Difference between PRS Mike Mushok and 277

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by soundbase, Sep 29, 2019.

1. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

are there any big differences between the PRS Mike Mushok model that was discontinued compared to the 277? I’ve got the Ibanez MMM1 and would love to have a PRS Mike Mushok to add to my Baritone collection. But was wondering if the Mike Mushok model just became the 277 when they discontinued it.

2. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

The Mushok model and the 277 model both have the same long scale, body woods, and hardware. The 277 has a maple cap included on it and some different finishes and newer pickups. What I've also heard was that the neck on the 277s are thinner than on the Mushok (which was quite chunky but comfy). In the end it's all preference.

PRS_Baritone_Vito likes this.
  3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I'd love to try the semihollow P90 version

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Maple beveled top on the 277, vs the flat top and eboner board on the Mushok

5. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

Sounds like maybe the 277 is a good way to go over the MM. and easier to get hold of.

And yeah the semi hole P90 looks great. I’ve even seen some videos with it with some heavy gain and sounds pretty good.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire chasing the tone dragon

mushok has an ebony fretboard, flat top and no inlays/no maple top. The mushok pickups are quite beefy/warm sounding, whereas I don't remember the 277 having as thick sounding of pickups. The Mushok also has a much bigger chunkier neck.
    Mushoks are hard to find for a reasonable price anymore. I'd say just grab a 277.

7. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

The limited Macassar ebony version with tort binding was so nice! Only sold in Europe and not worth the CITES hassle for me, though you might be able to find one in the UK...

8. PRS_Baritone_Vito

PRS_Baritone_Vito SS.org Regular

The 277 was based pretty much entirely off the Mushok PRS as far as the design and look go. It has the same awesome plate style bridge that the Mushok had. It has the 27.7" scale length(which is perfect). The main differences are the 277 has a rosewood fretboard with inlays and a maple top instead of an ebony fretboard with no inlays and no top wood. The neck is a little bit thinner than the Mushok version. I think the pickups on the Mushok are way better than the 277 pickups.

I also have a Mushok Ibanez MMM-1 which was the first baritone guitar I ever bought. I love it. You should definitely get the PRS Mushok if you can. I think you'll be really happy with it. I had two of them before they got lost with connecting flights during a tour. I absolutely loved them. I had a silverburst and a tobacco burst. The silverburst was my main guitar and the pickups in it were great. I ended up buying a 2018 PRS SE 277 when the airlines sent me a check for the lost guitars. That has become my main guitar now.

If you can't get your hands on a Mushok PRS then definitely get the 277. I really want to get the semi-hollow P-90 version as well.

9. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

The neck being thinner on the 277 vs. the Mushok may be down to individual guitars; my 277 feels exactly like my friend's Mushok.

The only functional differences I've been able to find are the stock pickups (irrelevant, since I changed the bridge pup in my 277 to a BW anyways), the carved-top vs. flat-top, and the fingerboard (which is debatable as far as whether it's "functional", but let's go with it -- I get lost above fret 12 on guitars without inlays).

10. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

If you can find a silverburst Mushok, obviously silverburst.

11. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

Yeah they pretty rare. Seems easier to find an Ibanez MMM1 here than the PRS Mushok models. Holding thumbs one shows up. There was one guy that had one, but after awhile he decided not to sell it, dammit!

12. PRS_Baritone_Vito

PRS_Baritone_Vito SS.org Regular

True dat.

Dineley likes this.