Devildriver Parts Ways With John Boecklin & Jeff Kendrick

UltraParanoia

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Drummer John Boecklin and guitarist Jeff Kendrick have exited DEVILDRIVER, the California-based band fronted by COAL CHAMBER singer Dez Fafara. Dez says: "Nothing dramatic [happened], [and there were] no drag-down fights; [it was] just time to move on.

He added: "As I have said previously, DEVILDRIVER is on hiatus while I rejoin COAL CHAMBER for a new record release and tour.
"DEVILDRIVER will be back, make no mistake of that, in 2016 with a new record which we are already writing, tours around the world and the massive pits you have all gotten used to.
"All in DEVILDRIVER wish John and Jeff the best."

Said Kendrick in a statement: "I want to thank our fans all over the world for allowing me to live the dream of playing guitar in DEVILDRIVER for the last 12 years. It will be some of the fondest memories I will ever have, and it has been a tremendous honor and a pleasure to play for everyone, everywhere.

"I want to make it clear that this is my decision, and I have nothing but love for all my brothers in the band. I revere my bandmates with the utmost respect and am happy for the experiences we have all shared.
"I am moving forward as an executive in my company All Axess and have several other things in the works.
"Thank you to all the fans, I love you all! This is just the beginning for me!"
Boecklin and Kendrick played their last show with DEVILDRIVER as part of this past weekend's Knotfest in Devore, California.
Bummer. I was only thinking a few days ago while listening to Winter Kills how underrated of a drummer John is.
I would imagine that Jeff is a main songwriter of sorts, that'll hurt

Chiba666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thats the end of Devildriver then, even though I like Fury, Last kind words and Pray for villans were their best releases.

Your right John is a great drummer and Ive nejoyed Devildriver live when Ive seen them but the last 2 albums have left me abit meh to be honest.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I wish I could've see them live after Fury or Last Kind Words. Damn me for only being 13-15 years old. This is a bummer but I haven't listened to the last few albums, I couldn't get into Beast and just sort of gave up on them. Wonder who they'll get to replace them. I thought Jeff did a lot of the writing so I wonder what will happen going forward.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
Presumably that's the end of these then:

xlarge.png

Shame, nice looking guitar.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn. I didn't see that one coming. Hopefully they have other projects in the future. I always felt like Kendrick was a great contributor to DevilDriver. And obviously Boecklin's drumming is exceptional. This is a bummer. I wonder who they will get to replace them? "Winter Kills" was a GREAT record. The best they have released in some time.

UltraParanoia

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I totally agree, I think Winter Kills is without a doubt their best in a few releases.
Hopefully it doesnt become a trend of burning through members. Bass player you can get away with, but drummer & guitarists can hurt

BrailleDecibel

I keep my dad jokes in a dad-a-base.
Reaction score
Speaking of bassists, perhaps Devildriver's upcoming time off will give Chris Towning some time to switch back over to guitar and do some new Bury Your Dead? But then, if Slim is still playing with Bring Me the Horizon, not sure if that will happen. :(