DI with Seymour Duncan Invader is clipping?

Ansuz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am trying to record some black metal tracks , is the first time to do by myself , please keep in mind this , and i think i have some issues with my DI track...
was used to play this guitar at rehearsal room with real amplifier and the sound seemed pretty good for my "experience" , but i never evaluate the sound of DI for this guitar , after months to tweak with ampsim , eq and so on.., without satisfaction about tone and sound in general , i have take a look for some DI reference...and i was really confused , because the sound from my own seems very crappy to me, compared to others DI available on the web.

I will be very glad if can you give me a feedback about my guitar DI track because i am not able to understand if this is the normal DI sound or there other issues... My chains is:

Ibanzez GIO with SH8 invader at bridge -->Presonus Audiobox22 vsl-->Reaper DAW 48Khz 24Bit

gain from the interface at 9 , no clip signal on the led!

Here the DI
DI Track
1663809415702.png

Thanks a lot for everyone could help me to work on my project,

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Bookmarked to see if other people can offer recommendations since this is something I will experience sometimes. Generally speaking turning down the gain helps me quite a bit.

Ansuz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bookmarked to see if other people can offer recommendations since this is something I will experience sometimes. Generally speaking turning down the gain helps me quite a bit.
Did you have listen the DI ?

turning down the gain i get signal in the DAW with less than -24Db during hard picking in tremolo or chug , i have less of 15% of gain on the presonus actually.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
set the gain on the interface just high enough so the peak of your hard strums don´t clip.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Among all the interfaces I've used (Behringer, MOTU and now Audient) I've kept the DI gain at 0.

Might be because I use hotter pickups on my guitars - DiMarzio D-activators, EMG and Fluence Modern specifically. The only exception would be when I DI passive bass guitar. For bass I crank DI gain to ~25%.

Last edited:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
set the gain on the interface just high enough so the peak of your hard strums don´t clip.
If he's using a Focusrite, there is a good chance it'll still clip even at lowest gain, happened to me with my 2i2.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If he's using a Focusrite, there is a good chance it'll still clip even at lowest gain, happened to me with my 2i2.
he wrote in his post he uses a Presonus Audiobox22.

SilentStrummer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My Audiobox usb 96 clips hard with my EMG 81. That’s with the gain all the way down. The Audiobox22 looks to be the same interface. I just turned my volume down to act as a poor man’s attenuator. I’ve seen complaints on these units (the usb 96) clipping with hot pickups. I plan to replace at some point with an audio interface that can handle instrument or line level inputs and that should solve the issue.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My Audiobox usb 96 clips hard with my EMG 81. That’s with the gain all the way down. The Audiobox22 looks to be the same interface. I just turned my volume down to act as a poor man’s attenuator. I’ve seen complaints on these units (the usb 96) clipping with hot pickups. I plan to replace at some point with an audio interface that can handle instrument or line level inputs and that should solve the issue.
I wouldn't count on an audio interface input. Yes, they are fine and probably enough for a home studio setup but instead look into a good DI box to plug into your inteface. You will get your moneys worth in the long run. Radial makes some quality stuff for example. A good quality DI box (skip the 20€ steaming hot caca) will outlast a nuclear blast and will be a handy tool for recording your guitar in all kinds of situations.

I can plug my EMG's into the ID14 instrument input and get acceptable input level peaks, Fishman Moderns on the other hand I have to run through my Radial ProDI with -15dB pad enabled. I'm almost certain that I have wired my EMG's wrong, but that's not the point here anyway..

Mad bastard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am trying to record some black metal tracks , is the first time to do by myself , please keep in mind this , and i think i have some issues with my DI track...
was used to play this guitar at rehearsal room with real amplifier and the sound seemed pretty good for my "experience" , but i never evaluate the sound of DI for this guitar , after months to tweak with ampsim , eq and so on.., without satisfaction about tone and sound in general , i have take a look for some DI reference...and i was really confused , because the sound from my own seems very crappy to me, compared to others DI available on the web.

I will be very glad if can you give me a feedback about my guitar DI track because i am not able to understand if this is the normal DI sound or there other issues... My chains is:

Ibanzez GIO with SH8 invader at bridge -->Presonus Audiobox22 vsl-->Reaper DAW 48Khz 24Bit

gain from the interface at 9 , no clip signal on the led!

Here the DI
DI Track
View attachment 114713

Thanks a lot for everyone could help me to work on my project,
Fret buzz? Or pick up too high! Pick up clip when the string hit a cylindrical magnet.

Last edited:

Ansuz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have made 3-4 different test with input gain knob in different positions , from 0 to 40% that is the limit where the clipping is signaled by the led , and then compared the same riff adjusting the gain of the tracks on the daw , i come back that the sound is more brilliant and without strange pop noise with the gain knob at 0 as some of you have already suggested.

Regarding the pick up set up , i have make also test in this sense , because my impression that was like the guitar has lost the note sustain expecially on strumming or single power chords hit , so i tuned also pick up height , but for my small knowledge , the weird sound was more related to the interface gain , i was completely fooled by the manuals and try at every cost to have a signal staying around 10db with 6db peak without clipping on the led , than listen how effectively the sound was.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted out. A small clip here and there is not the end of the world, of course.
After all it comes down to what sounds good to your ears.

chasinglows

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Speaking of cleans that’s another story but imo for distortion don’t sweat it if you clip it a little.

If you have a short cable a good DI box plus tried different pickup heights and it still doesn’t sound good try another guitar pup.