DI guitar and free vs paid VST’s for useable recording tone

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by dhgrind, Oct 1, 2019.

1. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

Current set up
    Scarlett Solo 3rd gen
    Ableton live & reaper (depending)
    VST’s in use: Lepou engl and ignite emissary, NadIR, ts808, power amp sim, room reverb in ableton, dotted 8th delay in ableton.
    Monitors: JBl 305’s and Grado labs SR80 headphones

Uses: solo recording artist & 1 person live performance.

VST’s or Suites I’m looking for:
    Amp sims, recommended IR’s, EQ, Reverb & Delay and modulation junk.

Goal: achieve useable recorded and live sound for Death metal and Grindcore that sound similar to Insect Warfare, Gatecreeper, Vitriol, Disentomb etc etc

also interested in tutorials & videos that cover how to properly set up EQ and effects to get a believable tone. Already using Nick Hills helix videos as a reference for baseline since those usually need a bit of work to make them sound decent.

2. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I am partial to the STL Will Putney and the Neural Archetype Nolly as far as paid plugins are concerned.

For Free: STL's Ignite/Emissary plugin is quite impressive. Works nicely for cleans as well as high gain, pretty versatile.

3. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

Neural DSP makes the best stuff IMO. I've tried just about every VST amp sim out there. Mercurial is good too. For death metal and grindcore I'd go with the Nameless Suite. The cab section is good too so you shouldn't need any third party IRs with it. It doesn't have any reverb or delay though. If you want a suite that has delay, reverb, and modulation then the Mercurial stuff is good. I own Reaxis and it's great.

4. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Did you try Nick Crow? His 6505 and variants is really good.

Kalthallen free IRs - try these, they kick a**

Paid - Kazrog IMO did really good on hi gain stuff, don't know why he discontinued teh Thermionik range. From what I hear he's building new one:
    https://kazrog.com/pages/discontinued-products

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Can't speak to your specific genres, but I dabbled with the LePou stuff a bit just for kicks, and I thought their Lecto got fairly surprisingly close to an actual Recto at similar settings, with a good IR. Certainly good enough that in a pinch I could use it in a mix without fear.

6. Dans

Dans Dans_EpitomƎ

If you like options and want something all-in-one, try Amplitude or Bias FX.
    If you something simple but killer sounding, can't go wrong with STL Tones, Neural DSP, or Mercuriall.
    Lepou and Ignite Amps got the best freebies, and you can still find some great free IRs on the net like Sperimental Pack to pair with those.