DI Box vs FM3

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve been using Neural DSP plugins lately, and while the tones are definitely useable, i am thinking about trying to improve my tone by either using the FM3, or a DI box for one of my amps.

Has anyone tried both? If so, what were your findings? Thanks!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Well DI box limits you to your amps. FM3 opens up the possibilities.

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well DI box limits you to your amps. FM3 opens up the possibilities.
That’s a great point. I think at this time I’m more interested in achieving the best recorded tone i possibly can. If there isn’t much of a difference between the FM3 and a high quality DI box, I’d probably just go the FM3 route.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
You can always just capture the DI before the amp, straight from the guitar. That'll mean you can run it through literally any amp (whether model or physical).

Don't get me wrong, FM3 is a badass piece of kit, but if you are just thinking about recording the tones that come out the end of it you will have less options to fiddle after the fact.

Although... Doesn't an FM3 let you record the guitar DI and the output tone at the same time?

4Eyes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a hard time to understand your question as it discusses plugins, amps and two devices for completely different scenarios, one more suitable for the task, than the other.

Do you find DI (instrument) input on your audio interface lacking in some way? is it noisy? it doesn't have enough headroom for your guitars with hot pickups? What feature(s) are you looking to get with high quality DI? just split the signal, so you can track clean DI and play with your amp at the same time?

as for FM3, it's no doubt great device for what it is, with lot's of awesome features, I just doubt getting it for sake of "better" DI is the smartest idea. it's probably the same/similar quality as what you already have built in your audio interface. but if you're looking to get more amp models/effects, go for it.

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a hard time to understand your question as it discusses plugins, amps and two devices for completely different scenarios, one more suitable for the task, than the other.

Do you find DI (instrument) input on your audio interface lacking in some way? is it noisy? it doesn't have enough headroom for your guitars with hot pickups? What feature(s) are you looking to get with high quality DI? just split the signal, so you can track clean DI and play with your amp at the same time?

as for FM3, it's no doubt great device for what it is, with lot's of awesome features, I just doubt getting it for sake of "better" DI is the smartest idea. it's probably the same/similar quality as what you already have built in your audio interface. but if you're looking to get more amp models/effects, go for it.
I’m referring to a reactive load DI box so I can record directly out of my tube amps.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I’m referring to a reactive load DI box so I can record directly out of my tube amps.

Given how much a good reactive load box costs, I wouldn't buy one unless you are 100% committed to using physical amps. Even then, I would still recommend that you record DI from the guitar and then re-amp it in post, rather than recording "live" guitar through the amp.

And, honestly, I would kinda say the same about the FM3. It is a tasty piece of kit, and I think any guitarist would get a lot of use out of one, but it is still an expensive purchase if you are just looking for a slightly better recorded tone.

I genuinely don't think that either approach will give you any specific improvements over the Neural DSP ones. I certainly don't think that there will be enough of a difference that you couldn't get the same results by getting more in depth with the Neural DSP ones and/or learning more about the audio engineering side of guitar tone. You probably already have almost all of the tools you need; it's just a matter of learning how to work with parametric EQs and compressors and such.