Did you attend the 2017 NAMM Show? What gear blew you away?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Zombie13, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

2. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

I did.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Equilibrium FT7. Everything I hate in a guitar and yet inexplicably I adored that guitar.

[​IMG]

I was also pretty impressed with the API Legacy AXS console. Felt nice, had a lot of improvements I was hoping for from the Legacy Plus.

Strandy had some nice enough stuff. Enthused with the far superior pickup choices and the trem on the Boden Prog felt very good.

Ormsby stuff was good, though I wasn't blown away by it. Neck profile wasn't for me.

Aristides we already know are nice as hell. Felt a little stiff for my tastes though.

Didn't love the Revv stuff. A bit too dry, a little stiff feeling.

3. Kidneythief

Kidneythief SS.org Regular

I didn't attend (hahh what surprise...), but followed every possible media reporting of it :D

I don't know if this is the right topic for it, but I noticed, that for 2017 a lot of companies are doing headless stuff... Mayones etc. New trend I'm missing out on?

4. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

Agree with the Revv stuff, but looked nice!

Tons of headless gear, everywhere.

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

That Somnium stuff looks interesting. Odd that they're doing standard scale 6 string stuff. Seems they'd have more early adopters if they went after the early adopters - aka ERG players. I can't imagine too many dad-rockers giving up their fender to get one of those.

6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I wish I went this year, it looked like a great year for new products and artists doing demos.

7. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

yeah, seemed like a good one for sure!

8. WishIwasfinnish

WishIwasfinnish SS.org Regular

I went - and it was a great year indeed. First time going in about 6 years, and not that much has changed on the outside, but there's clearly a different level of innovation happening today and that's good to see.

Guitars I loved:

Aristedes - first time I got to actually play one and I fell in love. Like, omg, they're insanely great. I played the 080S mainly and I want one now.

Strandberg - got to play one in a music store for a while about a month ago, and all the new models just reinforced my view of them as an innovative and great guitar company. I preordered a 2017 "original" model which has the new Fishman pickups in it.

Tech:

Fishman midi guitar system - Fishman made this: http://www.fishman.com/products/series/tripleplay/
    And it works great. I can't wait to get one and make tabbing a whole lot easier. You have to play it to see how well it works.

Roli - I already knew about Roli's Seaboard (and if you dont, you should check it out) and had the chance to play one before. This thing is so expressive and amazing. One of the demos that Roli did I got to see and it blew me away. A guy played a bonafide guitar solo on it and it sounded real.
    It was this dude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNXJQDXryQc
    But that is an old performance.

9. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Has anyone gotten good photos of that acoustic Ironbird at the BCR booth? Man I'd love to see/hear more of that!

10. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

How the heck do all you guys get in to NAMM? I've wanted to go for a long time, but it's industry only as far as I know?

11. Erockomania

Erockomania Studio Geek

That FT7 was best in show for me. Unreal guitar.

12. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

It is, but music shops will be given a certain number of passes, which they can then give out to people they want to bring with them. Most of the guys I know who've gone were asked by a store owner to come with them because having a competent (and usually versatile) player at your side can help with demoing the gear. I think this is the most common way for amateurs/semi-professionals to get in--extra tickets, basically.

I've never gone myself, and there are some music store owners on this site (e.g. Zimbloth) who'd be able to give you a better idea of the inner workings of NAMM. But yeah, my understanding is that it's basically tagalongs, unless of course you're a professional artist that belongs there in your own right.

13. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

i am the only one that feels a little underwhelmed by this year's namm? i don't think there was anything that made me go "woah".
    granted, i wasn't there, so maybe theres more coverage still coming, but still.

14. shellbound

shellbound SS.org Regular

I'm very interested in this. Are they coming out with next version of hardware this year? Looking around, it seems the current model came out about 3 years ago or so.

I'm ready to pull the trigger, but wondering if I should wait a bit if something better is right around the corner.

15. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

The main thing that I was stoked for was the DSI Rev2, but I'll agree with fork in that it didn't blow me away like the OB-6 did last year.

16. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin'

There was a lot of cool stuff on display. I didn't see anything mindblowing from the big names, except for maybe the Slate VRS. But I did get the opportunity to try out a lot of really rare and expensive guitars.

It wasn't my first time playing Sully or Ormsby guitars, but they were killer. I was especially glad to try out the Goliath and Futura models. Definitely GASing for those. Sully's Raven model has a much bigger body than I'm used to, but it was really comfortable. And the Stardust really blew away my expectations. Sully makes some dayum fine guitars.

Aristides is heavier than I expected, but exceptionally smooth and well built instruments. The fit and finish was impressive. Also, it's pronounced "ah-riss-tee-deez" for those (like me) who weren't sure how to say the name.

Finally got to try the Strandberg Endurneck. That was really neat. It would take some getting used to, but it was unique and comfortable.

Caparison was out of this world. The action was stupid low and not a hint of buzz anywhere on either of the guitars I tried. Incredible instruments. I wish they had more distribution in the US.

The Titan guitar line by Kauer Guitars was surprisingly good. I don't care much for the aesthetics of them, but I played this guitar with a lap steel pickup in the bridge and it was un-freaking-believable. Played great and had incredible tone. I'm seriously entertaining that idea.

I also played Tosin's new Ibanez prototype and was really impressed with the ergonomics. The neck was flat as board on the back, but the body was so thin and perfectly contoured that it was really awesome to play. Sadly, I didn't get to plug it in to try out the new Fishman pickups in it.

I also tried out the Quatsi from Mayones. It was every bit as awesome as you'd think. The Hannes bridge was super comfortable, the neck was nice and thin without getting flat, so it was a joy to play on.

Also, a lot of the dudes I talked to were raving about the Mooer pedals. Tiny little chinese pedals that everyone expected to be crap, but they were all blown away by the tone.

One of the absolute coolest things I came across was the Sensel Morph pad. It's basically a USB control/device surface with different magnetic overlay panels to change the functionality. You can use it as a midi controller, or a video game controller, or an art tablet, etc... The MIDI controller overlay really impressed me. The tactile response was really nice, and it felt super solid. I hate when I'm doing drums on a keyboard controller and the thing is bouncing or wiggling around on my desk from the impact of my fingers. Check it out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1152958674/the-sensel-morph-interaction-evolved

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  17. WishIwasfinnish

I think what may have changed, if this is indeed the same technology as before, is that they partnered with Eastwest for their software instruments that can be used with this thing. You can use it with any VST I believe but I guess the Eastwest stuff is good at recognizing bends and things specific to guitar.

18. WishIwasfinnish

That thing is awesome, didn't even hear about it, the capabilities seem endless.

19. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I was supposed to be there this year, but life happened.
    Oh well.

I haven't been watching much of the YT coverage, maybe because I'm a bit upset that I'm not there.

The J Rockett pedal demo from Mick & Dan (That Pedal Show/Anderton's) was pretty impressive. Especially the dirt pedals with the built in 6-band EQ's.

20. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Honestly the stuff that's got me the most excited this year is actually in the drum department, which is a first. In the e-drum arena too, so even more surprising.

The Alesis Strike-Pro kit looks like its going to be AMAZING value, the module doesn't seem to be anything special but certainly looks capable. The hardware on this thing will be a killer deal even if the classic Alesis durability issues remain, which I can't imagine being the case given how much R&D has gone into developing the Strike-Pro.

Then there's the Mimic Pro module coming from Pearl that looks AWESOME. Check out some of the demo footage from the show, it really seems like it's going to be the unquestioned top dog of this generation of drum modules. First module I've seen to actually 100% nail the cymbals, really has me excited to finally see some forward momentum in e-drums again. Price looks like it's going to be really steep though, which isn't really to say the value isn't there, just looks like it's going to be Axe-FX syndrome. Very high barrier of entry.

Can't even start to tell you guys how glad I am to finally see people starting to really challenge Roland, they've had a practical monopoly ($8,000 for a kit lol) on this corner of the market for far too long. Might be enough to finally get me into seriously playing e-drums.