Dexter Season Five

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by cyberwaste6996, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Mr Violence

Mr Violence SS.org Regular

I have been wondering why I've been in a sour mood since I left my buddy's house where I watched the last episode. No one even said anything about it after it was over. That alone should've told me that the ending was garbage.

Orb: All the points you made are spot on. The more you point out, the more I see, too.

Rev: Let me try to add to the gaping plotholes everyone's seeing.

I'll have to agree that the stolen car is absolutely absurd. Not to mention that no one saw Dexter smash a car window with a huge rock (where the fuck did that come from anyway?) in a crowded parking lot. If no one back at HQ can put together the fact that a car was stolen around the same time as a murder investigation blocks away from the murder, then it's a miracle they can even figure out if Liddy is dead or alive. Or if the van was white, or if they were on the coast of the Atlantic or Pacific. But I'll be damned if LaGuerta doesn't immediately see a spot of blood on Quinn's shoe that could easily be dirt and know exactly what it is and arrest him on the spot. Oh, please. Blow me.

Everyone's attitude changed just for it to end nicely. Emily Birch is laying dead in her house. The PD are apparently just giving up on Jordan Chase and the 4 other victims and the Fuentes brothers case. Quinn and Dexter and Deb are all buddies.

The biggest plot holes are with Quinn, though. I said earlier in the thread that Trinity's son can definitely confirm the picture that he was showed is Kyle Butler, and you know damned sure the FBI would press him on the only lead they have. Almost everyone knows Quinn was looking into Dexter. Did NO ONE think that his involvement with Liddy might be in relation to his Dexter hunch? Especially if all the equipment was signed out on his name. Dexter fudges blood work for Quinn to get off and Quinn asks absolutely no questions? Dexter doesn't have any questions for Quinn? If Dexter wasn't worried about himself, would he let Quinn off? Doesn't this basically telegraph to Quinn that Dexter definitely killed Liddy? Maybe Dexter let Quinn off to murder the shit out of him, too. I sure as hell would be curious as to what compelled Dexter to keep me out of prison, because it's usually to murder the fuck out of someone. Also, so the blood doesn't match. There's still a fucking mountain of circumstantial evidence pointing at Quinn for Liddy's murder. Phone calls, the equipment being under his name, Deb saw Liddy at Quinn's house numerous times. Did they ever hear any voicemails left by Liddy, like LaGuerta said? If I remember, he left a very scathing one about Dexter from his van. Did Deb just forgive him because of the blood results? What about him NOT TELLING HER ANYTHING about his involvement with Liddy? Is she just going to let that slide?

Don't get me wrong, I wanted Dexter and Quinn to get along. I wanted him and Deb to be okay. I just wanted it to make more sense than this.

The scene where Lumen leaves could've been replaced this dialogue:

Julia Stiles: "Hey, they can't afford me for another season so, peace out."
    Michael C. Hall: "Later."

It's legitimately the only reason she left.

And so what if the nanny is Lyla's aunt? Was she just waiting around until Dexter needed a nanny? Why hasn't she done anything yet? Why would she stand idly by for so long? Why is she so goddamned nice? It doesn't make sense, just the this entire episode.

Ugh. :realmad: This whole mess is getting to me. Such a stupid clusterfuck. Give us episode 13 and maybe even 14 to clean up this disaster of a finale, please. This is the first time that I'm not looking forward to the next season. I might not even watch it.

orb451 likes this.
  2. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

@Mr. Violence:

I'm seriously thinking the writers are going to paint it that both Quinn and Deb know Dexter was involved in the vigilante killings and with Quinn definitely knowing he killed Liddy and Deb maybe having a hunch as well.

I don't think it's odd that he got Quinn off the hook, he had to or risk Quinn going to jail and spilling the beans on him. So, this is one case where he had no choice but to let Quinn live knowing his secret. He can't kill Quinn cause he doesn't fit the code and he wasn't even planning on killing Doakes either, Lila did it. Quinn on the other hand is turning a blind eye for Deb and probably because he, like Deb, feels those men deserved it anyway.

As for the nanny, God help them if they do make her Lila's relative, that would be soooo stupid. For one, didn't they say Lila was English and the nanny is clearly Irish? Sure sure, I know they can easily be related still but it would be soooo stupid.

Rev.

3. orb451

orb451 Banned

Agreed with both of you (Mr. V and Rev) on all counts. This just gets more and more absurd, the closer you look at it. I guess we should be happy that we'll get another season, but at the rate they're going... I dunno :noplease:

Remember when Lundy was running an FBI investigation? *That* guy would NEVER have let certain leads just slip by. Guy was like a bloodhound. And yeah the circumstances around most of the key plot points of this final episode are just laughable and poorly written.

Reminds me of the Fuck You we got from the writer(s)/creator of The Sopranos back when that shit ended. Fail imo.

4. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Not meaning to take this Off Topic, but I don't know if you were a fan but the end of Lost was the absolute epitome of "Fuck you all!! Muahahahah!!!" writing.

They didn't explain *anything* at all! Not one single bit was really explained. I've found this seems a common thing with JJ Abrams work. Lost was a bunch of shit pulled out the writers asses and never explained. He had Cloverfield which also had no explanation at all. Where did the creature come from? Why was it attacking the city? At least we knew Godzilla's origin, story, and reasons. Shit, there were even quite a few plot issues with Star Trek that weren't addressed. As a result I now avoid all of his work like the plague.

Rev.

5. Mr Violence

This is a trend that I hate. And what my interpretation every time it happens, in every instance, is that the writer's wrote themselves into a corner, so they "left it up to the viewer". They look edgy while in reality, they just fucking suck and couldn't make it make sense. Let's be honest, a lot of suspense come from reveals and explanations. We don't need to know everything, but goddamn it, at least TRY to make sense of what the fuck is happening. Throw us a bone. We just sat through 11 hours of a season. You Lost people sat through It's fun when you find out how something happened and see how clever it is. The first season of Dexter played out just like that.
    How Dexter was on the scene where Rudy wanted him to kill Deb and she just wakes up and Dexter immediately fights with Rudy. Then, the cops show up and Dexter is a hero because he was trying to save his sister. It was clever. Maybe a little far-fetched, but it made a little bit more sense.

When I think about an ambiguous plot device left up to the viewer that had a good effect, something as simple as the ending to Inception. You still understand pretty much EVERYTHING that took place and how complex and clever it was. It was just a minor detail that meant everything about the movie. It was neat.

Seems like writer's today are mistaking that little quirk about "maybe it's this and maybe it's that" for a big "I have not the faintest idea as to ANYthing that just happened."

I'm in the chatroom if anyone wants to piss and moan about it with me, because as sad as it is, it really ruined my goddamned day.

EDIT: Sidenote, the finale of the first season legitimately me tear up a little bit. I couldn't help but feel bad for Dexter. That kill was emotional. Season 5's final kill sucked. There was no feeling of retribution or emotion. I was just waiting for it to happen, and nothing more.

6. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

You guys have all nailed it. Mind-fuckingly-lazy writing to close out what seemed to have been fixin' to be a decent follow-up to season 4 and making Jimmy Smitts seem like a distant memory.

My first thought was that it was nice to have a season-ending that wasn't too busy and to end on a melancholic note (Dexter nursing a broken heart and bitterly narrating that wishes are for children). The more I thought about it, the less satisfying it was, and eventually I just became pissed-off.

7. thefool

thefool SS.org Regular

yeah what the hell, it ended with no cliffhanger... at least none that i saw

8. Demiurge

9. Dea7h

Dea7h Member

Agreed with most of you guys about how this last episode turned, though I lived the same shit than Dexter's.

I immediatly understood that this ending episode was meant to be butchered as soon as Quinn told to Laguerta that he wasn't going to say anything about Liddy's murder, which made him be the prime suspect.
    Com' on it's like telling us : "Ok guys, we have only 50minutes and Lumen still needs to get saved so let's just free Dexter so he can go and do his things".
    But I wasn't too surprised by the last part where Lumen tells to Dexter that she doesn't feel anything anymore and that she had to go.. well things like that happen.. it actually remembers me of my ex-gf.. everything was going good between us.. then one day she suddenly decides that our relation should stop there with no fucking damn reason.BITCH
    I guess that's what happens when you are too good/kind with a person.. just like how Dexter killed all those fuckers who raped Lumen, and when his job was done she's like kthxbye.

Jogeta likes this.
  10. Leper

Leper YAAARGH

Disappointing finale :noway:

thank God julia stiles left though

11. CFB

CFB SS.org Regular

I am hopeful for season 6 because the writers know from all the feedback that they screwed up bigtime. I've never seen anyone liking this season. I hope they see that and give themselves a big kick in the ass and do a good job for the next one.

12. Mr Violence

I keep checking this thread hoping there's an episode 13 or someone explains more shit to me, but it's not going to happen. :noway:

One last thing. What happened to the new detective that took Deb's desk? Did they just drop that, too? She wasn't around the last few episodes, if I recall correctly.

13. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

I liked this season :lol:

I don't understand why people have such high expectations of a TV show. It's a TV show, if you don't like it, don't watch it :shrug: People seem to be offended that there's plot holes and shit doesn't always make sense. If I wanted super realistic, I'd go gas up my car, maybe do a little banking, and grab a burger on the way home.

14. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I liked this season too until the last episode. I think you've probably misread most of the posts or are misinterpreting them. No one said a show has to be completely realistic and that there can't be any plotholes. The problem is the inordinate amount of plot holes to the point where it becomes too blatantly obvious to ignore. As for your "high expectations" comment... well when a show is fucking amazing with great writing how can it not come as a let down to have such a rushed anticlimactic ending full of holes? The writers create high expectations by doing some killer writing. Are people not allowed to judge anything anymore?? Can we not have opinions and discuss a TV show?

Rev.

Jogeta likes this.
  15. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

I really dug this season, a lot of suspense and close calls. You can be let down and judge it, it just seems people are unusually pissed off about this season.

16. orb451

orb451 Banned

Well Rev said it best, when you come to expect what you experience as "greatness" from a show, anything less than that can be hard to stomach.

While this season may not have been an outright trainwreck, it's certainly not (to me anyway) on par with previous seasons. And the season finale was as vapid and banal as anything I'd come to expect from an "average" show on any network.

Granted, I'm not staging protests, or waiting outside the WB lots with pitchforks and torches, but my anger is more like serious disappointment. However, I *hope* that the writers/creators *listen* to those of us that are unhappy and adjust accordingly next season... Only time will tell on that one though.

17. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

I actually dig this season more than previous ones. My only complaint is
    that they didn't have a cliff hanger for next season
    , which I guess is good in a way, but that in itself is a departure from the norm for the show.

18. CFB

CFB SS.org Regular

"God hates Dexter season 5" :fawk:

19. Demiurge

She just disappeared. My guess is that she's on a fishing trip with the remaining Santa Muerta guy, Astor's friend's step-dad, and the police officers investigating the murder of the guy Dex savaged at that boathouse.

20. Mr Violence

I think the defining factor of good writing is knowing what you're doing from the start. Plan out a basic storyboard and then flesh it out over 12 episodes.

It genuinely feels like they wrote each episode one after another without an outline. It went off in a lot of tangents that all had a lot of potential, then they realized, "Oh shit, we only have 1 episode to wrap this all up." Then they scrambled. That's what it feels like.

Even in the Julia Stiles interview, she mentioned how she wouldn't have done it the way they did it, and it seems silly for her character to leave. Then Chip Johannessen's interview mentioned they wanted a completely clean slate for next season.

This actually explains a lot, mainly because we already said it seemed like they just wanted everything wrapped up neat and tidy. This confirms it, and instead of making a thrilling and clever end to all these plot tangents, they wrote with the foundation of "we need a clean slate," first.

As I stated earlier, in my opinion, good writing is something meticulously thought out and enormous details are not disregarded. Immediately when this ended, I was asking questions. It's astonishing that no one in this writing circle mentioned any of the things we brought up.

TL;DR
    It seems that nowadays writer's can get away with writing off the cuff in whichever direction they please, then when it comes time to put it all together, since they didn't plan it in the first place, they either cobble something together or "leave it up to the viewer". This is going on in so many movies and shows lately. It's garbage. It's unacceptable, really. It should not feel like we're getting the first draft of a script. That's my :2c:.