Did The Jackson Custom Shop Botch My Order?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ThomasUV777, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

I've a custom shop too and after 2 years of waiting, the retailer tell that the guitar have some finish problems and send picture.
    So he send it back to Jackson to a complete refinish and 3 month later, the guitar came to my house with the same scratch but polished and a bump on the pointy part of the headstock... I was super pissed at this time ! But the retailer was great and ask to Jackson for a partial refund...
    And a thing I see a lot on the unfinished neck, the Jackson logo let air pass thru the finish it and made a bubble. I put some clear tape alongside and the bubble stop growing but f***, for this price, I was really disapointed...
    And the bubble problem appear realy often ! I've try 10+ Jackson USA with unfinished neck since I got my CS and only one of them don't have this problem...

As far as I love Jackson, this is a hearthbraker for me

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

This is some pics 10 minutes after I take it out of the case for the first time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We can clearly see the poor finish of the headstock alongside the biding + the crack...

3. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR SS.org Regular

@Korneo This is very sad to see :O Was this recent? What provider/dealer did you use to handle custom shop order? I'm really put off by this horror stories.

4. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

I got it in 2015 and work with Matt's Music back when I was in the US.
    Matt and his crew was flawless and really help with everything about it. I can't thanks him enough

5. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Somebody from Jackson/FMIC leadership needs to see this thread.

Wildebeest likes this.
  6. Seventhwave

Seventhwave SS.org Regular

Right now? LOL - they've been hit or miss for 30+ years in my experience.

Really sucks this happened. Good on the dealer for taking care of you. Hope they get it right.

mbardu likes this.
  7. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

That sucks. I guess we are seeing more examples of f-ups because we have the internet and social networks now compared to 1989.

zappatton2 likes this.
  8. Possessed

Possessed SS.org Regular

Congrats!!
    However, there is one problem about rebuild. Your dream guitar is no more unique, since the one with issues will also be available for sale. Op doesn't have this concern because he ordered the same spec. But some customers do. Normally they will have to change specs for the rebuild to avoid this problem despite the original spec is their favorite.

9. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

No idea what is going on with Fender/Jackson, but Stephen Stern and the guys in the Gretsch Custom Shop are the best anywhere... and just upstairs from everyone else if I remember correctly. Weird.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's really interesting how separate they keep everything, especially since most of it is under one roof.

If you ever get the chance to tour Corona, do it. It's insane. (For what it's worth, they're usually happy to give tours if you buy something CS, regardless of brand.)

AkiraSpectrum and ArtDecade like this.
  11. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I can't tell much on the body pic, but the headstock stuff looks like impact damage from being banged around in shipping not finish flaws

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Or dinged before being shipped. It wouldn't be the first time.

Korneo likes this.
  13. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

The top of the headstock don't touch anything on the G&G Case so it's not during the shipping unfortunately.

14. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

One more pic of this problem in an other thread.. We can see it's an unfinished neck too.
    Jackson really have a finishing problem...

15. ThomasUV777

ThomasUV777 SS.org Regular

Precisely. If this had been an extremely unique build (planning on getting me one if this one turns out good), I would've probably asked the dealer for their highest discount on the faulty one just to get it off the market. Although that would be rewarding bad behaviour in a way.

Dealer update: expected delivery is september/october 2020. I'd be very surprised if Jackson can respect that date, but part of me still wants to believe in good customer service from such a big company. As someone previously stated: all guitar brands can make mistakes on their end, to me their quality is defined in how they handle those mistakes.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  16. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

The quality of the top is questionable for sure, but trans black is one of those finishes that look way different in different lighting. I wouldn’t really be happy with that too for Jackson CS money either.

17. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

While I understand the idea of wanting something unique, there should be no expectation of exclusivity. Anyone that sees it could decide to order an identical one.

Heck, most of my custom orders were based on guitars I’ve seen posted elsewhere.

mastapimp likes this.
  18. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

How the hell did that get past QC? It almost looks like they cut the logo out after they finished it, which is not how they used to do it...

Masoo2 likes this.
  19. Fenceclimber

Fenceclimber I love Ibanez

I don't think it left the shop like that, some Jacksons tend to develop that problem over time. Not making exuses for the other examples in this thread though. :)

20. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

That's usually indicative of other production issues which falls back on them though.

Shipping damage is usually more catastrophic than some clear cracking when something has the weight and impact to reach a guitar in a hardshell. Other case is those generic cases where people ship a guitar with minimal to no interior packing material.