Dexter Season Five

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by cyberwaste6996, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

So the wife and I knew the Lumen romance thing would happen eventually. I actually think they did it nicely. I also like how it really seemed inevitable since they basically partnered up to get these guys and now he has someone who shares his secret and with whom he's basically teaching in a sense. I loved the tense moment where Deb and Quinn go into Tilden's house and you think they'll be in that room and get caught but were instead next house over. Clever :)

Was a great episode!

Rev.

2. Mexi

Mexi SS.org Regular

yeah definitely a great episode! only 2 left, should be quite good.

3. daybean

daybean ... Contributor

very good point daybean. maybe both.

4. CFB

CFB SS.org Regular

I think Chase will kill Debra. Am I alone in thinking this? I seriously doubt that Lumin will die because it would repeat last season over again.

5. Mr Violence

Mr Violence SS.org Regular

Some strange things I was thinking of:

Wouldn't Arthur Mitchell's kid mention to someone that Quinn knew Kyle Butler? It's the FBI's only lead. I'd assume they'd pursue it.
    How can Quinn turn a blind eye when he legitimately saw Dexter up to some super sketchy shit? I get that he loves Debra but come on.

On another note, the episode was good. Lumen will not kill out of line. You can tell by the way she acts. She's not Miguel. Miguel always put off a bad vibe. Dexter will not kill Lumen. Robocop might. She's a guest actress. She's an A-List movie actress at that. She would be a neat addition to the cast, as she plays her character well and seems to genuinely care about Dexter's family, but I don't know if she'd sign on for another season.

I'll tell you what I'd really like to see. I'd like to see Dexter be the balls-out badass he was in the first couple seasons. One step ahead of everyone. He fucks up too much in the past couple seasons. He's always almost caught. I understand suspense, but he's supposed to be the best, and he as of late comes off as a washed up pro that's passed his prime. He's ALWAYS overlooking something, cutting something too close. I miss the random side kills. He always used to have a little time per episode or 2 to off some jackass. And he always did it with finesse.

The Alex Tilden scene was exactly what it should've been. 100% clean and badass. All loose ends tied.

I would be super happy if he cleverly outsmarted Chase and absolutely annihilated him. Bring back Dexter the Bad Ass Motherfucker:

jaredowty likes this.
  6. orb451

orb451 Banned

Just going to put this whole thing up with spoiler tags:

I think with only 2 episodes left that there's not much wiggle room for the writers. As far as the Quinn/Liddy thing goes, I can only think that Quinn will not get involved. I mean, more than he already is. I think if anything, either Quinn himself or someone higher in the food chain will discover that Liddy got the suveillance equipment with a forged signature. My money is on Quinn discovering that himself. And my money is on Quinn taking out Liddy himself too. Quinn seems to have some rage issues of his own and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he killed Liddy intentionally or not, upon discovering the full scale of what he's been up to.

So yeah, Liddy's going to wind up dead, by either Quinn or Dexter. As for the evidence he's collected, I think that'll be the season closer. I think they'll end it with Jordan getting whacked (obviously) by Dexter/Lumen and then Quinn unboxing or watching all the videos that Liddy had collected with a big "hmmmm" moment where he can decide to keep pursuing Deb and save that golden ticket for later, or, say to hell with Deb and be on the verge of getting that info through official channels, thus starting the "end" of Dexter. There's no way around it, Liddy's got him on tape dumping a fucking body with Lumen, he's got him plotting with her on Tilden's murder on tape and even rehearsing how it'll be done. It's game over for Dexter if that information comes to light and even more so if/when they finally discover that she's the lucky "13" girl.

I think Jordan's mind-control puppet will wind up being forgotten or taken out by Jordan himself very soon.

And I'm with you 100% Mr. Violence, gone is the Dexter of old that was always ahead of the game. Now he's getting sloppier every episode. And I think it's Dexter's fault for getting sloppy on his own AND letting Lumen into his life and taking that slop to another level. I mean what's next season going to be? Happy homicidal serial killer family???? Dex/Lumen, the dynamic duo of vigilante justice? I think it's silly to have him pair up with someone who really *knows* him. Part of his charm is his *hiding* things in plain sight. Being the guy that you *think* you know, but don't know *really*.

7. Mr Violence

I know this is far-fetched, but stick with me:

Debra realized killing a shithead doesn't bother her at all. Lumen is on board with killing people. Quinn's secret might be along the same lines. What if they were all okay with what Dexter is doing? Rag-tag team of 4 vigilante justice, working together to rid the world of garbage.

That's too along the lines of an action show and lacks the soul that made this whole show possible. But goddamn, it'd be a fun ride that NO one would expect.

Well, a man can dream. :rofl:

orb451 likes this.
  8. orb451

orb451 Banned

Actually, you may be on to something!
    Deb all but admitted that she wasn't as irked by her killing of that Fuentes brother as maybe she *should* have been. I wonder if there was something in Harry's DNA that's more pronounced in Dexter but also there in Deb too. And with Quinn flying off the handle with rage issues, you might just be right. Instead of getting caught as an individual, maybe next season will be about all of them together trying to avoid detection.... it's about time Deb and Dex were on the same page.

Mr Violence likes this.
  9. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

100% agreed :agreed: I also am a bit irked by the taming down of things. In the very first episode Dexter starting killing the child murderer perv with the drill. All the episodes of late have them killing all the victims simply with a knife in the chest, kinda too quick and easy. lol.

@CFB - I highly doubt they would kill off Deb. Unless the show is in it's final season I doubt they'd do that. No reason to either, I mean Dexter already lost his wife and the kids are living with the Grannie's (for now at least). He took out Miguel who was closest friend for a short period, he had to take out Lila whom he had originally become close to, etc. I get the whole, "You need to be alone" driving ideology but it would be pushing it too far for them to eliminate Deb now. Besides, what would they replace her with... another newbie in the show? Been plenty of those already.

Rev.

10. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

@Orb - Just wanted to point out that technically speaking no matter how incriminating the evidence is... if it was obtained illegally like Liddy did it then it would all be completely inadmissible in court. However, at that point everyone would put the pieces together that Dexter is the BayHarbor Butcher. But it won't get that far, it couldn't for the show to keep on.

Heh - edit by the way... Dexter doesn't have any of Harry's "DNA" ;)

Rev.

11. orb451

orb451 Banned

Yeah, effectively that'd turn the whole show into a legal drama about Dex in court, and make the damned thing another SVU episode :lol:

And really? I thought
    that Harry was Dexter's real dad, that he'd had an affair with the CI (Dex's biological mom) and *that* was how Dexter came to be, but that Dexter's brother, the Icetruck killer, was from a different dad... no???

12. Mr Violence

Joe Driscoll was his real dad, Harry just adopted him. Harry was sleeping with Laura Moser, but is not Dexter's father. I think...

13. orb451

orb451 Banned

Gotcha, I vaguely remember that name now... :yesway:

14. harkonnen8

harkonnen8 SS.org Regular

Man you got me addicted :D

46 episodes watched after your comment was made.

15. jaredowty

jaredowty SS.org Regular

+Rep. This is one of the problems of the series as of late that's hardly ever mentioned. The only way they can squeeze tension and suspense out of a storyline is to have Dexter fuck up by being sloppy, or a tired improbable plot twist.

Dexter was such a badass in the first two seasons and that's what I loved about him, he knew what he was doing. The Doakes headbutt video is a perfect example.

16. Dea7h

Dea7h Member

OFF : Did anyone know that Dexter's (Michael C. Hall) sister (Jennifer Carpenter) is actually his wife in real life :eek: ?

17. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

known that tidbit for a year now, although i imagine it's gone back farther than that

18. Mexi

Mexi SS.org Regular

great episode yesterday, liddy got his and it looks like deb et al are putting everything together. previews make it look like an intense finale

19. Mr Violence

Watched the recent one yesterday. Intense. Cannot wait.

20. s_the_fallen

s_the_fallen Contributor

How badass was it when Dexter just killed Liddy and Quinn was outside the van?!?! Liddys blood dripping on Quinns shoe? Awesome! Prob the best scene of the season.