Diezel Hagen, anyone own one?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DiezelMonster, Sep 3, 2019.

1. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Complainasaurus Rex

Hello gear folk

For some strange reason I have a churning and all encompassing desire to buy a Diezel amp again and I'd like to get my hands on one, has anyone had experience here? Or currently own one? What are your results and what cabinet do you use with it? I've seen MANY people say yhe G12-K100 speaker works best with it but I've bot had the best experience with that speaker. Anyhow fill me in!

2. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

The Hagen is more loose and fat sounding with plenty of mids. I totally love it, sounds beastly with an Engl 4x12 V60 cab.

DiezelMonster likes this.
  3. DiezelMonster

So assuming from your comment, you own one? other than what you already stated, do you have any issues with it or things you wish were different about the tone?

Thanks!

4. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

A good friend of mine owns one and I have used it several times, I'm now definitely planning to purchase one for myself where as before I was set on the Herbert. At first I was under the assumption that it would be a more vintage voiced amp so I dismissed it entirely and I didn't have any interest in it whatsoever, until I got to play it in person and I was quite overwhelmed by how good it actually sounded, definitely not vintage voiced but it certainly has its own unique voicing that I like a lot. It's again one of these cases where listening to clips online tells you nothing about what the amp sounds like when you play through it yourself. I'm less into super tight and low end shy tones and more into slightly loose and fat sounding tones and I like going into amps directly without having to use a tube screamer to prevent it from sounding muddy, and this amp totally delivers on that. I also used it boosted with a Fortin 33 and it can certainly also deliver very tight tones if wanted.

I feel it's maybe a bit more organic and dynamic sounding than the other Diezel amps and I really like how it sounds for metal playing. The controls are a bit confusing at first due to the layout, but they are super easy to use and work in an expected manner, so dialing in tones is quite easy. I preferred channel 3 for rhythm playing as channel 4 has incredible amounts of gain and thickness which were a bit too much for my rhythm sounds, I think this one works out better for lead sounds. This is also what I like at the same time, you get 4 great sounding channels and you can dial in a range of sounds to cover all needs so that you never have to fiddle with the controls again. Generally I'm not a fan of KT77 poweramp tubes but they work really well in this amp, still when I order mine I'll have them switched out for 6L6 power amp tubes right away. Hope this helps, that thing is a lot of fun to play.

5. Lucien Yorg

Lucien Yorg Lucien Yorg

Yo, I own one! Diezel hagen. For me it's my favourite amp ever. Just has a thing if it's own. For cleans and dirty 7 string gain it is a badass. More refined than a mesa. They say like a modded marshall, but what they mean is it's like a JCM800 with a screamer. Like the VH4. In my opinion the hagen can sound almost identical to the VH4, but the hagen can do sounds the VH4 cannot. These extra sounds are not so commonly used by most, but for low tuned very detailed juns it is the best. There are people who complain about recording it, but I could bet money they havnt tried more than one way of doing it before coming to that conclusion about it. There are many ways to record amps. I use 2 mics, 2 world class pres, and work a lot to get rid of the phase issues. Check out Lannon chameleon on youtube, or lannon black and hollow ( mid section) this is my amp the way we recorded it.

BearOnGuitar and DiezelMonster like this.
  6. DiezelMonster

Hey everybody, while I'm trying to wade my way through the apocalypse here I figured I'd revive this. Anyone have a Hagen here other than the person that has chimed in?

also if you have seen a good deal on one let me know!

Cheers.

7. Lucien Yorg

Lucien Yorg Lucien Yorg

hey sorry for the late reply. Yea i own one, amazing amp, wouldnt really change anything about it, thinking of selling it on but want to keep it so bad, just a lot of monies worth to have it here and not gig. have the matching 2x12 aswell. You will hear many recordings of it but none of them do it justice in my opinion. its very tight, more modern sounding than the vh4, but then again can sound identical when dialed in right.

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’ve been snacking so much I read the thread title as Haagen Daz. I thought we were going to be talking about ice cream. That is all.

DiezelMonster and budda like this.
  9. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

SSO tangent activated.

What's your flavour? I'm a sucker for anything chocolate.

Beheroth and Mathemagician like this.
  10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Cookies & Cream and Mint chocolate chip for SURE. I’m not one to be gonzo for toppings. If I can’t get either of those I’m usually quite happy with just a classic chocolate or even vanilla.

“Sometimes it’s just about sitting there and just enjoying some ice cream on a nice day.” - Wayne Gretzky - Michael Scott

DiezelMonster and budda like this.
  11. DiezelMonster

12. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I miss some of the flavours that were available in Japan. Macha ice cream...mmm...

Mathemagician likes this.
  13. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Ha I was just looking up videos of the Hagen yesterday. I had a Herbert, which I thought was really killer for all things metal, but I've always been interested in what the Hagen was like.

14. DiezelMonster

That's the same boat I am in. I had a Herbert in 2005 and had it for a few years and sold it but have always been a huge Diezel fan and I've really wanted a Hagen.

I'll watch more youtube vids!