Dialing in the Metal Zone in front of amp? Immortal/Dimmu tone

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
This thread title is awful :lol: I couldn’t think of how to summarize what I’m trying to do.

Anyway, I know Peter Tagtgren worked on both of these albums, and they’ve been somewhat of a holy grail tone for me since I was a teenager. The problem is, I have no clue how to go about achieving something similar. It’s super obvious that a Metal Zone is being used. Both albums have that buzzy, throaty midrange and highs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Clips:

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I don’t know for sure what would have been on those albums but as I recall Peter is a big JCM900 fan. Or at least he was. The problem there being that the upper midrange and high end would imo be hard to say which it was coming from, the metalzone or the 900.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
I don’t know for sure what would have been on those albums but as I recall Peter is a big JCM900 fan. Or at least he was. The problem there being that the upper midrange and high end would imo be hard to say which it was coming from, the metalzone or the 900.
I would not have guessed JCM, but now that you mention it, I can see it. There’s this weird “washiness” to the tone that would make sense with that amp. I was thinking some kind of Recto model, but I was having trouble attributing those qualities to these tones. I’ll have to experiment with the 900 model in the Helix.

Would you think some type of Marshall cab would work best for this as well? It sounds more like one to me than a Mesa or some other oversize cab.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I would not have guessed JCM, but now that you mention it, I can see it. There’s this weird “washiness” to the tone that would make sense with that amp. I was thinking some kind of Recto model, but I was having trouble attributing those qualities to these tones. I’ll have to experiment with the 900 model in the Helix.

Would you think some type of Marshall cab would work best for this as well? It sounds more like one to me than a Mesa or some other oversize cab.
Well I don’t know for sure, but I would think that Marshall cabs would’ve been more common in Sweden at the time. My guess would be something with v30’s or greenbacks.

penguin_316

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My band used to use these in front of tube amps and always got alot of compliments (yes 20 years ago lol). Just roughly off memory, start with all the dials around 1pm and see what you get. There was some finer tuning for the concentric knobs but I don't recall them off the top of my head. The main thing is not to get too wild with them as they are able to go to extremes.

penguin_316

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
We both played baritones and did the metal zone thing, it sounded like a poor man's VHT I'd say...dry tight, alot of high mids/high end and easy harmonics. I think we used to have the low band at like 9 or 10 o'clock now that I think about it. Everything else around 1oclock.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
We both played baritones and did the metal zone thing, it sounded like a poor man's VHT I'd say...dry tight, alot of high mids/high end and easy harmonics. I think we used to have the low band at like 9 or 10 o'clock now that I think about it. Everything else around 1oclock.
Awesome! Thanks for chiming in. Do you have any recordings where this setup was used? Just out of curiosity.

penguin_316

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yea let me find those old CDs or mp3s, I'll be right with you.

Then again probably not...but you are making me want ti get one again haha.
:)

SndyAneap

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Better ask Peter about Cabs and mics he used. this is key for his tones. And plz without this "bla bla sansamp" stuff.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
So I was able to whip something usable up entirely within the Helix. It's not perfect, but I wouldn't expect it to be without using an actual MT2. I'm just using the patch to jam along to these albums anyway. I doubt I'll ever record with it.

Metalzone in front: Drive 0, Level ~4 o'clock, Treble and Bass ~noon, Mids I'm boosting between 400-550Hz depending on the guitar and pickups. Hovering just around 2-3 o'clock.

Marshall JCM 2204: just a little overdriven since I'm using the MT2 for all of the drive, with typical EQ settings.

For the IR I used one of Mendel's. I think this was an Orange, but I'm not too sure. I'll have to double check.

Obviously this isn't likely very accurate at all, but it sounds good :shrug: