Dexter Season Five

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by cyberwaste6996, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

It's delightful that he wanted that, but it's not sensible. This season was heavy- and perhaps heavier than other seasons I think- on sub-plots, and it's more than a tad noticeable that really only one of them has been resolved. I could understand the writers wanting to have things carry over (even some tension between Dexter and Quinn- at least!) into next season, but hearing about a "clean slate" seems to make even that less likely.

2. sk3ks1s

sk3ks1s Djeff

What channel is that on?

3. Mr Violence

Mr Violence SS.org Regular

I just watched Season 1 Episode 1. It's so different. There was a quirky dark humor VERY present in the beginning and a lot of cinematography aspects that were left behind. Dexter was cold and calculating and always in control. He killed 2 people in the first episode alone!

I'm going to watch season 1 and remember how well done it used to be.

4. Jogeta

Jogeta SS.org Regular

I can't help but feel that things would have been more entertaining if
    they had made Dexter a "bad guy" this season instead of the anti-hero he has been for the past however many years.

He is a serial killing psychopath and it would be good to be reminded of that fact occasionally, especially seeing as we've had four consecutive seasons dealing with his emotions (the first season kind of stands apart as his main relationship arc with Rita was more about maintaining cover).

Either way he should not have been a friendly neighborhood vigilante for hire! That idea seemed weak and far fetched from the first time Lumen appeared!

Personally, if I was writing the last episode I would have had Dexter pin Liddys murder on Quinn.
    He doesn't like him and has been looking for a way to get him off his back for a while now. The chance to do just that was offered to him on a plate and he chose not to.
    Forgive me if I am wrong here, but Dexter is meant to be intelligent right?
    It wouldn't have been against "the code".... but it would have been so very very dirty (and that is exactly what I want to see!)
    Why not take the easy route when the chance is there?!
    Come on dude - the guy is banging your sister hahaha!

Anyway... I would have had him kill Lumen after she decided to leave. I'm fairly sure that she fits the code now that she is a killer.
    It would have been some real justice to make up for her acting, which I consider to be a crime worse than murder or rape :') [ed - clearly a joke, so please don't be offended!]
    A serial killer who's primary rule is to "not get caught" would not let such a serious potential compromise out of his sight just because he thinks she is pretty. I know that I don't!

The fact that they fell in love would just have made that particular kill all the more delicious!

In general I find myself of the opinion that Dexter, as a series, could be strengthened considerably if he started doing things and making decisions that were morally "grey" instead of being written for as a "good guy". Just stuff that we might not all agree with, like his choice of victim and the way he deals with interpersonal discourse.

I want to see him do some really underhanded shit that the boy scouts among us wouldn't agree with, and I want him to do them despite his feelings/emotions and any moral high-ground issues!
    I want to be scared of him while respecting him.
    I want to look up to him while being appalled by him.
    I want him to hate himself and feel like he is on the outside looking in again!

I'm tired of watching him on the verge of messing up! That has been done now. Can we move on please writing staff?

I hope Season Six turns out to be horrible and dark and makes Dexter back into a killer on par or better than the greats!

5. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

i've noticed their departure from the whole stylistic identity they carved out in the first couple seasons too. it's becoming more and more straight-forward, less harsh subjects, less grittyness and dark comedy and funny remarks and comments, less interesting cinematography... less everything, really. it feels less focused and solid now. Also, why less Mazuka? i love that guy! more perverted jokes please!

the scale of things just keeps topping up and up, and i think they'll eventually bite themselves in the ass with that. it started off as this one killer, then it just kept getting bigger and bigger. the scale of the plot was HUGE in this season, which might explain why they struggled to keep it together. there were so many parts and pieces to keep together! The guys they need to kill keep getting more and more risky targets too. This time they took down a fucking celebrity millionaire and his whole bunch of accomplices!

they need a more direct and engaging killer this time. a single silent and deadly killer, almost ninja-like in his ways, ingenious and cold. or something. the Ice Truck Killer was fucking brilliant, and Trinity was amazing. we need more like that!

Mr Violence likes this.
  6. orb451

orb451 Banned

Nailed it. :agreed: This is basically becoming like Weeds. Seems like they once had a direction for that show and it just turned into tangent after tangent, especially this past season. This past season of Dexter has pretty much started on that path as well.

There's no overall arc that ties it all together, it's more like a hodge-podge of ideas that they had kicking around that might have gone somewhere if they were coherent. Instead they kind of slapped them together and hoped they'd stick.

Sidenote, it is still cool to see all the surrounding areas where I live on this show. I'd say 90% of it is shot either on sound stages or right here in Long Beach. There's a place nearby called Naples and Belmont Shore, they're as close scenery-wise as you'll get to something "Miami-ish" and I've noticed they film a LOT of scenes in the area. Wish I knew when they were filming though to go sneak a peak :scratch:

7. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I think that's really well-put. He's an anti-hero, and it was great in the beginning of the series how you would feel uneasy to root for him. His biggest adversary was Doakes, who was a bully but one of the good guys. Now, Dexter's facing-off with serial-rapists and mass-murderers. What next- Nazi child molesters that kick puppies?

It was better when it was harder to forget that Dexter was evil like the people he targeted.

Jogeta likes this.
  8. s_the_fallen

s_the_fallen Contributor

What a horrible ending!

Last season I was left shocked and amazed when Rita was killed. This seasons ending was complete bullshit! WTF! I do not think I am going to watch Dexter anymore.

Jogeta likes this.
  9. jaredowty

jaredowty SS.org Regular

Exactly. Season One was based off the first book so it already had the basic framework for an entire season, then just expanded off it. Season Two was all original but equally well thought-out -
    they knew that the ending would involve a showdown between Dexter and Doakes, with all the tension and incredible moral ambiguity that came with it.
    Season Three broke that pattern and, like many other shows, was written without the end in mind. Season Four suffered from this too,
    they killed off Rita last minute because they had nothing else to do, and it worked because A) Everyone hated Rita at that point B) It was incredibly shocking because there was almost no foreshadowing to it on the finale C) It was disturbing, very well done ending.
    From the sounds of it, they didn't have any "big" thing to do at the end of season (like killing off a major character, and it's too early in the series for
    Deb to find out
    if they're planning on having a few more seasons.

I watched episode nine of Season Five, and that "powerful ending" everyone was talking about was pretty pathetic IMO. All it did was show the sloppiness of the writers and how terrible Julia Stiles really is (she was trying waayy to hard to look frightened). I don't even feel compelled to finish the season now, and based off everyone's reviews it isn't worth it.

:lol:

Well, its disheartening to see a well written show go to shit. But we don't take it as seriously as you're implying. If you like pretentious crap, then good for you, I'm sure 90% of TV out there caters to you. I wish I was like that, but I can't help being critical.

10. Kavnar

Kavnar SS.org Regular

I thoroughly enjoyed this season.

11. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

I don't watch 90% of TV. I don't even have it hooked up in my room. Only reason we pay for TV is because the other people in my house like it, and it gets bundled with my internet. I just download all the shit I want to watch, like Dexter, Breaking Bad, and a few other TV shows. I mostly watch movies and documentaries these days.

12. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Have loved seasons 1,2,4, didn't like 3 very much (was poor), and season 5 was on par with 3, just a bit far fetched and rubbish. Still, after season 3 they did 4 which was brilliant, so hopefully they'll pull their fingers out and make season 6 good, just a shame it's going to be 9 months before it starts again ...

Also, that woman in this series, Julia Stiles, incredibly annoying...