Diagnosed with Tendonitis and maybe Carpal Tunnel- Any Advice?

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with tendonitis about three weeks ago, and my wrists are starting to get some pain as well. It seems to be worse during nights after I work (I stock a lot of shelves in Wal Mart) I have been wearing a pair of support gloves that help a lot, but is there any advice anyone can give me to help deal with it and get my hands better, I want to be able to play more guitar!

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I go through bouts of tendonitis too.

What you can do on your own; make with the ice packs, and take some anti-inflamm's like ibuprofen.

I recently had horrible tendonitis in my shoulder and my dr. gave me some anti-inflamm cream to put directly on the area,(sorry I don't remember what it was called) After a couple weeks with the cream, and regular icing it's doing pretty well.

Good luck.

Bigredjm15

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anti-inflammatory and rest, theres no quick cure to tendonitis. But after a few bouts with it you are more likely to have reoccurances, so warm up properly, and stretch. As far as the carpal tunnel, theres only so much you can do without surgery in the long run. I would just take care of things now by stretching and anti-inflammatory (Ibuprofen). As far as topicals, you can use topical anti-inflammatory drugs like cortisone or capsaicin (I wouldn't recommend capsaicin personally). If pain presists you can get RX strength Voltaren gel, which is another anti-inflammatory. Hope this helps and rest up so you can rock out!

troyguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Stay off the computer as much as possible. I first got it when I was playing computer games for 8+ hours a day and have been mostly fine since I quit doing that.

Xiphos68

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Rest. That is the main thing to do, which is what I didn't do, and suffered because of it.

You might want to ask your doctor about work as well, maybe you should stay out for a week or so (if that's even possible)?

Bigredjm15

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Agreed with both above. Common solution to computer based carpal is one of those arm rest things, and proper seating, I'm sure if you google it you'll find plenty of pictures or diagrams of height/angles and such. It does make a big difference.

UCBmetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Make sure you warm up very slowly on guitar: that sure helped me.

Also start powerlifting. I'm serious.

The lifting thing is no joke. I couldn't play for 3-4 years due to cubital/carpal tunnel combo, and within 6 months after starting lifitng I was able to manage the pain and start making music again.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
I had carpal tunnel for about 4 years.

I worked on my form. It made things a bit better. I started doing exercises that involved a ton of grip strength, and I have little to no pain now.

And you don't need to specifically power lift: You can rock climb, do gymnastics--anything that involves grip strength. I do gymnastics and parkour. Between the two, doing planches and other exercises, holding my body off the ground vertically or doing tons of pull ups and such, I get all the grip strength work I need.

XeoFLCL

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, another person with similar issues, though mine may not actually be be tendonitis persay, as much as muscle spasms and tendon weaking due to extended steroid treatment (Thanks pancolitis and GI doctors who think prescribing prednisone for a whole fucking year is an amazing idea... ugh).. still similar in a sense.

What I've started doing is, this week actually thanks to outside advice, was dumbbell curls. I've heard alot of good about this and I'm really hoping this will turn it around and as others have recommended, give endurance exercises a try definitely! If you're already hurting like hell, you've really got nothing to lose right? That's how I'm feeling at least :)