Dexter Season Five

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by cyberwaste6996, Sep 26, 2010.

1. kung_fu

kung_fu Vulcan Lute God

2. Mexi

Mexi SS.org Regular

fucking Masuka:lol:

3. PulpoxisxurxGOD

PulpoxisxurxGOD I like Twoitels.

win. also notice that liquor collection behind him. no wonder he's always asking people to go out to drink in the series!! booozehound hahaha.

4. jaredowty

jaredowty SS.org Regular

This was a bad episode, the writing was cheesy with many cringe worthy moments (even worse than Clyde Phillips' season three and four premieres) and the flashback scenes were borderline soap opera. Plus the season in general looks incredibly formulaic.

*sigh* Dexter was once great and original, but now feels like "normal" TV.

5. Mexi

Mexi SS.org Regular

I can't think of many soap operas where someone excuses himself from a date to go kill someone. And "normal" television hardly has people getting brutally bludgeoned to death with an anchor for no apparent reason. imo, I don't think the deb/quinn love thing will play out, nor will quinn get killed (precisely because it seems too formulaic for it to happen like that) after season 4, I'll give the writers the benefit of the doubt to come up with a spectacular season. I think its wayyy to early to draw ANY conclusions whatsoever based on one hour of the new season.

6. jaredowty

jaredowty SS.org Regular

I meant the awkward dialogue and the direction style - totally soap opera but with the obvious Dexter twist. It's no longer shot like cinema, it looks like network TV. And the whole scene was completely lame -
    like Rita would have ever called Dexter back after he ditched her and acted like a complete weirdo.
    But that's what this show has become - less and less believable and more ridiculous with each season. Paper thin characters (besides Dexter, Trinity and Miguel) and predictable storylines (besides the occasional improbable twist like
    OMG CHRISTINE iZ ARTHUR'S DAUGHTER LAWL).
    I fucking love the first two seasons though.

You're right, "regular" network TV doesn't have people getting bludgeoned to death, because it's censored. Showtime isn't censored, but still has all the annoying things that I hate about network television, especially lately (Weeds, Dexter, Californication, and US of Tara have all gone sour and the new shows premiering seem to be relying more on the face value of well-known actors than quality storytelling). Showtime is also very proud of gratuitous sex and violence scenes. The heavy themes and sense of realism are gone.

HBO FTW.

7. orb451

orb451 Banned

So after last night's episode:

I'm thinking this is the same pattern/plot device they used with Miguel Prado last season. That is, this new chick... Dex can't rightfully kill her because that would be out of code. Yeah, you could argue that he could rage kill her like the dude in the bathroom earlier this season, but that seems unlikely. So she gets to live and looking at the previews, it looks like it's headed in the same direction as Miguel. She tags along, has a list of targets for him and is basically using Dex's skills to get her dirty work done.

Seems like a win/win but clearly she's unstable and my thinking is that she's either going to go batshit loco and cross that fine line between blackmail and extortion, or target someone on the *fringes* of what Dex would consider acceptable, thus making it open season on her as far as Dex is concerned. Either way, she's gotta go. She's too much of a liability.

That and the Quinn angle is *really* starting to remind too much of Doakes. Sure he got put on leave, but so what? Like that's going to stop him from continuing his hunt. My guess would be that somehow, some way, he's going to get some kind of confirmation from one of Trinity's family members that Dex is Jack Butler... er Kyle Butler, wrong movie, and either confront Dex directly or take it to the FBI. Plot wise, seems like a show down between him and Dex is inevitable, so the sooner he winds up on Dex's table the better...

8. Mr Violence

Mr Violence SS.org Regular

I like where it's going so far. I understand the parallels you're drawing but I just hope Quinn =/= Doakes and Lumen =/= Miguel.

My opinion of the season so far is that I'm actually really, really entertained. :yesway:

Also:
    I hope the nanny plays a much bigger part in the season. Something about her just seems off. She's way too 1-dimensional.

9. orb451

orb451 Banned

My view is:
    That unfortunately she probably will remain 1 dimensional. I think the writer's have given Dex enough drama to deal with for the moment. I think the nanny just serves as plot-device to allow Dex the time away from his kid. Normally Rita would be doing that for him, but since she's gone and Deb's got her own life, he needed a baby sitter. If anything, the only drama I see coming from her is more nagging about where Dex is at a given time and when he'll be home so she can leave and go on about her life.

She's too old and homely to be a love interest for him, so I think she'll just serve as a mother-figure for Harrison and possibly Dex at most...

10. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I'm definitely diggin the new season. It's gonna be hard to top the insanely uncomfortable feeling that the finale of season 4 left me with though, that was probably the best season finale of anything ever.

11. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Season 4 ended perfectly, but subjectively, it's hard to say if it's because things getting super fucked-up for the next season or just because
    I hated Rita so very very much
    . By the way, with respect to spoilers, do we have to spoiler tag
    Rita being dead
    anymore?

I have to confess, though, I'm more interested in the
    cult murder
    story line than Dexter's own story line. Julia Stiles is hit or miss as far as likability goes, and I think she's leaning towards a "miss" at this point. I'd rather see her limbs getting dumped off of a boat than Quinn's at this point. Speaking of, I'd really like to see Quinn not have the same fate as Doakes' but rather for there to be some sort long-running, fucked-up business relationship between the two.

12. maxident213

maxident213 SS.org Regular

Peter Weller's character looks interesting. His mannerisms & the way he delivered his lines were very reminiscent of how he played William Burroughs/"Old Bull Lee" in Naked Lunch, which I loved. :agreed:

I'm still enjoying this series, but I think Season 2 was its peak. The tension between Dexter & Doakes was amazing, but for me, Dexter's greatest adversary was Lundy.

13. feeleuphoria

feeleuphoria SS.org Regular

Gotta say i freakin love this show so much. It's amazing. I dont know about the new director though. Writing is somewhat cheesier in my opinion but its still great. My ONLY real complaint is that the whole Quinn Dexter story isn't playing on faster! i know its only been 5 episodes, but it seems like they are dragging!

14. sebby123

sebby123 Banned

I think its worth pointing out i read all the books before watching the show, and season one and two were dead on with books every little detail. but as soon as season 3 came along they didnt follow the third book and started there own story which i think is a shame as the third book was one of my favorites. I really do think the "main" killer at the moment might turn into this seasons mass murder as it has alot in common with the killer in book 3... Hmmm..

15. jaredowty

jaredowty SS.org Regular

:scratch:

Apparently you didn't really read the books...only the first season is connected to the novels, and is very different from the first book in its details (Darkly Dreaming Dexter). DDD is waaayyy shorter and condensed compared to its TV counterpart, with plenty of noticeable differences (
    it's only told from Dexter's point of view, characters like Rita and Angel hardly show up at all, The Ice Truck Killer has a different name and slightly different M.O., he never hooks up with Deb, and the book has a different ending where LaGuerta dies and Brian gets away.
    I could go on for days). There are places where the dialogue is exact or nearly exact to the books, however. The second book is nothing like the second season,
    besides the tension between Dexter and Doakes. Dr. Danco from the second book kind of went into the creation of The Skinner in season three.

16. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Anyone watch the new episode? Masuka's visuals are fucking AWESOME :lol: You'll know what I mean when you see it :lol:

17. s_the_fallen

s_the_fallen Contributor

So far this season has been a let down. It does not help matters that I hate Julia Stiles.

18. DatM

DatM Active Member

I was laughing so much during that scene...classic Masuka. In slow motion too!

19. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Yeah, I'm starting to turn on her after initially giving her a chance. She looked fine in the black wig and sun dress in the last episode, though. I had to remind myself that it was Julia Stiles and therefore at least 65% annoying.

20. jaredowty

jaredowty SS.org Regular

This season sucks and Julia Stiles is not a good actor.