Diezel VHX knows when its been profiled

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MetalDaze, Jul 7, 2020.

1. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/diezels-new-vhx-head-knows-when-its-been-profiled

Interesting. I wonder how big a problem this is as far as people buying amps, profiling them, and returning them.

I know it has been mentioned before, but I think it would be better for traditional amp companies to offer their own high quality models and profiles for sale in addition to their physical amps.

The early days of digital music proved that most people are willing to pay if there's an easy way for them to do it.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

Interesting.
    I don't think the people that are generally dropping 4-5K usd on an amp are doing so solely to profile them. There are some bigger paid profile makers out there that probably do that kind of stuff but that's like maybe 5 guys.

3. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

4. KnightBrolaire

2001 was a documentary

5. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I do wonder how many people that will stop, though. Buying/profiling/returning is free*.

Then again, the rise of easlly-accessible legal digital downloads of music for relatively low cost did indeed drastically reduce piracy...

MetalDaze likes this.
  6. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Said it elsewhere, no interest in buying an amp that attempts to monitor or restrict what I do with it, especially one with an artificial $2k markup in the US. Fortunately an all in one amp like this isn't appealing to me to begin with. It's cool, but I'd rather have VH4 or a Herbert if I was going for a Diezel.

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

guess people should just buy it and trace it instead.
    back in my day we had to walk up hill both ways to school.

8. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

A couple of friends have VHXs on the way, so I'm looking forward to trying. Not the amp for me unless it had a digital loop in and out, or if it came as VHXS or just the preamp. Peter Stapfler comes from Eventides and Leo seems to know what he's doing, so I imagine the effects will be good, just wasted without stereo.

Heard about this a while ago, wasn't expecting people to be pleased about it. I think their issue is they aren't pleased with Kemper shoving the liability for the "IP theft" onto their consumers instead of taking responsibility. Like how in the video game industry home brew people say they aren't making tools for piracy when they get shut down, that it's just a side effect.

9. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

Never would I ever buy this kind of junk. I am already opposed to the idea of too much tech in an amp like this because they tend to out date themselves very quickly as technology progresses and they bloat the prices they add for these features too much. I also believe that once I own a product it is mine to do what I want with it, so I do not agree with the idea of monitoring and/or controlling what I do with it in anyway for any reason. I couldn't care less why they are doing it, never will I own an amp that monitors or attempts to control me.

broj15 and c7spheres like this.
  10. spudmunkey

May I interest you in a wide-awake nightmare?
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/0...ice-bmw-wants-to-sell-car-features-on-demand/

Wolfhorsky and budda like this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

the amp DOES NOT prevent profiling, it merely keeps track of the fact that it has been profiled. Still not cool in my book, but I'm not in the target audience for this amp anyways. I'd kill a man for Lil Fokker though.

c7spheres, StevenC and spudmunkey like this.
  12. spudmunkey

An interesting point. It does raise some red flags, though. At what point will there be some firmware patch that's meant to add features, but will also limit profiling to 3 times, or something...so that when you want to buy one used, you have to ask to see how many "profilling sessions" are left on it. I assume there's no wi-fi on it, so it's not like it could update automatically over-the-air, so you *could* just not update, but then not get the new features.

What a bizarre fucking world, where you can charge your skateboards through your sofa, your refrigerator can play Doom/Skyrim/(whatever other meme games there are...Snake, maybe?), you can subscribe to automatic shipments of genital-area shaver replacements parts, you may be carrying around hundreds of lbs of equipment built intoa car that you can't use unless you pay extra, and now there's a clear path to needing to subscribe to your physical amp.

13. LeftOurEyes

In all fairness according to the article they did not claim what the feature was used for, simply that it logs your profiling and will not prevent it. As mentioned in the article is could potentially be made to HELP people profile, or it could prevent it. The thing with stuff like this is it can be changed or updated later as situations change. They could decided to push a software update that does prevent profiling at a later date. I would not want to own an amp that gets updates like a computer that I have no control over.

14. KnightBrolaire

yeah but nothing says you have to update the software... It's not like Apple OS where they'll basically brick a piece of hardware to force you to upgrade.

15. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i don't like things tracking me

- actually said in 2020 on the internet typed from a device literally tracking everything said person does all day and night.

16. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

Instead of speculating, people could read Leo's posts on TGP.
    But a Lil' Fokker. It's low key the best one and I wish I hadn't traded mine.

17. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Clear path to subscribe for your physical amp to protect supposed IP that miraculously no legal system actually considers to be IP because there is no actual unique technological innovation or application in any of these amps.

budda likes this.
  18. LeftOurEyes

haha you are naive. Yes they COULD do this later. Do I think they will, no. But they COULD do this yes. This is also the beginning of this type of tech, windows didn't used to force updates but they do now. Over time if people accept this tech it will be common place eventually and its not for me in the amp world at least.

Uh I'm referring to my guitar gear monitoring me, not every device in the universe. I may accept some tracking, but if I don't enjoy it why would I want all of my devices to do it, especially ones that I have absolutely no need for them to and to pay extra for the feature of it?

sirbuh likes this.
  19. stratjacket

stratjacket Lost in a loop

I thought it blocked profiling, but in reading the article it says it only logs that it happened. There should be an option to disable logging or any feature, but I could see where that could be useful information in future amp design by knowing what settings people used and what they liked most about your amp with consent.

20. spudmunkey

indeed. Lots of technology/software asks you if you agree for the computer, or what have you, to send anonymized useage data to help them in their R&D. It shouldn't default to 'yes', but that's probably one bridge too far for most companies.