Did The Jackson Custom Shop Botch My Order?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ThomasUV777, Jan 16, 2020 at 4:50 AM.

1. ThomasUV777

ThomasUV777 SS.org Regular

Couple of years ago, I had purchased a Jackson USA custom shop from an online retailer. As I'm a sucker for green guitars with maple fretboards, I bought it practically instantly:

[​IMG]

Hot top am I right? Quality was also superb in every way. Fantastic setup. Totally sold on the Jackson Custom Shop guitars, so I decided to get another Dinky, but go the totally opposite way. Black flame maple top and Ebony fretboard. Looking for ideas, I came across the Andertons video ft. a Jackson Custom shop they had once commissioned. It was perfect and exactly what I was looking for:

[​IMG]

I filled in the custom shop sheet, copied the specs exactly, gave this picture and a bunch of others of this specific guitar to the retailer asking them to commission a near-exact copy of this guitar. Retailer said they would ask Jackson to copy it as close as possible.

Fast forward a year and a half, and this guitar arrived:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's what I'm not very satisfied about:

• The flame maple top: For the money that I paid, they could've used a higher grain top. This is arguably not a high quality top. I paid a lot less for the green one, which has a better quality top. Does not resemble the one used in the Andertons Jackson at all. I'm well aware that you can't exactly copy a flame maple top, but a higher grain would've been nice and more in line with the example.

• The colouring: while this transparant black does resemble some other transparant black Jackson custom shop guitars, it does not really resemble the one from the example I have provided. I would've assumed that a brand like Jackson would be able to respect the kind of transparant black as displayed in the example. It also has a kind of burst-quality across the body and headstock, something I really didn't want (and didn't request either).
    There's a no-return policy on custom orders, so 9 chances out of 10 I'll have to take it and learn to live with it. I was under the assumption that all Jackson custom shops were given a great flame maple top (like the green one and the black one from Andertons) and that they would've respected the colouring a bit more. Especially when I specifically asked for it. I have sent a mail to the retailer stating my concerns on the guitar but I have yet to hear from them.

Curious to hear what your thoughts are on this. Does this fall within reason to complain or not?

mlp187 likes this.
  2. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

One thing to bear in mind is that sometimes the pro shop photos aren't too indicative of what the resulting finish would be. I ordered a Hartung before once and I used one of his previous guitars as a reference. As it was getting close to completion I was like, dude, this doesn't look like the color at all. He wound up showing me other photos of the guitar I used as a reference and was like, it's the exact same finish. So, (a) fine, technically correct, but (b) if all I had was access to one photo of a guitar I use as a reference, just make it look like the photo, and not what the finish actually looks like unbeknownst to me. I think you might be in the same situation -- that looks like the trans-black I see on a majority of Jackson CS. That Anderton's one is definitely the exception to the rule IMO. Does it look like that in the video?

So like you, I was not happy, and I complained, but had to suck it up and take the guitar.

And yea, that top is pretty pathetic for CS. I've seen similar, but I don't hold Jackson CS in particularly high regard.

Velokki, Strobe, Masoo2 and 5 others like this.
  3. gunch

gunch chungus

1. Retailers edit their photos
    2. The Andertons example has thin burst edges too

I’ll give you that the top isn’t great, especially in the bass cutaway area.

Velokki, efiltsohg and ThomasUV777 like this.
  4. ThomasUV777

I get what you're saying and it was an initial concern of mine as well (lighting and pro-shots influencing the colour). However, the top in the video and on the pictures are very similar (starts at 1:28):

When I was googling for colour ideas, half of the Jackson Custom Shop transparant black's look like the one from Andertons and the other half look like mine. But that's exactly the reason why I included the pictures with the order.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 5:12 AM
  5. ThomasUV777

1. Yep, but as posted above, the colour in the video and on the pictures are extremely similar. Not saying the video doesn't have some kind of colour manipulation done to it (it probably has).
    2. Significantly thinner in my opinion.

6. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Yea man, I agree. The one in the video is killer and I understand exactly why you set out to recreate it. I would complain -- you gave them the image for reference, they're obviously capable of producing it, what more could you have done to get the guitar the way you wanted?

Masoo2 and ThomasUV777 like this.
  7. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I would voice a complaint, pointing to the differences. Based on that video and your pics, that does not look to me like the same finish.

Non-returnable doesn't mean that they can completely screw up and you're stuck with it. It just means that you can't suddenly decide that you don't want the guitar you ordered. Problem here is: is that the guitar you ordered?

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

What exactly does your invoice say? It should list all the relevant specs as well as any "off menu" options. Did you reach out to Anderton's to see if they have a copy of their build sheets to compare it to?

The regular price list doesn't specify top grade. If you want a top of a particular quality you (or your dealer) needs to specify on the build sheet/invoice.

It kind of seems like the retailer might not have as much experience ordering from Jackson and might have botched some of the details.

9. ThomasUV777

I recall when filling in the custom shop form, you could only select what kind of top (flame, quilt etc.). You could not specify the quality of the top. I don't know whether or not the retailer has a say in the quality of the top.

Invoice says:

And this is what the retailer stated when I provided them with all the pictures + video of Andertons:

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I wonder if that's just not an option with Custom Select vs. Masterbuilt.

I know you used to be able to select your top, but that was years before the Select stuff.

Have you reached out to the dealer?

ThomasUV777 likes this.
  11. ThomasUV777

I have, but no reply yet. Will post their response here.

12. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Reminds me of when I paid extra for a heavily flamed roasted maple neck and I got a dud from Warmoth with almost no flame. The argument became, well, who determines just what heavily flamed actually means.

But in your case, you sent them an exemplar which the finished product does not resemble IMO. I'd see how far you get, but I'd fight like hell until I got a final no for an answer. Maybe the worst that happens is you get some money back.

ThomasUV777 likes this.
  13. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

the top one looks like it has the 3-step stain or whatever it is Carvin used to have as a feature, making the grain pop like that. $5 says if you did that to your guitar, it would look much more like the one in the photo. That's only thing I can think of.

Curious to hear what the dealer says.

c7spheres and ThomasUV777 like this.
  14. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Can't you return that thing along with a copy of the original order? Where are you located?

ThomasUV777 likes this.
  15. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I know people who’ve rejected CS builds from Jackson 2 or 3 times over the color. I suppose the specifics in which under which it was ordered could be a factor, but I’ve never heard of Jackson insisting someone accept a guitar they “messed up” the specs on.

ThomasUV777 likes this.
  16. ThomasUV777

Located in Belgium, dealer is from Germany. I should mention that I in fact have not received the guitar yet nor have I paid the remaining amount yet. I have only paid the advance (which was already a fair amount).

Dealer responded:

I'm already glad that the dealer doesn't give me a big sales talk about how the top is just fine. And I can come to terms about the colour being off a tad. The low quality maple top (or the staining not really popping as suggested by @budda ) I find more difficult to live with. As @USMarine75 said, I have provided what I would like to receive as a finished product and it is just too far off to justifiy its cost (which was €3900 btw, so around $4300). I find that amount too high to just go "Fine, I'll just take it I guess. But you ain't seein' me here again!"

Keep you posted.

17. ThomasUV777

Interesting. Will request this to my dealer.

18. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Well thankfully it's not a Kiesel..

Really hope they take care of you, OP. Def agree that for that kinda scratch, it should be closer to your expectations.

V_man, budda and ThomasUV777 like this.
  19. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I don't have experience ordering a custom shop guitar, but I'd instantly reject it if I saw that top. The finish difference is something I could live with, even if it is a bit plain for my tastes, but that is definitely not a high quality top that I'd expect from a custom shop order. There's next to no figuring near the top horn or near the bridge on the top of the body.

On the bright side, the figuring on the headstock is nice...

Velokki, Viginez and ThomasUV777 like this.
  20. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

The finish is up for debate IMO (that photo obviously has the contrast cranked, and who knows what the color correction on those videos is like) but the top is definitely a bummer. If you don't mind the wait I'd absolutely try and get a replacement.

Velokki and ThomasUV777 like this.