you just like having a choice every day or do they have specific purposes?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Empryrean, Rosal76 and MerlinTKD like this.
  2. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

But.... do you have a bass with a trem bridge???

Matt08642 likes this.
  3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I have an HH Les Paul style. I have an HSS super strat. I have two SSS "strats".

Then I have a nice acoustic, a "don't care if it gets damaged/stolen" acoustic, and one that's good for playing plugged in or on the couch because it's a smaller body. Then I have a nylon string. Then I also have a 4-string bass.

I still have a need for a 12-string though, maybe a mandolin. And a 5-string bass would be nice... And a semi-hollow, maybe with a piezo...and a 12-string electric. And a tele. And a resonator of some sort. Oh, and a guitar set up for slide. And a baritone...

MerlinTKD and Konfyouzd like this.
  4. Konfyouzd

I don't. I think that's the one thing I don't hear in my head when it comes to bass sounds (I did really want one at one point on one of my Ibanez SR basses several yeas ago). But the interplay between guitar and bass is something I get super OCD about I'm somewhat dead set on my guitar tone, but I've found I have to do a bit more working to get the bass to fit sometimes when you're stubborn like me.

I'm pretty much just a guitar player that plays bass. But often I play bass well enough to convince people it's the other way around. I think my year round tan also gives people that impression. :lol:

5. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I try to have a guitar set up and optimized for each tuning I play in but that's about it.
    I'm not a trem guy, so that makes life a lot easier.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  6. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

One guitar per tuning

standard E w/trem - Suhr Modern Carve Top
    standard E or drop D w/o trem - PRS 58
    drop C w/trem - Parker Nitefly Mojo
    B standard/drop A - Jackson COW 7
    drop G (ugh) - Ormsby Hype 7

I miss having more guitars but I trend with playing in one tuning for a long ass time, so everything gets ignored and one guitar gets all my time. Then I forget how great my other guitars are, finally pick one of em up, give it a quick truss rod adjustment and that becomes the only axe I play for the next few months.. altho the Parker has gotten most of my playtime the last couple years cuz it's what I use for the band, it plays like butter, does everything, and sounds killer with the War Pigs in it. Trem flutters on a Parker bridge are sexy

meanwhile I'm so done with tuning mega low the Ormsby sits there lookin all pretty with its Lambo blue paintjob, not getting played at all. If only the fan wasn't so big I'd use it for a lot more

Konfyouzd likes this.
  7. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Technically you don't need a single one of your instruments (unless it's your job of course).
    Might as well go full retard and by all the instruments you like, as long as you can afford it. If you end up not spending any time with it you can still sell it. The only adequate number of instruments is "one more".

8. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I really prefer having a true #1 that just does what I'd like it too. Somehow I have a pile of guitars though. All of which I try to make sound and play exactly the same.

myrtorp and odibrom like this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

I've said this in previous threads, but I deliberately put different pickups and wiring schemes in my guitars so I can justify keeping multiple guitars. The added versatility and huge range of tones I have access to doesn't hurt though.
    The correct number of guitars to own is N+1, where N is however many guitars you own right now. :lol:

10. odibrom

odibrom .

I'm a 7 stringer guy, I have 2 vibrato loaded guitars, both exactly the same (one is for backup), 2 fixed bridge, one is fretless and one 7 string acoustic. They are all HH with custom wiring and ALL have piezos, however, I mainly use the fretted guitars. I do not own any bass for quite some time. I can get almost all kind of tones out from my electrics and I seldom play the fretless and the acoustic.

As far as purpose goes for bass, well, it's up to you to decide how to manage what you keep and what not, but I see you're missing a fretless bass there... and a 6 stringer... and 6 stringer fretless...

@cardinal I'm kind of in the same boat as you, though my guitars do have some differences between them. The trem ones are basically the same except for the pickups, which have a few differences but sound in the same ballpark. The fixed bridge fretted is a super odd ball with about 145 different tone combinations, though many are pretty similar while other are super rad. The fretless is a different oddball, not only because it is fretless, but also because it has a sustainer.

11. Konfyouzd

I did this for a super long time and I've been trying to thin the herd for just my main squeezes and I have so much trouble doing it.

I find that I'm shredder on my trem equipped guitars and I'll still do certain things on my hardtails but I treat them more like an all around axe.

So much more variation in my "rhythm section" instruments for some reason.

My saxophones, I've been playing the same horns forever. They just sound like "me". For some reason I experiment a ton with bass tones.

They can--for my purposes--change so much ab how the other instruments are heard.

12. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

I like having versatile guitars since I'm into so many different genres, but at the same time I'm not really a fan of having guitars with a ton of different complex wiring options and coil splitting and stuff like that. My main guitar is a HSH RG Prestige with a trem that I use for E standard and an old beat up HH hardtail Schecter Omen that I use to mess around with diffferent tunings and the br00tal, downtuned stuff.

I'm not really a fan of owning multiple guitars that fill the same purpose, I'm planning on replacing my Schecter with a nicer hardtail HH guitar for the heavy stuff and replacing my Ibby with a less metal oriented HSH superstrat with a Strat trem since floating trems are more hassle than they're worth for me. The Suhr Modern is the perfect guitar for me but I don't have the cash for that so I have to go for a cheaper knockoff.

I'm also planning on picking up a Tele since the Tele sound isn't really possible to recreate with a HSH, and maybe an SSS guitar since that's a bit easier to do with a HSH guitar. But other than that there's not really much I'm planning on getting except for a bass and 7 string.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  13. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I'm a big proponent of very few purchases, but very high quality, very versatile purchases.

Electric guitar-wise, I just have my RG2228 and Strandberg Prog 7. Hardtail 8-string and floating-bridge 7-string covers everything I need, especially with the Fishmans in both of them. I'm looking at getting two different basses to complement them. I'm really enjoying having both at the moment. Layering the cleans with single coils on both instruments gives such interesting textures I've never really had before.

Anything else would be purely to have fun with alternate tunings. Plus, strings are expensive.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  14. Konfyouzd

That was a big reason I heavily reduced my collection. Just restringing a 6 string bass was pretty expensive sometimes. I had roughly 50 guitars at one point.

15. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

How do you like the COW 7? I have the 6 and tune it to C. I like it a lot but it has a very dark tone to it. I'm assuming because of the mahogany body and neck but who knows?

16. Jason B

Jason B Unbanned

That’s a lot of text to rationalize GAS.

Masoo2 likes this.
  17. Konfyouzd

Okay...

18. MFB

MFB ExBendable

My guitars are pretty different:

Epiphone G400 Les Paul Custom: mahogany body, maple neck, three humbuckers, tuned to E standard.
    Ibanez Talman: alder body, maple neck/fingerboard, single coil at neck and bridge, also E standard awaiting drop down to B.

My SG is my practice guitar as it just plays too damn good to drop tune and have as my main doom machine; so I leave it in standard as my practice guitar and it gets far more use. My Talman has a classic look, and it brings out a weird groove/blues/jaminess when I play, but I then slow them down and pick pieces of that out to turn into actual ideas.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Konfyouzd likes this.
  19. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

I have a 6 string, a 7 string and an 8 string.

The first one is an Epiphone SG, the second is a 7 String Les Paul Classic (Epiphone as well) and the third is an Ibanez RG8.

Pretty versatile.

I would like a strat as well someday and I would really love to have a Variax at some point.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  20. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

I have different basses for different jobs:

Pedulla MVP: jazz fusion, prog, funk, pop
    Yamaha Attitude LTD II: jazz fusion, prog, funk, pop
    Warwick Thumb 5: jazz fusion, prog, funk, pop
    Raro TM6: jazz fusion, prog, gunk, pop

Oh wait...

odibrom likes this.