DI track through tube amp as second guitarist

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by MaxSwagger, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

I wasn't going to bring it up, but after listening to the song in the Youtube link, not having the lead at all over the chorus would instantly be a huge improvement to the song (vocal chorus melody + riff + solo is waaaaay too much stuff going on at once), so having to simplify your arrangement here because you're down a member really is a blessing in disguise.

Hollowway likes this.
  2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I vote don't do it. I say unless you have to have backing tracks cause you're doing different parts, then don't just fill it out with more cabs or amps or something. You can do a slight delay (like 20ms) and EQ slightly different (like really slightly) on one side to make it appear as a bigger image. All my favorite band never did this, even the 1 guitar player bands. I just don't see it as being needed unless doing different parts that are essential to the song (like that 808 kick : ).

3. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Periphery uses entirely pre-recorded bass tracks

Devin Townsend uses absolutely tons of pre-recorded tracks of choirs, strings etc

Steel Panther uses recorded guitar tracks, and it sounds great. Usually they're doing some rhythm backing tracks while Satchel does leads, or something the backing track has a harmony lead track, but a bit quieter

XPT707FX likes this.
  4. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

I would suggest playing to a metronome when doing stuff like that.
    You will end up in a huge mess if you use pre-recorded guitar tracks but neglect making sure you're in the right tempo.

And yes...you will need a DI-box (if this question hasn't been answered before).

5. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

How good is your drummer at playing to click tracks, he will have to for any song that uses backing tracks so it is at the right time and the right tempo. How are you going to trigger them? I think the norm for the "big bands" is that the click starts and gives the drummer a 4 (or ___) count at the beginning of the song and away you go, not much room for error, and the backing track will start at the right place whether the band is there or not. It takes a lot of practice to work with them, not something that can just be thrown together for a show "right around the corner". A drummer friend of mine used a DrumKat to trigger special effects on a major pop tour, but for something like rhythm backing tracks, I think you will have to commit to a full song track.

6. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Simply have the bass player step up and fill the sound. Worked for Black Sabbath.

7. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

A lot of folks in this thread are comparing OPs band to absolutely massive acts that use backing tracks and play to a click to keep everything in time and that's completely impractical for the band in question.

Unless OP is playing venues where everything is run through the PA and they preferably have their own FOH engineer who knows their music, all those comparisons are worthless.

The best option for keeping everything real and thus less complex, is to loop some parts live and play your leads over them. This takes a bit of practice and a good rhythm section. An extra head and cab might fill out the sound more but you'll never pull off a backing track played into another amp live without making your performance miserable to get through because you have to keep rigidly to a click. That's a sacrifice huge bands make because their show requires it and they have over-produced music with many unperformable elements.

Every band I have ever seen at the small/mid level that has tried to use backing tracks has sounded more amateur than if they had just cut the extra parts and ripped the songs as hard as possible otherwise. Its always better to keep everything in the moment so you can react to the crowd, play faster, feel pauses naturally, etc...

XPT707FX and Cynicanal like this.
  8. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

TL;DR - with proper preparation there's no reason a 4-pc band with a second guitar on a line-out and the drummer on a click can't sound just as "live" as a 5pc band. Unless you need a band to be slightly sloppy for it to be enjoyable, I guess.

If you're running everything on individual lines, its no different than having another guitarist or a keyboardist in any of the logistics involved.

watching a band live-loop, unless they're building from the ground up, is 99% of the time a disaster without a click from both a performance AND audience perspective. I'm really sorry that you have to play with and see so many bands that either don't practice or don't know how to use their gear. If you spend a little bit of time watching local/regional/mid-level touring bands, you'd probably see that MOST of them are running either tracks, a click for the drummer for lights, a second guitar line, samples, ETC, the good ones just do it so it integrates into the show and you don't think about it.

9. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Maybe in some genres but I completely disagree on 'MOST' bands using backing tracks and having a drummer play to a click. Between mixing bands and touring for the last couple decades I have almost never seen small bands play to a click, or use backing tracks without sounding worse because the PA support or gear couldn't pull it off. If you look exclusively at djent and music that is based on 100 layers and only a few band members then you might see more backing tracks but in regular metal, grind, hardcore, etc... backing tracks are very rare.

10. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Despite being a "limp wristed" nancy boy id use a parallel crunchy OD on bass during the solos so the clean unaltered tones comes through AS WELL AS the gainy crunch tone!

c7spheres likes this.
  11. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I'd definitely lean sending a pre-recorded guitar track FOH if you're gonna that route. That is, if the band is already playing to a click and using backing tracks. If not I'd say leave the leads out or let the bass fill it.

FWIW, when I was the only guitarist I would just skip unnecessary leads and play the rhythm parts. If I did play a lead, our bass player had a huge sound so it didn't matter. And if you're gonna go the 4 piece route, your bass player should have a huge sound because they'll have a lot room to work with.

We'd run samples, subs, and ambient stuff through the backing tracks. But for us we loved playing to a click. It kept everything super tight and I never felt like I was cheating by dragging in a technical section. Our drummer liked the click so much he'd play to it even if we couldn't get the backing track working.

12. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

13. MaxSwagger

MaxSwagger SS.org Regular

In short, great.

We ended up going with DI amp/cab on the other side and it worked flawlessly. The place was packed with fans from our previous project and no one could tell a difference and most prefer the new direction in music to boot. A couple songs were filmed from the sound booth and if I had any complaints it’s that I was too loud, louder than the whole band. Damn amp just cuts almost too well at times. I can try to get the vids from my bassist if anyone cares. Since this project isn’t as serious as the last one and we don’t plan on playing out too often this really is the best option for us. I’m happy it worked out, and thank you all for the feedback.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  14. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

I would like to see it. Tag me if you get ir