Diezel: D-Moll or VH2?

TheInvisibleHand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've owned both the VH2 and D-moll. Literally just sold the D-moll last week. Vastly preferred the VH2. Both the clean and lead channel just felt and sounded better for "modern" types of playing.

narojo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you want to go Diezel for the sounds you're looking for I would go with the Herbert. I liked the Mk. I significantly more than the the Mk.II, but the Mk. II was from Guitar Center and showed up broken.

If you're considering any other brands I would say a Mesa Mark or KSR. If you can deal with just an ok clean channel then the newer ENGL Savage would also work.
I actually looked into an ENGL savage a while back, they do sound pretty sick, but when compared side by side, I preferred the Diezel. I saw one for sale out in Milwaukee last fall, but I've not since seen one for sale.

narojo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I need to make a new gear post, but the Hagen arrived yesterday. No clue how anyone could hate on these amps. Instant wow factor - all I did was adjust the volume knobs and plugged in, it was already on channel 3 and super brootal man! I've tinkered most on channel 1 so far, but also quite a bit on 3, and a bit on 2. I feel like I will save 4 for last. Feedback for days, even on the cleans, super easy to dial in all kinds of tones, the Fishmans are super clear through it of course. I also played my Les Paul through it in Drop C! I will post a new gear post once I am a little bit more dialed in and have played it more.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
I need to make a new gear post, but the Hagen arrived yesterday. No clue how anyone could hate on these amps. Instant wow factor - all I did was adjust the volume knobs and plugged in, it was already on channel 3 and super brootal man! I've tinkered most on channel 1 so far, but also quite a bit on 3, and a bit on 2. I feel like I will save 4 for last. Feedback for days, even on the cleans, super easy to dial in all kinds of tones, the Fishmans are super clear through it of course. I also played my Les Paul through it in Drop C! I will post a new gear post once I am a little bit more dialed in and have played it more.

Glad for you man. Had the same experience with a Herbert when I got it. Ended my amp search forever, Diezels are brutal as fuck and built to last.

Can’t wait for the NAD post, chuck up some clips if you can!

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You guys need to stfu about Diezels.

Those are the only amps it could be argued I have any GAS for at all these days. I’d almost certainly get a VH2 if anything but…I’m shooting for not buying anything. So again…stfu.

narojo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Those are the only amps it could be argued I have any GAS for at all these days. I’d almost certainly get a VH2 if anything but…I’m shooting for not buying anything. So again…stfu.
Look at the VH2 on Reverb. I almost bought that one. *nudge*

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
OK, let's set this up straight: Any amp released after 1989 is still marketed as "modern", despite being 30 years old.

The Diezels are not modern-sounding amps by today's standards. They were for 90-00's standards, where people wanted lots of gain, scooped tones, and tuned to B at most. They are not tight sounding at all. They are kinda like the european Mesa. Big and huge sounding, and very compressed.

The reason so many US folks get dissappointed by them is that they expect them to be a ultimate boutique 5150s or something due to such pricetags and "modern tone" promises. Import taxes add like 2k in price to them, and they certainly don't sound like a 5150.

Just because it was manufactured in 89 doesn't mean the sound was popularized by anyone mainstream. I'd say no one popularized the Diezel tone until well into the 2000s. Tool maybe earlier? So if we are talking about "modern sounding", I'd say records popularized 10-20 years ago qualify.

Considering the Savage came out in 93 and is still considered a modern amp, I dunno what to say to a different interpretation.

I actually looked into an ENGL savage a while back, they do sound pretty sick, but when compared side by side, I preferred the Diezel. I saw one for sale out in Milwaukee last fall, but I've not since seen one for sale.

I've played a VH4, Herbert, and own a Hagen. I would take a Savage over any of them if I could only keep one. I can't comment which one sounds better miced up. I would definitely suspect the build quality and Diezel customer service blows Engl out of the water.

I don't hate it. My feeling on the Hagen after several years is about the same as a Pitbull. If you like the voicing and want that sound, it is very good. But I can understand why the voicing on either of them is polarizing. I always go back to Engl or a boosted Mesa.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score

Uh, don't you have an Axe Fx? Just make a patch, problem solved.

narojo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've not played an Axe FX, but I've played through a Kemper, a Helix, and a couple other things, and also some of my preamps and VSTs, also my Revv G20. All nice products. Nothing touches the real deal. These amps do magical things.

I found my love for the Diezel sound personally through a VST clone that I didn't know was a Diezel clone. Once I made the connection, I knew I needed one. I basically landed on Gallien Krueger on bass the same way, a bit earlier.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
I need to make a new gear post, but the Hagen arrived yesterday. ... I will post a new gear post once I am a little bit more dialed in and have played it more.
Sorry should have mentioned this last time...

IME, the way to make it tight on channel 3 is to be very careful with the bass and deep knobs. Everything else is pretty solid at noon. IIRC, the deep knob is "zero" at 9:00, not noon. It sacrifices some of the brootalz but makes it less bouncy/flubby, which is the main complaint I remember hearing about the Hagen before I picked one up.

Gain around 1:00-2:00
Volume about 1:00
Treble about 12:00-1:00
Mids about 1:00-2:00, also sounds good scooping around 10:00
Bass about 10:00
Presence about 2:00
Deep never higher than 10:00

This is through a Diezel front loaded 4x12

narojo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What do you guys think about for mic selection to record? Vintage 30 and SM57? lol

I'm going to have to try "Compensated output". Seriously looking into a Columbus switch. Just super blown away after reading the manual.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score

Dude I can’t believe with all the stuff you have you don’t have one by now.

Grab a Herbert. It’s 180w of fuckin straight brutal mayhem, sick soaring leads and the best clean channel I’ve ever heard on a high gainer, and it’s fun as hell to play.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Exactly. I have an FM9 but close enough. I can spin up the Herbie model or the VH4 model and just run that into one of the heads’ fx loops. Or even two in stereo.

(Kicks himself in the ass) “Less buying, more playing!”

“Got it. Thank you self.”

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
What do you guys think about for mic selection to record? Vintage 30 and SM57? lol

I'm going to have to try "Compensated output". Seriously looking into a Columbus switch. Just super blown away after reading the manual.
The Columbus is overpriced trash. Get a real controller like a MC8 or something. You'll realise the value of not buying a Columbus if you ever want to use any other MIDI device.

Also, just as a reminder, the compensated out doesn't have a load on it so you will still need to plug into a cab or other load device. A cab into a mic will likely sound much better.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score

You can buy a better midi controller for far cheaper.

Morningstar, Airstep, Nektar if you want more control. You could also look at the Ground Control if you really want to dump so much on a foot switch. The cheap decent option is the Behringer FCB

If you just want program changes, literally anything like $100 works fine.
The Columbus is overpriced trash. Get a real controller like a MC8 or something. You'll realise the value of not buying a Columbus if you ever want to use any other MIDI device.

Also, just as a reminder, the compensated out doesn't have a load on it so you will still need to plug into a cab or other load device. A cab into a mic will likely sound much better.
Totally agree that the Columbus and many other controllers are overpriced.