Did my first pedal mods!! Next..... THE WORLD!

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ive wanted to get into pedal building/modding since.. Well..... Since the internet lol. Guess nows the time!
I got myself a couple boss DS1s to start messing with since its so well documented etc. Figure ill keep one stock to have something to compare to.

First i clipped and removed the R17 diode, the simplest (& solderless) mod ever. Gives it WAY more volume output and more mids, sounds great!!

Then i decided to go for the octave fuzz mod, you just solder a wire to two points on the back of the circuit board (can add a switch to turn it on or off but i was sticking to simple due to my lack of supplies)
This is the point where i found out my crappy 2nd hand soldering iron doesn't work lol. Determined i came up with a totally ghetto plan, ill use electrical tape to attach the wire lol. Did that then rolled up some more tape to create a sort of pad to place over top of the spot so that when i put the cover back on itd press against the pad which would help hold the tape and wire.
BOOM it worked!! And it sounds pretty awesome!! Unfortunately by the time you raise the gain enough to get fuzzy its already self oscillating so its only really useful for noise/total freakout moments lol. Just needs to be gated to clamp down the signal when not playing.

Anyway these pathetic mods weren't really worth sharing but im just excited 😊
mymods (20220814091431)~2.jpg

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You could add 2 switches, one for each mod... bam, 4 different options...
Yup, thats the plan. I need to buy all the materials and a new soldering iron though. Not sure ill keep the fuzz mod though due to the self ocillation. But i def want to trick this thing out with a ton of mods!

Last edited:

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get into pedal mods as well. So far I've only changed a few knobs though. I haven't gotten brave enough to start cutting off circuit parts yet.